my razr is getting hot in 4-10 mins in normal usage and feels its gonna burn

khaledkhalifeh

Reaction score
my razr is getting too hot in 4-10 mins of normal usage, and it could burn my hands and restart >>>>whats wrong with it <<its new> do you think that all motorola phones have the same issue ?? do u...

Caesars

Reaction score
What's the temperature outside where you live?

Googorola MAXX

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Welcome to the DROID forums. I would suggest running gsam and using the app sucker to see which app it is that's giving you the issue... but I think since you're getting 4 mins before it happens, just do a factory data reset.

This will be more involved to a point, but it will be easier because your device is shutting off within 4 mins...

If you want to try gsam first, you might be able to see what's making your processor work so hard... its a rogue app.. just need to know which one.

bwass

Reaction score
I am having similar problems i honestly think its just because its the summer and hot out

OP
K

khaledkhalifeh

Reaction score
THANK U ALL GUYS ESPECIALLY MR 94lt1
Moderator !!!! :):) BUT I WANNA KNOW Y DOESNT THIS PROBLEM HAPPENS WITH ALOT OF MOTOROLA PHONES AS I READ ALOT OF ARTICLES ABOUT JUST THE SAME PROBLEM !!!

yaterml

Reaction score
The Razr/Maxx has an issue with a couple of issues leading to heat problems. Combining the 4G radio and a bright screen, the Wifi Radio or charging it will cause the battery to heat up over 113 degrees once it does it will start heating up more often and faster. The excessive heat starts causing the chemistry of the Lithium Polymer Battery to break down.

sweeeeet

Silver Member
Reaction score
The Razr/Maxx has an issue with a couple of issues leading to heat problems. Combining the 4G radio and a bright screen, the Wifi Radio or charging it will cause the battery to heat up over 113 degrees once it does it will start heating up more often and faster. The excessive heat starts causing the chemistry of the Lithium Polymer Battery to break down.

are u saying because it's hot out he shouldn't use his 4g with a bright screen? he's talking about 10 mins or less of use... not 8 straight hours on the beach (which should be OK too) .. these are "mobile" phones not indoor phones... gsam could help to see if any apps are drawing too much but if it happens after everything seems OK maybe a full wipe or a trip to Verizon (over the phone is better than the store) might be necessary

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
If your phone has 3g/4g on with a poor signal or wifi on with no available wifi or if it is still set to global data... those things especially combined with 100° weather and screen brightness at 100% can cause it to get too hot. First thing would be to go into settings and make sure data is set to LTE/CDMA (Settings---> More...---> Mobile networks---> Network mode). Turn off wifi when wifi is not available. Turn off data if you are in a weak area. Turn screen brightness to auto.

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums

joshxdroid

Reaction score
TisMyDroid said:
If your phone has 3g/4g on with a poor signal or wifi on with no available wifi or if it is still set to global data... those things especially combined with 100° weather and screen brightness at 100% can cause it to get too hot. First thing would be to go into settings and make sure data is set to LTE/CDMA (Settings---> More...---> Mobile networks---> Network mode). Turn off wifi when wifi is not available. Turn off data if you are in a weak area. Turn screen brightness to auto.

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums

I agree, hot weather alone doesn't cause the overheat. But combining an overworked cpu with a bright screen and ambient heat will cause some problems. I don't worry about mine getting warm to somewhat hot anymore, but if you get the screen heat error, that's to hot. I got that one time since I've had my RAZR

yaterml

Reaction score
I have had 2 Razr Maxxs with this issue. Once you break that "thermal barrier" it will happen with just normal usage. My last phone would heat up to over 144 degrees (the max out of the internal thermometer) in the matter of minutes using 4G after my wife left it in the car on the charger. My new phone overheated because of a Wifi and 4G drain that caused it to spike. I had to put them on an ice pack because they were too hot! Just call Verizon and tell them it's heating to an excess of 144 degrees and they will overnight you a replacement. It's an explosion hazard at that temperature and li-po batteries explode violently especially because of heat.

yaterml

Reaction score
Thermatic protection should enable itself at 118 degrees preICS this feature on the RAZR was not available. Problem is about about 113 the battery will start deteriorating

jaybogg

Reaction score
I agree, hot weather alone doesn't cause the overheat. But combining an overworked cpu with a bright screen and ambient heat will cause some problems. I don't worry about mine getting warm to somewhat hot anymore, but if you get the screen heat error, that's to hot. I got that one time since I've had my RAZR

+1 ^ 1 time for me: App, Google navigation, phone in car dock, turned off ignition to go in convenience store ~10 min. Came out, had warning. Doesn't take much in right conditions.

Caesars

Reaction score
I never heard of it being a snowball problem, definitely not good lol. When i get into my car (if it's sitting outside), the maxx spikes to 120. I just assumed it was normal, however...if it's an accumulate problem :(.

Googorola MAXX

yaterml

Reaction score
Thermal display protection is just that. All it does is dim the display to prevent permanent burn in and to help cool the phone. It doesn't do anything to cool the processor, the battery, or the radios. So if you leave it on it won't matter

yaterml

Reaction score
Not saying it will happen to every phone, but as the battery chemistry breaks down bit will cause internal resistance in the battery which produces more internal heat during normal use and charging. Getting warm and hot are 2 different things. Lipo batteries have a lower high end temperature max than a lithium-ion battery. About 113-120 degrees versus 140-147. There have been other threads about this same issue. So your not the only one by far, but keep it as cool as you can. Make sure to keep GPS, Blue tooth, Wifi and 4G off when not in use. Be smart use smart actions I have one that disable data, wifi, gps, and such as well as turn down the screen brightness if left inactive orbif the screen turns off. I cannot 2-3 days with charging my phone easily with heavy usage because of setting up smart actions.