Much simpler guide for rooting (no pc required)

firedawg24

Reaction score
OK had FlyX/Tranquility1.5 on my DX working fine, tried flashing the new Tranquility over the top and got stuck at the M. Battery pull and start enables it to load but I have lost Root. Placed Rage file and SU files on the root of my SD card and was able to get root shell. What happens next is after I type the third line of the second part about the SU file(cp /sdcard/su /system/bin/su). Once I hit enter I see this " cp: /system/bin/su: Too many symboli C links encountered" anyone have an idea what is happening?

Hope I can get this working otherwise its a SBF tonight. Thanks in advance.

Try adding an X in front of bin in the command lines. Since my busybox and SU were in that xbin not bin prior to putting on new Tranquility. This is the exact problem I had and just figured it out, worked like a charm

FSRBIKER

Reaction score
I was able to fix this by deleting the empty su file in bin then rooting again as posted here...thanks for the suggestion though.

okthen

Reaction score
I am not doing something correctly. I downloaded droid2root.rar. I had to use astro to get it, and androzip to unzip it? I can not get past the second line of code it is not finding rage file. Is this and su as well not in the rar file. I have extracted it in androzip and I think in astro. I went to astro in androzip and put it there too. Still can not get past second line. Also I have two droid2root files in astro as the first only downloaded 39k. Can not delete the incomplete once in astro? This is long winded I know but I want to give all info on every thing I have done. Also downloaded superuser.apk. Can not find su or rage file for download so I thought they were in droid2root as I read it contains 4 files. What are they? I have unpacked them successfully says androzip, but astro says file is empty when I select it.

pool_shark

Reaction score
I am not doing something correctly. I downloaded droid2root.rar. I had to use astro to get it, and androzip to unzip it? I can not get past the second line of code it is not finding rage file. Is this and su as well not in the rar file. I have extracted it in androzip and I think in astro. I went to astro in androzip and put it there too. Still can not get past second line. Also I have two droid2root files in astro as the first only downloaded 39k. Can not delete the incomplete once in astro? This is long winded I know but I want to give all info on every thing I have done. Also downloaded superuser.apk. Can not find su or rage file for download so I thought they were in droid2root as I read it contains 4 files. What are they? I have unpacked them successfully says androzip, but astro says file is empty when I select it.

I extracted droid2root on my pc and used the USB cable to move the 4 files to the root of my SD card.

okthen

Reaction score
I thought I may need to do that but was worried about having it on the phone to many times. I will give it a try. Thank you. Funny I found this thread through a post of yours.

pool_shark

Reaction score
I thought I may need to do that but was worried about having it on the phone to many times. I will give it a try. Thank you. Funny I found this thread through a post of yours.

Yeah, after I saw the original and had mine rooted in about 5 minutes I shared it with 2 other sites. (I did not take credit for it E.)
This method is just so easy, at least for me it was.

cbaty08

Reaction score
Help?

Hey guys, I am current;y stuck at the command "- chmod 4755 /system/bin/su" and it is telling me "not found"

I tried the same command again with xbin instead of bin (that is the only way I could get the previous steps to work btw) and it still said not found.

Any idea why I might be getting this error?

Thanks

EDIT: NM, didn't realize the "-" before the commands didn't need to be included... Also, for some this might help to use XBIN instead of bin....

Last edited:

okthen

Reaction score
Downloaded rar file to laptop at work I live in country so no internet except the droid. Can't open rar file need to download winrar. Anyway I have cleaned the bad download out of sd card. I got another app and extracted the four files. I now can navigate to them in astro. Still dosnt find rage file after second line of code. I want to figure this out. Not a matter of just gaining root now. I need to beat this phone. Header said no pc required. I know it can be done as others have.

OP
E

Eousphoros

Reaction score
Androzip should be able to extract the rar file.

@pool_shark, out of morbid curiosity, which two sites?

G.Armour

Reaction score
The part at the bottom of the guide about unrooting, if we can do it from the phone then we can do it from the computer, right?
Assuming that someone does not load a custom rom, they should be able to run that, do a factory reset, and be completely at stock, no need for .sbf?

okthen

Reaction score
Used efile to extract. I can see all 4 files in the sd card. Still not finding rage. Files are not hidden. Anyone have any idea what's going wrong.

pool_shark

Reaction score
Used efile to extract. I can see all 4 files in the sd card. Still not finding rage. Files are not hidden. Anyone have any idea what's going wrong.

There are only 4 files in droid2root. You said you see the 4 files but not rage. What 4 files do you have?