My only gripe with this phone is the Speaker Volume...

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
The external or internal one? If you mean internal I would have to agree, I can't remember the last phone that I could hear very well on. External is more than loud enough for me though, I usually have to turn it down.

parkschr

Reaction score
The external or internal one? If you mean internal I would have to agree, I can't remember the last phone that I could hear very well on. External is more than loud enough for me though, I usually have to turn it down.

I mean the external one. My droid incredible is quite a bit louder than the maxx. There is a big difference between the two.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Try the app volume+ at the play store. I use it on my xyboard for boosting audio. I love it.

But for music, I use power amp. It has an adjustable pre- amp and different gain levels. :) hope this helps?

For free, there are apps like audio EQ, and several others...

DROID RAZR MAXXIMIZED!!!!

OP
K

kpazzo6

Reaction score
Try the app volume+ at the play store. I use it on my xyboard for boosting audio. I love it.

But for music, I use power amp. It has an adjustable pre- amp and different gain levels. :) hope this helps?

For free, there are apps like audio EQ, and several others...

DROID RAZR MAXXIMIZED!!!!

thanks that volume+ app did the trick for the most part dancedroid

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
thanks that volume+ app did the trick for the most part dancedroid

Glad I could help :D

DROID RAZR MAXXIMIZED!!!! XPARENT BLUE!!!

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Ahh, that is one thing I learned from you a long time ago. My speaker phone works great after installing volume +. The one thing I'm not sure but almost was going to test it out...for the bass, treble, etc settings, should I adjust those or leave them alone?

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Ahh, that is one thing I learned from you a long time ago. My speaker phone works great after installing volume +. The one thing I'm not sure but almost was going to test it out...for the bass, treble, etc settings, should I adjust those or leave them alone?

I adjusted them. I don't want alot of bass going to this tiny speaker :)

altjx

Reaction score
Hmm, interesting. I've noticed this huge difference between my 4s and RAZR MAXX as well. You know how after you get something better and you try to make it appear that the flaws are still ok? Heh, that's me. I've also noticed too with the speaker that the person gets a little static as if they're too damn loud on the phone.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Hmm, interesting. I've noticed this huge difference between my 4s and RAZR MAXX as well. You know how after you get something better and you try to make it appear that the flaws are still ok? Heh, that's me. I've also noticed too with the speaker that the person gets a little static as if they're too damn loud on the phone.

Lol, agreed. But you have to consider this, you're getting a ton of volume out of a tiny speaker. This thing has a loud speaker that's smaller than air tweeters in some peoples cars.:screwy: And as far as I know, its cone is paper, the speaker magnet is pretty strong from what I've heard (I'd like to actually see for my self) but in manufacturing like this, I'm not sure the speakers get the same quality control as the chips, and the screen and so on.

Infact something I've learned in my years of being in and around music is this, your ears can get tired too, a lot of producers and engineers only work a few hours a day because of this, could you imagine 8-12 hours of listening to these tiny things? :banghead: lol.

But you're absolutely right, both of my maxx's are very different animals when it comes to the sound they will produce. The older one has more highs, the newer one has a better mid range response, while my wife's is flat as a board. This is with all 3 set up exactly the same way.

My xyboard.... that's a horse of a different color. :thumbdown:

EDIT: I'm very saddened to say this, but the difference in the iPhone 4s and any DROID as far as accurate music playback...... well that's the time that has been dedicated from IOS to just that. It breaks my heart that IOS is so far ahead of the game when it comes down to audio recording for music, or graphics design..... I had to buy an ipad3 just to get a really good recording interface with good playback.

With the I rig, I can record any instrument into an iPhone/pad through the headphone jack. They also have microphones and then the software like pro logic..... WOW... I'm blown away and I feel like a trader. But its not that I like IOS better for any reason cause I'm DROID through and through... but IOS has developed their interface for this purpose. Droid needs to do the same. I hate that there is absolutely nothing for android that will compete with the IOS setup.

