Music won't stop skipping

jayman350

Reaction score
I've really been enjoying the DC build 7 rom. There is one thing that has really been bugging the crap out of me.

My music player will skip during playback, I've tried it with the GB music player as well as MusicMod and it does it with both of them. Its not the mp3s cause they didn't do it yesterday when I was on GimpSource. I've tried the stock kernel, P3's 900 Mhz, and just for the hell of it CorCor67's rMod series 1100 Mhz kernel. None of them have any affect on this.

Anyone else having this issue or is it just me? I use my phone all the time to listen to music and unfortunately this could be a deal-breaker. I would love to get a suggestion as to how I can fix this.

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Afaik the lowest clock has nothing to do with this as I've been using gimp for months now with 2.2.2 with no issue.

I had asked (since GB has the issue as well) if woody is using a portion of GB relating to music.

Answers?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

woodyman

Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.droidconcepts.com
No parts from GB, someone else had a music issue on an earlier build. I can't remember what it was.... anyway if you do this it may help, because I have no idea why it would do that, the only part of stock that was edited was the ongoing notification color.

if you have adb installed then connect your phone to your computer open a command prompt/terminal and type

adb logcat

it will scroll at first then stop and slowly continue at this point click to play your music app, if should start scrolling. let it go for about 10-15 sec then unplug your device

copy the whole terminal/command prompt, and gmail it to me at

woodyman.dc @ gmail . com

Afaik the lowest clock has nothing to do with this as I've been using gimp for months now with 2.2.2 with no issue.

I had asked (since GB has the issue as well) if woody is using a portion of GB relating to music.

Answers?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

OP
jayman350

jayman350

Reaction score
It seems to be better, but still does skip occasionally. I've started using PowerAmp b/c there is an option to change the size of the Audio buffer. That helped to cut down on the skipping but not completely eliminate it.

thanks for checking in about it, really not something I would get from many (any?) other devs out there, especially a month after the fact

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I would love to send a logcat, however when it is plugged into power or my PC it rarely if ever skips.

Sent from my A855.

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yes it is better, and the funny part is, since I use music beta and stream over WiFi, it does it less than when playing from my sdcard.

Sent from my A855.

OP
jayman350

jayman350

Reaction score
Yes it is better, and the funny part is, since I use music beta and stream over WiFi, it does it less than when playing from my sdcard.

Sent from my A855.

here is a question, do you think it could be the SD card that is causing the skipping? Mine is the original one I got with the phone Dec '09

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Just weird it just started all of a sudden.

Sent from my A855.

woodyman

Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.droidconcepts.com
That is a pretty good idea, because the problem isn't widespread only the two of you have reported it. So it's not a bad idea, I wish I had an answer, the logcat didn't show any errors or anything on the ROM/code end, so who knows, these things do what they want.. lol ;)

Sent from my A855.

here is a question, do you think it could be the SD card that is causing the skipping? Mine is the original one I got with the phone Dec '09

woodyman

Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.droidconcepts.com
I love music BETA!! took longer than i would like to upload all my songs, but now that i have them all i couldn't be happier, no more songs on SD Card for me.. :)

Sent from my A855.

Bigwally

Reaction score
Videos skip too

I just noticed that the music is skipping on my phone too. Not sure if it is related but I also noticed that videos I had taken with my phone skip also. They didn't use to skip but they are now. Running build 10. Anybody else have skipping videos?

woodyman

Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.droidconcepts.com
after thinking about this a little, i may have an idea what it could be. I think it may be the read ahead on the SD Card right now its at 'read_ahead_kb 4084' so that may cause an issue if its reading to far ahead?? I'm not sure I'm going to cut it in half for the release of build 11, so if build 11 is better on music/videos please report back here in this thread, same thing if its the same or worse, if that is causing the issue it should either climate it or at least reduce it somewhat. But if it stays the same then i'll try removing the read ahead, and if that still doesn't fix it then the read ahead will stay at the current spot. So we will see what happens, maybe since some of the SD Cards are 'old' they can't handle the read ahead and it causes the skipping, because its not something everyone reports only a few, so if that is whats causing it it's only doing it to a few..

I just noticed that the music is skipping on my phone too. Not sure if it is related but I also noticed that videos I had taken with my phone skip also. They didn't use to skip but they are now. Running build 10. Anybody else have skipping videos?