My New HTC Incredible keeps rebooting

mandroid

Reaction score
My New HTC Incredible keeps rebooting for no apparent reason. Reboots when just sitting with no apps running or in the middle of a song or movie. I have it powered and charging with the AC charger to see if it reboots then. Maybe its the battery heating, anyhow its going back tommorow for a new one.

robdroid

Reaction score
My New HTC Incredible keeps rebooting for no apparent reason. Reboots when just sitting with no apps running or in the middle of a song or movie. I have it powered and charging with the AC charger to see if it reboots then. Maybe its the battery heating, anyhow its going back tommorow for a new one.

Mandroid If you were my PC Client and you said this about your laptop Id say remove power cord and battery for few minutes then put it back together and retry

Oxyacetylene

Reaction score
This may not be the fix, but my old phone was still powered on so that I could be sure I had all of my data off of it. Since shutting the old phone off completely my Incredible has not rebooted. My old phone was still trying to access the network because I kept getting warnings about a PPP connection error...My Incredible rebooted several times after first activating it in the store and driving back to work. The rep at the store then told me there was a bulletin and the solution was to fully charge the phone and then remove the battery to perform a soft reset. I did this and the phone rebooted several more times after replacing the battery...This time I removed/replaced the battery and made sure my old phone was shut down and no reboots so far...

update* I just read online where someone else swapped from Tmo service to VZW and their new Incredible crashed/rebooted so having your old phone on the network probably has nothing to do with it...

Last edited:

word2218

Reaction score
mine is doing this as well.. rebooted 4 times in the past day that i've had it.. i've done a factory wipe, doesn't seem to help - anyone else having this issue?

Oxyacetylene

Reaction score
This is a widespread issue. One of my coworkers bought one yesterday too and his is doing the same thing. When I went back to the VZW store yesterday I was the third person to come back already. The charge fully and soft reboot "fix" doesn't help. Other information online says it may be a network issue with our area (NC)...waiting to see for sure.

I am waiting a few days before I mail off the rebate to be sure I can return the phone if needed. I really hope this can be fixed without a hardware exchange.

acharpe

Reaction score
Did you get it at Best Buy? If so, you didn't need a mail-in rebate. I was only Verizon that required you to mail in a rebate.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Well, I wouldn't say it's a wide spread issue. Have you guys thought that maybe you're running something that isn't playing nicely with your Incredible. Like do you have any anti virus or task killers?

Causes problems on Droids.

Also a simple battery pull for 30 seconds is something else you can try.

Oxyacetylene

Reaction score
I am leaning more towards the issue being signal/tower/network related. My coworker went into the store today and the folks at the store told him that an engineer had been at the store gathering information...

Sitting at my desk my phone has rebooted about 3 times today, but when I went into one of the offices in our building it went into a reboot loop and rebooted at least 5 times back to back. When I went back to my desk it stopped.

I would still like to know how a tower/network issue can make the phone reboot...

word2218

Reaction score
This is a widespread issue.

that's incorrect. it is a limited issue. if it were widespread the internets would've blowd up by now.

When I posted that last night it was not yet determined to be isolated to our region. Within our region the issue is pretty common.

what region are you in? I am in the Northeast.

I don't have any task killers or antiviruses installed, just the normal programs on my Motorola Droid that worked fine and didn't cause it to reboot/crash

Oxyacetylene

Reaction score
I am in the triad (Greensboro/High Point) area. The issue definitely seems focused to the NC area and an area in Louisiana. Latest word on the street is that engineers are in the area working on it. Hopefully will be a software update.

Oxyacetylene

Reaction score
Another quick update - I had one of my coworkers who also just purchased this phone go and sit in the same office where mine started the reboot loop and his phone did the same thing! He then spoke to an engineer who said the issue is with the roaming list in certain areas and the network switches.