Much simpler guide for rooting (no pc required)

OP
E

Eousphoros

Reaction score
Question for the OP why are there commands for busy box? Can't an installation of busy box occur once you've rooted your phone and installed Titanium? I'm just thinking that if there is a way to take additional code out of there that might be it.

I think my fear is there is no back up that is done like with SPRecovery. And can you overclock this puppy if I did root?

The fact that you do it all on your phone makes it interesting. I may consider it.

Updated the guide to indicate busy box as optional, though really it's a useful tool to have so I recommend putting it on there. I also added an unroot guide that should be useful for people who want to revert.

Thanks to evil sock and the other guides that came before, it was thru my pure laziness last night, my refusal to walk five feet to my pc that spawned this guide. Speaking of spawning, here is why this works.

There is a limit to how many processes a user can own, on froyo I think it's somewhere around 3000. So what happens when you try to launch a new process after you reach that limit? Glad you asked. Well since when the process initially gets spawned it is launched as root, then changes the uid to match that of the user. Well in this case there are no more free process slots available, aka it can't fork. Since there is no check to ensure the process correctly dropped it's privileges we now have a shiny new root level process.

OP
E

Eousphoros

Reaction score
Oh, as for over clocking. Setcpu works, however you are capped at 1ghz. That being said, you could adjust the CPU profiles for better battery life or performance.

pool_shark

Reaction score
Where are all of my Unix commands in terminal emulator?

No output from ps -ef, no more, no pg, no sar, etc.

At least cat, netstat -rn and echo $PATH work.

Last edited:
OP
E

Eousphoros

Reaction score

Just use ps, as for those other commands, they aren't installed on your phone, well kinda.

Busybox provides a lot of the functionality that your wanting. Check this out.

Mount /system read,write

Now here is the magic

- ln -s /system/bin/busybox /system/bin/more

Now you have the more command, yay! For a full listing of busy box commands, just type in /system/bin/busybox and it will output the commands it was built with. Huzzah!

Last edited by a moderator:

pool_shark

Reaction score

Just use ps, as for those other commands, they aren't installed on your phone, well kinda.

Mount /system read,write

Now here is the magic

Now you have the more command, yay! For a full listing of busy box commands, just type in /system/bin/busybox and it will output the commands it was built with. Huzzah!

Nice. Ping, kill, nslookup, ifconfig, much better. Thanks again.

OP
E

Eousphoros

Reaction score

Mount /system read,write

Now here is the magic

Glad I was able to help.

Progress on modifying the droid 2 has been painfully slow. So I decided that I have to actually start contributing. Like the saying goes, if you want something done, do it yourself. ;)

pool_shark

Reaction score

Mount /system read,write

Now here is the magic

Glad I was able to help.

Progress on modifying the droid 2 has been painfully slow. So I decided that I have to actually start contributing. Like the saying goes, if you want something done, do it yourself. ;)

I figured out how to get control c, any idea how to get esc k?

OP
E

Eousphoros

Reaction score

Glad I was able to help.

Does pressing [ok]+k at the same time give you what you want? What are you trying to do?

pool_shark

Reaction score
Glad I was able to help.

Does pressing [ok]+k at the same time give you what you want? What are you trying to do?

Trying to bring back my last command after set -o vi.
[ok]+k doesn't work.

OP
E

Eousphoros

Reaction score
Last edited:

abruns

Reaction score
NEwbie here. after entering ./rageagainstthe cage-arm5.bin it says it cannot find adb. No such file or directory. any ideas? Thanks

portermac

Reaction score
So I was rooted with easyroot before the update and I really want to get rooted again. My problem has been that all I have are Macs. When I saw this thread I definitely got excited. So, my question is: will this work on Moto Droid? Also, I have easyroot, Rom manager, and Busybox still installed. Would I need to get rid of any of them that could cause complications? Thanks