1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Must stop crashing regularly

Discussion in 'Android Tech Support' started by slinky, Mar 4, 2010.

1. slinky

slinky New Member

I don't have that much junk in the Droid but I can tell you that I have resets every day. It's less stable than my Palm Treos were that were defective. It's so flaky that it's scary. The "danger" apps? Weatherbug, screebl (now disabled), myLock and a Volume Lock. I'm getting that no icons on home screen issue all the time, at least once a day or two days, freezing that reboots, many apps have this issue. There really needs to be a plan for better overall stability of apps and OS.
  2. aaf709

aaf709 Nice Guy Premium Member

Are you stock? The only app of those 4 that I have is Screebl and that's working for me. Have you uninstall the others?
  3. slinky

slinky New Member

So many of the apps seem to crash at will, especially those that access the SD card like Voice recorders, etc.
  4. crspang

crspang New Member

No prob here. I'm rooted and oc'd too.

There is a downside to android and that is the fact that some apps don't play well together, guess we'll have to deal with though.

Overall the good outweighs the bad and the ability to completely customize this phone exactly the way I want it is what i love about it.

If I have to put up with the occasional fc (extremely rare) then I will.

I think you have an app or two that either don't play well with others or were meant for android 1.6 or lower.
  5. toddegreene

toddegreene New Member

How long have you had your Droid? If it's less than 30 days you can return it for a new one or another device. Before you do that, try a factory reset. It will set your Droid back to the original state. If you're still having problems then return it.
  6. slinky

slinky New Member

Returning the Droid does not solve the problems, at least I don't think so. It will take a ton of time to reinstall everything and restore (I don't like trusting all these backup apps and prefer fresh.) There are problems and others are having them. Just recently, as I posted above, I woke up to find my Droid had rebooted itself in the night until the battery died. After doing a pull it seems to be working fine again. Still, if apps don't play well with each other there should have been some design to prevent all of these conflicts. The bugs forum shouldn't be by far the most popular one.
  7. crspang

crspang New Member

Well maybe the best solution for you is another style or brand of phone.

I mean I've got 118 apps, rooted, OCd and have wifi tethering. Conventional wisdom would say that I would be the one with the problems you're describing, but I'm not.
  8. slinky

slinky New Member

I don't know what you're running.

I'm also not sure whether you're recommending I get an iPhone or something else. As I said, I'm watching many people here with crashes. I know that K9 is rather extensive and could cause issues, has errors every day, occasionally. Unless there is a paid user base, corrections may not be priority. I wish that Android had decent stock apps which someone guaranteed to work properly or develop as a standard stock offering. The built in app is worthless.

As far as the rest, not being able to turn off that lock is ludicrous. The need for the ringer lock is unfortunately 100% necessary (did anyone test using the Droid for more than 10 minutes?)

There are many people posting here. If yours works well, for now, great. We need to troubleshoot what is wrong and what might be causing the problems.
  9. BayouFlyFisher

BayouFlyFisher Rescue Squad

Do you have any of the following installed:

Launcher2.1
    Any Virus Program
    Live Wallpapers
    Home++
    Any Automatic Task Killer
    Any Automatic Unlock Program

Your problem is being caused by some apps that don't work well, or don't work well together. If you can not find the culprit - Do a factory reset and then start installing apps one at a time and slowly.
  10. ldimick

ldimick New Member

Weather bug did not play well for me.
  11. BayouFlyFisher

Yep, I forgot Weather Bug. It wouldn't work on my phone either. Don't know how I forgot to put it on the list.
  12. slinky

slinky New Member

None. A lot of apps just have problems. For example I'll be recording with voice - works perfectly for a couple of tries and then I get that familiar message "blah blah has stopped working" or something like that. I get a message to choose whether to "wait" or to quit the app. There are a lot of lag times when using an app. I'll have that google.apps error message too. I can't imagine that only a few others get them. I usual hit a dialog box and there isn't much of a consequence. It happens so often I just have forgotten that this is not normal.

