Much simpler guide for rooting (no pc required)

JasonU

Reaction score
First, many thanks for the guide, Eousphoros.

Second, is there an extra step that some of us need to do? I'm stuck at the same point as abruns, I run './rage*.bin' (it mentions not finding adb before quitting), force close the terminal, reopen, and I'm still stuck with a $, not a #.

Any thoughts?

OP
E

Eousphoros

Reaction score
First, many thanks for the guide, Eousphoros.

Second, is there an extra step that some of us need to do? I'm stuck at the same point as abruns, I run './rage*.bin' (it mentions not finding adb before quitting), force close the terminal, reopen, and I'm still stuck with a $, not a #.

Any thoughts?

Try enabling USB debugging. Lemme know if that works.

EDIT: so I just tried disabling USB debugging and got this error. So enabling USB debugging should fix that. I have updated the guide. Thanks for the catch.

Last edited:

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
So I was rooted with easyroot before the update and I really want to get rooted again. My problem has been that all I have are Macs. When I saw this thread I definitely got excited. So, my question is: will this work on Moto Droid? Also, I have easyroot, Rom manager, and Busybox still installed. Would I need to get rid of any of them that could cause complications? Thanks

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-2-rooted-help/75277-rooting-mac-osx.html is a good spot to check.

With all the command line questions...anyone know where the pipe symbol is? I gave up looking for it on my Droid 1 long ago in Terminal Emulator.

OP
E

Eousphoros

Reaction score
So I was rooted with easyroot before the update and I really want to get rooted again. My problem has been that all I have are Macs. When I saw this thread I definitely got excited. So, my question is: will this work on Moto Droid? Also, I have easyroot, Rom manager, and Busybox still installed. Would I need to get rid of any of them that could cause complications? Thanks

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-2-rooted-help/75277-rooting-mac-osx.html is a good spot to check.

With all the command line questions...anyone know where the pipe symbol is? I gave up looking for it on my Droid 1 long ago in Terminal Emulator.

The only place I have found it is in the symbol section of the swype keyboard app. :(

pool_shark

Reaction score

The only place I have found it is in the symbol section of the swype keyboard app. :(

It's on the regular virtual keyboard too. I used it and I don't use swype.

rtfield

Reaction score
one click please or anyone have the links to download the needed files.

thanks

Last edited:

darkonion

Reaction score
one click please or anyone have the links to download the needed files.

thanks

Just google Droid2Root.rar.

As for one click method, the process isn't that hard unless you aren't very good at following simple directions.

FSRBIKER

Reaction score
OK had FlyX/Tranquility1.5 on my DX working fine, tried flashing the new Tranquility over the top and got stuck at the M. Battery pull and start enables it to load but I have lost Root. Placed Rage file and SU files on the root of my SD card and was able to get root shell. What happens next is after I type the third line of the second part about the SU file(cp /sdcard/su /system/bin/su). Once I hit enter I see this " cp: /system/bin/su: Too many symboli C links encountered" anyone have an idea what is happening?

Hope I can get this working otherwise its a SBF tonight. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

FSRBIKER

Reaction score
As an update I do have a file in System/bin/SU but it seems to be empty, is there a way using Terminal I can delete this file since I can't use RootExplorer. This might be my issue if its trying to move the file there and it sees it already.

seank80

Reaction score
If you want to remove the su file. You could always just do this to get it out.

- rm /system/bin/su

FSRBIKER

Reaction score
If you want to remove the su file. You could always just do this to get it out.

- rm /system/bin/su

Sean thanks I don't know why I didn't think of that. I tucked that line in after this "- mount -o rw,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk1p21 /system" and then finished the rest, rebooted and gained root back.