My screen is typing too much

leroy157

Reaction score
Sorry if this is a known problem, but I'm new to using forums and desperately need some help.

I'm trying to use my onscreen keyboard, and it's overly sensitive and presses keys that I'm not even close to. For example:

"Hey, hows it going? Gllad testing. testing. How ware you kddooi ttessting. To. See how thisj this just in. Eveerything sseemzz. Luetz teezt. So how are hou today?
I shorter wwyish my jsscreeb. So how iss. So how i. Ssoo this is. Still boot working. I still caannllt get this to wkrrkk. How doo I get it to sstopp?"

That is straight out of my gmail drafts folder, and I have 5 more just like it with me testing my phone.

It types gibberish for me. This happened the very first night I got my phone 2 weeks ago, 2 times the next day, and 2 times since. I just literally got my phone replaced brand new in the store and 9 hours later it's doing the same thing. I have done factory resets where afterwards it still had this problem. I would go into the store, and they could never duplicate it.

With the new phone I got today, I have installed a bunch of apps, but I uninstalled all of the ones that were on my phone when I first started having this problem again.

I love the droid, but when I can't respond to a simple text because of this, and no matter how many cttrl+alt+deletes I do won't fix the issue, it's a little annoying. I have skinny fingers, but using the physical keyboard is cumbersome. I'm used to the on screen keyboard of BB Storm, so I'd rather not use the qwerty keyboard.

Any ideas, suggestions? I'm literally at a loss. I'm still within my warranty period, so if this keeps up, I guess it's back to my Storm.

Thanks

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Hmm...Not trying to be rude by any means, but if you've had this issue with 2 different phones and the associate(s?) In the store couldn't duplicate the issue, sounds to me like you need more practice typing...

Did YOU try typing something for them in the store like you did for your tests? If so, how'd that go, and how many times did you and/or the associate attempt?

Typed from my Droid using landscape for the above, and portrait for this sentence.

littlerick

Reaction score
was the charger plugged in each time it was doing it? the reason i ask is if you have a non-oem charger it cause it to do crazy things

Last edited:

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I don't use it but many people use Swype for their keyboard. I would suggest you give it a try. If it's still available that is.

krazyskott

Reaction score
I also had this problem, but I was using a blackberry charger at the time and it was over sensitive when I typed while it was plugged in. As soon as I went back to the Droid charger it stoped.

OP
L

leroy157

Reaction score
The charging ideas almost sound dead on!! I also am using a my BlackBerry Storm charger from before as my main charger, and was using an OEM charger I bought in an airport the other times it happened! Although I did still have problems after it was unplugged.

I'm going to make sure to use my Droid charger to see if I still have problems. I'm pretty stoked that someone else has had this problem, because I thought I was doing something wrong, and was going crazy! :icon_evil:

Oh, and no offense taken, Jonny Kansas. I am good at typing, although I admit the auto spell check correction feature does help quite a bit. :)

I will post at a later date to say whether or not I still have problems.

Thanks again all!

OP
L

leroy157

Reaction score
I would like to report that I haven't had a single instance of my keyboard over typing for me ever since I started using my droid charger again. Thanks for the advice, krazyskott! You saved my sanity on that one! :)

fortyinred

Reaction score
My phone does this too!

Its infuriating!! Up until now I have been using my storm 2 charger, so after reading this thread I switched to my moto charger last night. I had the exact same problem.

Symptoms:
-Screen is hypersensitive making it impossible to select app, type message or dial phone number (yes I have tried both swype and multitouch and no I don't suck at typing). The entire phone is very sensitive, not just texting (using handcent for texting).
-ONLY happens after it has been locked for a while
-Usually resumes to normal functioning after about a minute or too

I have brought it to the Verizon store twice now, both times to have them think I'm crazy (it usually starts behaving the instant I walk in the door, despite having thrown a fit on the walk over there).

I was originally worried that it was due to moisture on my fingers (I have to wash my hands a lot at work), but I had people with dry fingers use it too; same problem.

I only seem to have this problem after my phone has been locked for a while (few hours). Under what scenarios do other people have their problems?