The only task killer I have is not loaded at startup. I kill everything with one (load it up, kill all inluding the app) when there are other problems.
  13. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

Agreed. Droid doesn't behave like that, it sounds more like a Blackberry Storm to me. Perhaps the Droid just isn't for you.
  14. ldimick

ldimick New Member

If it is rooted get a program that will clean out your cache files. Sometimes I suspect they get some trash in them and I suspect that the reboots are trying to clean it up. After all of your problems you have no idea what kind of condition your files are in.
  15. BayouFlyFisher

If you want your problems to end - Do a factory reset and then start installing apps one at a time and slowly. You will find the programs that are causing your problems. There is so much interaction between apps, it is real easy for some thing to muck up the works.
  16. ldimick

ldimick New Member

Could not agree more. Fortunately it is fairly easy to do on this phone.
  17. moosc

moosc Member

Weather bug no problem. Task killers f up your phone. 50 plus app rooted running 1.2ghz desire keyboard no problem
  18. slinky

slinky New Member

If the Droid isn't for me then they might as well stop producing them right now. I've been involved in the mobile phone industry for many years. I know how to use smartphones at a very high level. If I can't figure out how to get the phone to work reliably then it isn't reliable on a general level and chances are the majority of people will also have a boatload of problems.

As it stands right now, I've discovered that the Motorola Droid is a disaster when it comes to something as simple as sync to Microsoft Outlook. HTC has tried to bridge this gap and provides its own proprietary solution, which I haven't used and isn't available across the Android compatible (whatever that means) series of phones.

IMHO Android is a total mess that is in desperate need of cleanup. Apps are haphazzardly thrown at the app store and you have to hope that someone, somewhere, somehow places notices that some generic app works with one phone but not another.

Regarding these apps, I've had apps crash on me even from the beginning. Occasionally at first - for example, "The process com.google.process.gapps has stopped unexpectedly"

This was a nuisance that I clicked through, like other people. I highly doubt the problem is the hardware as usually it's serious problems or it is made relatively to order. Replacing the Droid will not be fun but perhaps that is the route - but what is another problem? You get some crappy refurbished unit, not a new one. Mine was purchased just about 3 weeks ago.

Thanks for the help in trying to figure out what is wrong. I can tell you this much - at this time a lot of these crappy problems should have been figured out. I appreciate the open development but someone should be reigning in what I feel is the lack of boundaries to create stability. The app store is a disaster, not being able to search what is and isn't compatible. At this point I'm guessing it's a total crapshoot and maybe reinstalling 90 apps is the only solution. Insane. Then we have to talk about the data for all of these apps which must be loaded individually somehow because there isn't a "blackberry-like sync"... fun...
  19. slinky

slinky New Member

Yes - it's very easy to do if you're in fifth grade and have nothing else to do with about 6 hours of time, downloading and reinstalling all your apps, reimporting all your data in every app (which isn't synchronized with your desktop automatically) and then setting up all of my 10 folders with apps so taht I could save power by not using a home screen. Then I can set preferences for every single application, set preferences for every mail account that I had set up with K9... etc.
  20. scarrz

scarrz New Member

Does the Droid keep some type of event log, much like that of Windows Event Viewer? This would at least help to narrow down what is causing the crashes. My droid does the same thing and I'm sure its caused by some recent Application that I have installed, but I do not keep a record of apps that I install and when, etc. Does anyone know if there is such a log?

It would also be helpful if the application list in android market put some type of time stamp of when the apps are installed. I found an app called "Uninstaller" which will let you filter by install date. I guess this could be used to determine what apps you installed prior to your crashes, etc. Any other ideas??
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2010
Search tags for this page

android crash prevent

apss to prevetn your android from crahshing
how to avoid crashing apps on android
how to get droid to stop crashing
how to make apps stop crashing for droid
how to prevent android apps from crashing

how to prevent android from crashing

how to stop apps from crashing on android

how to stop droid charge from crashing
how to stop twitter on andriod from crashing