MTP and file transfer/copy between GNex and Windows 7

zero7404

Reaction score
i've looked around the web, i'm not the only one having file copy issues, and i get frustrated when i see ppl in forums saying 'it works fine' or 'i haven't had any issues' ....

i use the MTP setting on the phone, I also have the appropriate drivers installed (which samsung hasn't updated for the past 10 months), my device registers fine as an MTP device, but i find it weird that every time i connect the device i see 'installing device drivers' appear on my screen, and it usually pulls them from windows update.

so if there was something wrong with MTP to the point where ppl can't copy files reliably (like me) between pc and phone, then i would have thought the issue would have been addressed by now.

i have problems getting my 17.7 GB of data from the phone to the pc via MTP, it copies some folders but not all.

in the meantime i am using samba fileshare to do this via wifi .... which is taking a lot longer than it would.

in the back of my mind i've always been curious if rooting and romming might remove or replace files that do not get put back when reflashing back to stock ?

i am rooted right now, but on stock JB, 4.1.1.... in the past i ran CM9 a few times on the phone, didn't like it then went back to stock.
i don't really want to maintain a rooted phone anymore, i can do what i want without it, so i will likely use wug's toolkit to revert back to stock unrooted .... but i wonder also if any of the problems i'm seeing are due to problems with the driver in windows 7 ?

wcjeep

Reaction score
With my GNex I had USB debugging enabled. I always moved files via hard line. It was always fast.

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
Use adb. MTP is ungodly slow.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

OP
zero7404

zero7404

Reaction score
With my GNex I had USB debugging enabled. I always moved files via hard line. It was always fast.

arghh ... u'r rubbing salt in my wound ... thanks !

OP
zero7404

zero7404

Reaction score
Use adb. MTP is ungodly slow.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

pulling an all nighter here ... i wanted to try out bugless beast, instead after a somewhat successful install, my phone hung @ the google logo about 5-6 times after trying to clean things up in recovery, data resets, etc...

i restored back to stock using wugs, re-rooted, file transfer in windows explorer is still unreliable ... so i'm pushing folders at this point via adb. i noticed that something about this MTP interface doesn't like sub-folders and certain file/folder names. in short, the interface sucks and i'm wishing i opted for a phone with a real sdcard. don't like the idea of many gb's locked up inside the device with limited choices to transfer files to pc for backup ....

@ home for my backups i use microsoft's synctoy - first backup is long, but afterwords when it's setup in an echo scheme it swiftly copies only new/changed files over .... what started this whole fire is that when i plug the phone into my pc, it's not recognized as a drive, so synctoy doesn't let me choose the sdcard folder, or anything on the phone for that matter ....

seriously .... is this how google is going to leave it ?

OP
zero7404

zero7404

Reaction score
it seems like there was something wrong with the phone's setup .... not sure whether it was a corrupt OS feature or an app that caused it to break or whether it was simply rooting (if rooting altered the files or settings associated with MTP/usb connection) ....

after i reflashed stock, unrooted, installed my apps from the market (rather than from a backup) .... the file copying has been going smooth ... so far i've copied over all the 18 GB of stuff i had and no hickups yet ....

Lordbutt

Reaction score
Did you use WUG to install and test the Samsung drivers? I did and it solved all my driver and transfer issues. On 4.1.1 JR0030, routed.

OP
zero7404

zero7404

Reaction score
i used the samsung drivers directly from samsung ...

with wug, it just uses the same drivers with added steps to configure them ...

so my point was something broken in the OS that caused this. until i figure out what it was, im hesitant to go back to my previous rooted setup.

posted via android ....