I tried all sorts of apps for DROID, they recorded through the mic, not directly plugged... bad audio quality. But the apps were intuitive.

IOS, great audio quality, apps are also intuitive and have a far broader scope. Garage band, is a lower level app, but still stomps on android because of how you have to record on android. Fender fuse, free for me because I own a mustang 4 amp from fender.... better yet, all sorts of add ons and ways to manipulate your sound. LOGIC PRO, BEST recording app I've ever seen/used/heard of. Well worth the 200$ I spent on it, and it will interface with the fender software and recordings....

Please android, catch up!!! :( sorry, this is my plea. Android is just as good, If not better in many areas, but they just haven't spent the time on this like IOS has, and I wish that someone would. Heck call me up.. I'll help in development!!! If I can that is. :)

Last edited:

altjx

Reaction score
94lt1 said:
Lol, agreed. But you have to consider this, you're getting a ton of volume out of a tiny speaker. This thing has a loud speaker that's smaller than air tweeters in some peoples cars.:screwy: And as far as I know, its cone is paper, the speaker magnet is pretty strong from what I've heard (I'd like to actually see for my self) but in manufacturing like this, I'm not sure the speakers get the same quality control as the chips, and the screen and so on.

Infact something I've learned in my years of being in and around music is this, your ears can get tired too, a lot of producers and engineers only work a few hours a day because of this, could you imagine 8-12 hours of listening to these tiny things? :banghead: lol.

But you're absolutely right, both of my maxx's are very different animals when it comes to the sound they will produce. The older one has more highs, the newer one has a better mid range response, while my wife's is flat as a board. This is with all 3 set up exactly the same way.

Lol. Agreed.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
You are so right... you can't deny apple for having such superior products when it comes to PC's or ipods or ipads. Their whole purpose in iPod was music. And they just tweaked and added a few things to come up w an iPhone. If iPhones had the customization and flexibility that android does then I really don't think android would have a market. Android has to catch up in sound production for music b4 iPhone decides to become more customizable or they may lose their android fan base. But then again, allot of ppl choose iPhone simply for that reason...that it is easy without all the customization. So android just needs to catch up with music sound quality.

altjx

Reaction score
You are so right... you can't deny apple for having such superior products when it comes to PC's or ipods or ipads. Their whole purpose in iPod was music. And they just tweaked and added a few things to come up w an iPhone. If iPhones had the customization and flexibility that android does then I really don't think android would have a market. Android has to catch up in sound production for music b4 iPhone decides to become more customizable or they may lose their android fan base. But then again, allot of ppl choose iPhone simply for that reason...that it is easy without all the customization. So android just needs to catch up with music sound quality.

Agreed with this as well. :)

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7

EDIT: I'm very saddened to say this, but the difference in the iPhone 4s and any DROID as far as accurate music playback...... well that's the time that has been dedicated from IOS to just that. It breaks my heart that IOS is so far ahead of the game when it comes down to audio recording for music, or graphics design..... I had to buy an ipad3 just to get a really good recording interface with good playback.

With the I rig, I can record any instrument into an iPhone/pad through the headphone jack. They also have microphones and then the software like pro logic..... WOW... I'm blown away and I feel like a trader. But its not that I like IOS better for any reason cause I'm DROID through and through... but IOS has developed their interface for this purpose. Droid needs to do the same. I hate that there is absolutely nothing for android that will compete with the IOS setup.

I tried all sorts of apps for DROID, they recorded through the mic, not directly plugged... bad audio quality. But the apps were intuitive.

IOS, great audio quality, apps are also intuitive and have a far broader scope. Garage band, is a lower level app, but still stomps on android because of how you have to record on android. Fender fuse, free for me because I own a mustang 4 amp from fender.... better yet, all sorts of add ons and ways to manipulate your sound. LOGIC PRO, BEST recording app I've ever seen/used/heard of. Well worth the 200$ I spent on it, and it will interface with the fender software and recordings....

