Must stop crashing regularly

ldimick

Reaction score
If you want your problems to end - Do a factory reset and then start installing apps one at a time and slowly. You will find the programs that are causing your problems. There is so much interaction between apps, it is real easy for some thing to muck up the works.

Could not agree more. Fortunately it is fairly easy to do on this phone.

moosc

Reaction score
Weather bug no problem. Task killers f up your phone. 50 plus app rooted running 1.2ghz desire keyboard no problem

OP
slinky

slinky

Reaction score
Agreed. Droid doesn't behave like that, it sounds more like a Blackberry Storm to me. Perhaps the Droid just isn't for you.
If the Droid isn't for me then they might as well stop producing them right now. I've been involved in the mobile phone industry for many years. I know how to use smartphones at a very high level. If I can't figure out how to get the phone to work reliably then it isn't reliable on a general level and chances are the majority of people will also have a boatload of problems.

As it stands right now, I've discovered that the Motorola Droid is a disaster when it comes to something as simple as sync to Microsoft Outlook. HTC has tried to bridge this gap and provides its own proprietary solution, which I haven't used and isn't available across the Android compatible (whatever that means) series of phones.

IMHO Android is a total mess that is in desperate need of cleanup. Apps are haphazzardly thrown at the app store and you have to hope that someone, somewhere, somehow places notices that some generic app works with one phone but not another.

Regarding these apps, I've had apps crash on me even from the beginning. Occasionally at first - for example, "The process com.google.process.gapps has stopped unexpectedly"

This was a nuisance that I clicked through, like other people. I highly doubt the problem is the hardware as usually it's serious problems or it is made relatively to order. Replacing the Droid will not be fun but perhaps that is the route - but what is another problem? You get some crappy refurbished unit, not a new one. Mine was purchased just about 3 weeks ago.

Thanks for the help in trying to figure out what is wrong. I can tell you this much - at this time a lot of these crappy problems should have been figured out. I appreciate the open development but someone should be reigning in what I feel is the lack of boundaries to create stability. The app store is a disaster, not being able to search what is and isn't compatible. At this point I'm guessing it's a total crapshoot and maybe reinstalling 90 apps is the only solution. Insane. Then we have to talk about the data for all of these apps which must be loaded individually somehow because there isn't a "blackberry-like sync"... fun...

OP
slinky

slinky

Reaction score
If you want your problems to end - Do a factory reset and then start installing apps one at a time and slowly. You will find the programs that are causing your problems. There is so much interaction between apps, it is real easy for some thing to muck up the works.

Could not agree more. Fortunately it is fairly easy to do on this phone.
Yes - it's very easy to do if you're in fifth grade and have nothing else to do with about 6 hours of time, downloading and reinstalling all your apps, reimporting all your data in every app (which isn't synchronized with your desktop automatically) and then setting up all of my 10 folders with apps so taht I could save power by not using a home screen. Then I can set preferences for every single application, set preferences for every mail account that I had set up with K9... etc.

scarrz

Reaction score
Does the Droid keep some type of event log, much like that of Windows Event Viewer? This would at least help to narrow down what is causing the crashes. My droid does the same thing and I'm sure its caused by some recent Application that I have installed, but I do not keep a record of apps that I install and when, etc. Does anyone know if there is such a log?

It would also be helpful if the application list in android market put some type of time stamp of when the apps are installed. I found an app called "Uninstaller" which will let you filter by install date. I guess this could be used to determine what apps you installed prior to your crashes, etc. Any other ideas??

Last edited:

Grabraham

Reaction score
I don't have that much junk in the Droid ....
Yes - it's very easy to do if you're in fifth grade and have nothing else to do with about 6 hours of time, downloading and reinstalling all your apps, reimporting all your data in every app
I am confused about the number of apps you have going on -how does 'not much junk' = 6 hours of time to get back to where you are?

scarrz

Reaction score
Not to jump into the fire here, but I agree that most people don't have the time to factory reset and install apps one by one in order to determine whats causing the problem. Somewhere down the road you will install another app that does not play well with others and decides to start crashing the droid, or possibly an update that is the problem, etc. My only point is there ought to be an easier way to troubleshoot, thus my question about a "crash log", event viewer, etc.

DROID does!

Yes - it's very easy to do if you're in fifth grade and have nothing else to do with about 6 hours of time, downloading and reinstalling all your apps, reimporting all your data in every app
I am confused about the number of apps you have going on -how does 'not much junk' = 6 hours of time to get back to where you are?

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Not to jump into the fire here, but I agree that most people don't have the time to factory reset and install apps one by one in order to determine whats causing the problem. Somewhere down the road you will install another app that does not play well with others and decides to start crashing the droid, or possibly an update that is the problem, etc. My only point is there ought to be an easier way to troubleshoot, thus my question about a "crash log", event viewer, etc.

DROID does!

Send Log
Log Collector

Both from the market. Good tip. Way to Scarrz-Go. :)

scarrz

Reaction score
Awesome! Thanks BayouFlyFisher, this is exactly what I wanted.

DROID does!

Send Log
Log Collector

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Awesome! Thanks BayouFlyFisher, this is exactly what I wanted.

DROID does!

Send Log
Log Collector

Yeah, me too. I had never even thought of searching for a event logger. I'm going to try them and pick one for my own use. Thanks for the mental tickle. It made me go look.

ScarrzGeaux, good luck from Baton Rouge . :icon_ banana:

OP
slinky

slinky

Reaction score

1. Junk meaning startup apps that will play with your system and potentially cause crashes, numerous widgets (I have only one)

2. Six hours is conservative. It's time to download at least 40 applications (that alone will take at least 3 hours if you add up the time to search, download, install and then setup assuming 2-4 minutes per app average.) Then it's importing contacts (what a nightmare it was first time), dates, etc.

Part of the problem might be the usage of the SD card. I have "only" 500MB on the card. I'm guessing it is being used as swap space. If Moto had only built this thing with 1GB of RAM (which would have been easy and still cheap) then more swap space could have been used internally. Perhaps these laggy delays are as a result of swapping.

mjs31

Reaction score
I have yet to have any crash issues except with one kernal for my rooted droid. I have tons of apps and have tried many others with 0 issues. Strange stuff.

OP
slinky

slinky

Reaction score
I have yet to have any crash issues except with one kernal for my rooted droid. I have tons of apps and have tried many others with 0 issues. Strange stuff.

Zero issues... never a quit? Then you must have one of the reported 2% of Droids that don't have these bugs which others have actually reported as reproduceable bugs.

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

Zero issues... never a quit? Then you must have one of the reported 2% of Droids that don't have these bugs which others have actually reported as reproduceable bugs.

Where is it reported that 98% of all Droid have bugs/issues? I really would like to read that report. Link please!

OP
slinky

slinky

Reaction score

Where is it reported that 98% of all Droid have bugs/issues? I really would like to read that report. Link please!
Google - search for android bugs and then perhaps you'll believer that there are bugs.

From my understanding the 2% who claim that all is perfect with zero issues, it is rumored that they are either delusional or greatly overexaggerating... or it is possible that only they received perfect Droids.