Must stop crashing regularly

slinky

Reaction score
I don't have that much junk in the Droid but I can tell you that I have resets every day. It's less stable than my Palm Treos were that were defective. It's so flaky that it's scary. The "danger" apps? Weatherbug, screebl (now disabled), myLock and a Volume Lock. I'm getting that no icons on home screen issue all the time, at least once a day or two days, freezing that reboots, many apps have this issue. There really needs to be a plan for better overall stability of apps and OS.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
Are you stock? The only app of those 4 that I have is Screebl and that's working for me. Have you uninstall the others?

OP
slinky

slinky

Reaction score
So many of the apps seem to crash at will, especially those that access the SD card like Voice recorders, etc.

crspang

Reaction score
No prob here. I'm rooted and oc'd too.

There is a downside to android and that is the fact that some apps don't play well together, guess we'll have to deal with though.

Overall the good outweighs the bad and the ability to completely customize this phone exactly the way I want it is what i love about it.

If I have to put up with the occasional fc (extremely rare) then I will.

I think you have an app or two that either don't play well with others or were meant for android 1.6 or lower.

toddegreene

Reaction score
How long have you had your Droid? If it's less than 30 days you can return it for a new one or another device. Before you do that, try a factory reset. It will set your Droid back to the original state. If you're still having problems then return it.

OP
slinky

slinky

Reaction score
Returning the Droid does not solve the problems, at least I don't think so. It will take a ton of time to reinstall everything and restore (I don't like trusting all these backup apps and prefer fresh.) There are problems and others are having them. Just recently, as I posted above, I woke up to find my Droid had rebooted itself in the night until the battery died. After doing a pull it seems to be working fine again. Still, if apps don't play well with each other there should have been some design to prevent all of these conflicts. The bugs forum shouldn't be by far the most popular one.

crspang

Reaction score
Returning the Droid does not solve the problems, at least I don't think so. It will take a ton of time to reinstall everything and restore (I don't like trusting all these backup apps and prefer fresh.) There are problems and others are having them. Just recently, as I posted above, I woke up to find my Droid had rebooted itself in the night until the battery died. After doing a pull it seems to be working fine again. Still, if apps don't play well with each other there should have been some design to prevent all of these conflicts. Yes that design is the iPhone OS. Of course that = excessive restrictiveness though. The bugs forum shouldn't be by far the most popular one.Why shouldn't it be? That's how a lot people find forums like these.

Well maybe the best solution for you is another style or brand of phone.

I mean I've got 118 apps, rooted, OCd and have wifi tethering. Conventional wisdom would say that I would be the one with the problems you're describing, but I'm not.

OP
slinky

slinky

Reaction score
Returning the Droid does not solve the problems, at least I don't think so. It will take a ton of time to reinstall everything and restore (I don't like trusting all these backup apps and prefer fresh.) There are problems and others are having them. Just recently, as I posted above, I woke up to find my Droid had rebooted itself in the night until the battery died. After doing a pull it seems to be working fine again. Still, if apps don't play well with each other there should have been some design to prevent all of these conflicts. Yes that design is the iPhone OS. Of course that = excessive restrictiveness though. The bugs forum shouldn't be by far the most popular one.Why shouldn't it be? That's how a lot people find forums like these.

I mean I've got 118 apps, rooted, OCd and have wifi tethering. Conventional wisdom would say that I would be the one with the problems you're describing, but I'm not.
I don't know what you're running.

I'm also not sure whether you're recommending I get an iPhone or something else. As I said, I'm watching many people here with crashes. I know that K9 is rather extensive and could cause issues, has errors every day, occasionally. Unless there is a paid user base, corrections may not be priority. I wish that Android had decent stock apps which someone guaranteed to work properly or develop as a standard stock offering. The built in app is worthless.

As far as the rest, not being able to turn off that lock is ludicrous. The need for the ringer lock is unfortunately 100% necessary (did anyone test using the Droid for more than 10 minutes?)

There are many people posting here. If yours works well, for now, great. We need to troubleshoot what is wrong and what might be causing the problems.

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I don't have that much junk in the Droid but I can tell you that I have resets every day. It's less stable than my Palm Treos were that were defective. It's so flaky that it's scary. The "danger" apps? Weatherbug, screebl (now disabled), myLock and a Volume Lock. I'm getting that no icons on home screen issue all the time, at least once a day or two days, freezing that reboots, many apps have this issue. There really needs to be a plan for better overall stability of apps and OS.
Do you have any of the following installed:

Launcher2.1
Any Virus Program
Live Wallpapers
Home++
Any Automatic Task Killer
Any Automatic Unlock Program

Your problem is being caused by some apps that don't work well, or don't work well together. If you can not find the culprit - Do a factory reset and then start installing apps one at a time and slowly.

OP
slinky

slinky

Reaction score

Launcher2.1
Any Virus Program
Live Wallpapers
Home++

Your problem is being caused by some apps that don't work well, or don't work well together. If you can not find the culprit - Do a factory reset and then start installing apps one at a time and slowly.
None. A lot of apps just have problems. For example I'll be recording with voice - works perfectly for a couple of tries and then I get that familiar message "blah blah has stopped working" or something like that. I get a message to choose whether to "wait" or to quit the app. There are a lot of lag times when using an app. I'll have that google.apps error message too. I can't imagine that only a few others get them. I usual hit a dialog box and there isn't much of a consequence. It happens so often I just have forgotten that this is not normal.

The only task killer I have is not loaded at startup. I kill everything with one (load it up, kill all inluding the app) when there are other problems.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Agreed. Droid doesn't behave like that, it sounds more like a Blackberry Storm to me. Perhaps the Droid just isn't for you.

ldimick

Reaction score
If it is rooted get a program that will clean out your cache files. Sometimes I suspect they get some trash in them and I suspect that the reboots are trying to clean it up. After all of your problems you have no idea what kind of condition your files are in.

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

Launcher2.1
Any Virus Program
Live Wallpapers
Home++

None. A lot of apps just have problems. For example I'll be recording with voice - works perfectly for a couple of tries and then I get that familiar message "blah blah has stopped working" or something like that. I get a message to choose whether to "wait" or to quit the app. There are a lot of lag times when using an app. I'll have that google.apps error message too. I can't imagine that only a few others get them. I usual hit a dialog box and there isn't much of a consequence. It happens so often I just have forgotten that this is not normal.

The only task killer I have is not loaded at startup. I kill everything with one (load it up, kill all inluding the app) when there are other problems.

If you want your problems to end - Do a factory reset and then start installing apps one at a time and slowly. You will find the programs that are causing your problems. There is so much interaction between apps, it is real easy for some thing to muck up the works.