Please android, catch up!!! :( sorry, this is my plea. Android is just as good, If not better in many areas, but they just haven't spent the time on this like IOS has, and I wish that someone would. Heck call me up.. I'll help in development!!! If I can that is. :)

Jeez, are you trying to de-throne me for the longest posts?:blink:
By the way, the speakers in this phone are as you say...tiny. In fact, the are likely the smallest of their kind on any smart phone. That's good and bad. Size is the obvious good, frequency range and overall ability to move air (to create volume in the sound) are the bads.

You are right that this uses a very strong magnet (motor) relative to it's size, but I'll respectfully disagree about one comment. I believe great attention to design engineering and quality control were placed on these simply because of how small and yet how well they perform given the tiny space in which they have to work.

The engineers used a miniscule amount of case space inside the "bump" or "chin" (thicker top portion which houses the speaker, earpiece, two cameras, flash, proximity sensor, LED, and God knows what else is squeezed into that tiny space), to create a bit of a "bass reflex" cabinet, an acoustic suspension system for the speaker to both enhance bass response for more natural, warmer voice and audio, and to further increase volume. The space used was captured around the back and front with a tiny foam rubber grommet seal. It's very innovative in my mind, rather than molding the space into the case which would require a thicker phone form factor.

The images below show the rear speaker from behind and on the small image you'll see a thin black line running around the corner and across toward the middle, then down and back to the other direction. That's the grommet, and the additional space on the left is the air cavity created to mimic an acoustic suspension speaker. You can also see the contacts which are pressure sensitive for the speaker, a problem some have reported where the speaker cuts out, but with pressure in the middle of the back of the phone the speaker works again. Apparently the contacts might either not touch as well as hoped, or they build up a tiny amount of corrosion or dust between them and the board pads.

View attachment 50396View attachment 50397

The diaphragm is not paper, but a clear Mylar which is rather stuff and tears easily if attempts to remove the case back are not done properly and the spudger (pry tool) happens to hit it. The size of the transducer (speaker) is not incredibly small by headphone standards, in-ear ear buds, especially high end ones, can have upto three separate miniature transducers in a space far smaller than this. The real problems are the proximity to the ear drum, relatively far from it on the front (versus extremely close in the case of ear buds), and distant in the case of the speaker on the back, and the lack of a good acoustic coupling to the ear canal (sealed as in ear buds or over-ear headphones versus open-air as in on-ear headphones).

Both speakers are in the rear of the phone, but the earpiece transmits the sound to the front through a slot in the motherboard and out the top of the glass. Below you see in the tiny image the actual speaker (actually mounted on the back and the slot in the motherboard which you can see through the transducer inside is how the sound travels to the front), and you can see a small portion of the original "cone" or diaphragm where it was torn off accidentally by the guy doing the tear-down with the spudger, and you can see that it's clear plastic (mylar). On the large image is the entire back of the motherboard with all the RF shields removed to expose all the incredible circuitry and technology packed into this amazing device. Both speakers are oval, but the rear speaker is much larger and a wider oval, whereas the earpiece is very small - tiny, and very long and narrow of an oval. Just another note, round speakers are the most efficient at producing sound, an also oval speakers induce a certain cone warping distortion due to them flexing while moving in and out. It's simply a characteristic of the case design that dictated oval rather than round transducers, and round would be both louder and sound less distorted, with better tonality.

View attachment 50398View attachment 50400

For comparison, take a good set of headphones which likely has a considerably larger transducer and turn up the volume while not on your head, then hold it at the typical distance you hold your phone and notice how poorly the sound transmits and the lack of quality in the sound (frequency range).

What the accomplish with that tiny transducer is truly amazing in my book, but it can be scratchy at maximum volume due to being overdriven. Is it loud enough, no, but to be louder it would need to be bigger and that is simply the limit to it's performance.

Also when you place the phone against your ear, if you move it around slightly to position the earpiece accurately over you ear canal the sound can be greatly improved.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Xparent ICS Tapatalk 2 using Google voice to text translation. Please excuse any minor spelling, punctuation, capitalization or grammatical errors.

Last edited: