[MUST READ] Things to realize about Android

woodyman

Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.droidconcepts.com
still in progress, this thread will be mirrored on the Droid Concepts website.

For now just quoting myself, as I organize and better sort though all my stuff...

NOTE ABOUT RESTORE/TITANIUM
personally I have never used titanium or any other backup feature other than the Google/Android provided ones. I'm not saying not to use them or anything, but I never used them because I liked the getting the clean install like you guys mentioned. The fact that your getting soft reboots is because titanium messes with the device /data directory and most of the time there are no issues, but you need to remember when you backup your app it may be named 'com.example.app.1' but when you re-install if from the market it may be downloaded as 'com.example.app' I've noticed that when apps install usually they look like com.example.app and some apps when they update put a 1 after the name. that happens because you can't have 2 folders with the same name, and when you update the app, it will build the dependencies it needs on your phone, but it does it in a new directory then moves your files into the new one. So my guess which could be wrong is that your apps all say .1 or whatever in your backups but the phone is then having a directory for com.example.app and com.example.app.1 which it doesn't need, because after it moves everything to the .1 folder when an app updates it removes the old com.example.app folder so you dont have 2. so this could explain the soft reboot issues you are having. idk if that made sense but i tried.. lol its been a long day.

Please continue to report issues and if you can get me the logcat of your problem please do and send it my way so I can fix the problem if there is one for everyone.

Thanks.. :)

In order for themed markets to work you must load them over a stock market after install and a reboot. You have to establish the stock market working first... then boot into recovery and flash the themed market... flash rom, flash gapps, reboot..... then reboot into recovery and flash themed market... hope this helps..

Sent from my SCH-I500 using DroidForums

Have something you would like to add to the thread? Post it below and we'll add it into the article.

gflam

Developer
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Um what exactly are we posting here? just anything or like i'm just unclear what i should be writing ha sorry just want a little more info

OP
woodyman

woodyman

Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.droidconcepts.com
Um what exactly are we posting here? just anything or like i'm just unclear what i should be writing ha sorry just want a little more info

mostly things that most people overlook or don't know, like with titanium backup I just quoted myself in above, I just updated, I'm going to better organize my info and make it easier to read and follow.

a good majority will come from CVPCS who wrote up a similar thing on his wiki, which I don't think many have seen.

ongoing:android_myths [CVPCS Android Wiki]

^Things like that that most people don't know, or other tips that you find/found while having an android device, like the thing about titanium that I posted.

gflam

Developer
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Okay well something i just helped someone with a few minutes ago if you have larger apps like games or miui music or even dolphin browser and they randomly close without a force close message then you can increase your vm heap size to allow the larger apps to stay open here is a copy and paste from the post here

They have apps that do it but in my opinion easiest way is to do it by hand cause you can then set whatever you want so i just use root explorer then go to the build.prop file this is located at /system/build.prop
long press the build.prop and select open in text editor
scroll down a bit till you see
# This is a high density device with more memory, so larger vm heaps for it.
dalkvick.vm.heapsize=<some number>m

Then just change that some number to what you want the recommended usually is 32 i think but i just go big :) and put it at 52 ha just so i could run miui player and what not but if you feel more comfortable using an app just go to the market and search vm heap size there are a few apps that can do it for you.

Can also be done through terminal but that's a bit more crazy works a little like this though just for knowledge purposes here's a quick script to change it to 52

#!/system/bin/sh
#

BB=busybox
$BB sed -i "s/dalvik.vm.heapsize=.*/dalvik.vm.heapsize=52/g" /system/build.prop
$BB sed -i 's/hw_dalvik.vm.heapsize=.*/hw_dalvik.vm.heapsize=52/g' /system/build.prop

then you would just save that as a file and place it at /system/xbin make sure to set your permissions and then run it through terminal emulator by just typing su and then the name of whatever you named the script

OP
woodyman

woodyman

Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.droidconcepts.com
Thanks for that man, VM heap size is in my thing.. lol but not how you covered it, and as a side note the ROM will be sporting the feature to change the VM heap size.. :)

But exactly many people don't realize what the VM heap size is or what it even is for/does. so thanks for the input..

Okay well something i just helped someone with a few minutes ago if you have larger apps like games or miui music or even dolphin browser and they randomly close without a force close message then you can increase your vm heap size to allow the larger apps to stay open here is a copy and paste from the post

gflam

Developer
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Well a few more build.prop tweaks

Wifi scan interval set that high to save battery if you use wifi

LCD density is another tweak in there don't remember the benefits of that one though ha

OP
woodyman

woodyman

Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.droidconcepts.com
Don't plan on putting all tweaks and tips, i would make another thread for that though if there is intrest, for the most part this is mostly aiming to do what CVPCS did in that link, and add a few of my own things.

LCD density is another tweak in there don't remember the benefits of that one though ha

gflam

Developer
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Sorry didn't read the link but i've submitted one good one at least, if i think of anything i'll post here for you

wyld

Reaction score
Ty for the info!

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

JayR_

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
looking forward to seeing this thread grow...you really got on the ball huh woody? :)

howdy gflam!

gflam

Developer
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Here i got another one if your battery life is starting to get bad you can wipe your battery stats which often improves your battery life this can be done in all of the recoveries i'm aware of and through terminal with the following commands

$ su
# rm /data/system/batterystat.bin

(you don't type the $ and # they are done by terminal)

GryphonD

Reaction score

LCD Density is effectively a Screen Resolution increase/decrease.
To be honest, I see no real functional (every day) benefit to this tweak due to the fact that; what it does if you increase resolution is only good for basically icons on main screen and launcher. It is not all that usefully, effective with Widgets and if you have games, they can come out looking terrible. Likely this is due to the fact that it on many models, does not use screen real estate properly, landing you in a shrunken screen at higher resolutions.

Those who have primarily icons on their screens and do not use many Widgets or have many..... any screen heavy games how ever may... (may) enjoy the effect.