Why are transfers so slow?

jpin321

Reaction score
View attachment 45173

OK had to get a new gnex, cdma radio failed in my first one. Trying to put my music back on approx. 6 gigs I'm on my third attempt. It's really slow and I keep getting "The device has either stopped responding or has been disconnected." I'm getting extremely irritated trying to get this copied over. Why would google/samsung choose MTP and not USB mass storage? Is there an app or an easier way to do this? I'm stock rooted are there any custom roms around that correct this issue? BTW im on Windows 7 x64 tried Ubuntu but it doesn't support MTP.

pool_shark

Reaction score
Are you using the cable that came with the phone?
Are you using a hish speed usb port?

I transfered 8 movies, about 10 GB in roughly 40 minutes. My songs took much less time than I anticipated.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Faster than my transfer rates on my og droid and incredible

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
View attachment 45173

OK had to get a new gnex, cdma radio failed in my first one. Trying to put my music back on approx. 6 gigs I'm on my third attempt. It's really slow and I keep getting "The device has either stopped responding or has been disconnected." I'm getting extremely irritated trying to get this copied over. Why would google/samsung choose MTP and not USB mass storage? Is there an app or an easier way to do this? I'm stock rooted are there any custom roms around that correct this issue? BTW im on Windows 7 x64 tried Ubuntu but it doesn't support MTP.

WOW ... yeah mine transferred in like 5 mins and i had a lot to move. 1 Day...whoa.

KaosMcRage

Reaction score
Why would google/samsung choose MTP and not USB mass storage?

Impromptu Q&A Session With Android Engineer Dan Morrill Brings To Light Reasons Behind Galaxy Nexus' Lack Of USB Mass Storage

Is there an app or an easier way to do this? I'm stock rooted are there any custom roms around that correct this issue? BTW im on Windows 7 x64

I agree it feels sucky and slow. I've had the best results using adb push/pull, actually, rather than Windows drag-n-drop. Also, don't have Windows Explorer open to your GNex when doing transfers. It seems to slow it down because it tries to update the display a lot or something.

tried Ubuntu but it doesn't support MTP.

Linux + GNU = Humans Enabled: How To: Fix Samsung Galaxy Nexus MTP File Transfer for Ubuntu GNU/Linux 11.10

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
Sure its not the computer? I can notice a big difference in transfer times with my laptop then with my desktop.

X

OP
jpin321

jpin321

Reaction score
I'm using a usb 2.0 port and the cable that came with it. I've never had transfer issue on any other device but I've also not used a MTP device before. My OG droid only took about an hour with the same port and computer.

OP
jpin321

jpin321

Reaction score
Also thought I would add I'm using the drivers from Samsung's site as well.

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Very strange. I just drag and dropped my music folders onto the Nexus and it went very quickly, was around 2-3 thousand songs.

OP
jpin321

jpin321

Reaction score
Very strange. I just drag and dropped my music folders onto the Nexus and it went very quickly, was around 2-3 thousand songs.

That's the same as mine. I'm sending 2700 music files. Pictures are much worse for some reason. I found if i zip my pictures then move the zip file it goes much faster. Also it keeps telling me my device might not be able to play the file type.

OP
jpin321

jpin321

Reaction score
Impromptu Q&A Session With Android Engineer Dan Morrill Brings To Light Reasons Behind Galaxy Nexus' Lack Of USB Mass Storage

I agree it feels sucky and slow. I've had the best results using adb push/pull, actually, rather than Windows drag-n-drop. Also, don't have Windows Explorer open to your GNex when doing transfers. It seems to slow it down because it tries to update the display a lot or something.

Linux + GNU = Humans Enabled: How To: Fix Samsung Galaxy Nexus MTP File Transfer for Ubuntu GNU/Linux 11.10

Thanks for the article on why they used mtp that really helped my understanding. Although im still frustrated that it's slow. I'll try the ubuntu fix as well.