1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

movies

Discussion in 'Motorola Xoom' started by scknoll123, Feb 25, 2011.

1. scknoll123

scknoll123 New Member

does anyone know a good way or site to put movies on the xoom??
  2. Newton122189

Newton122189 New Member

Connect the xoom to your computer and copy over the files, windows is preferred because Mac OS X hassles you with some transfer program
  3. Infiniti87

Infiniti87 New Member

So the videos don't need to be converted to a special format or anything? If I was to download a digital copy that some blu-rays come with I can just transfer it straight to the zoom?
  4. rustymcbain

rustymcbain New Member

I use a paid program Catalyst. It will cut down to save space of so is desired. If you plan on outputting through the hdmi then it can transfer a full size file. The developers update constantly to keep up with copyright protection which hassles you. I AM NOT PROMOTING PIRACY. but to take dvds and bluray to android you need ripping software.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
  5. Infiniti87

Infiniti87 New Member

I was talking about the digital copies that are included with some blu-rays inside the case when u buy them. No ripping or piracy needed.
  6. Newton122189

Newton122189 New Member

Couldn't hurt to try, just drag the digital copy over and see what happens
  7. bamfsig45

bamfsig45 New Member

Thats all it will play. Will have to convert unless you have it in this format.
  8. Backnblack

Backnblack Premium Member Premium Member

I highly doubt they will work.....Never have on my D1, DI or X
  9. SamuriHL

SamuriHL Developer Developer

iTunes digital copy files will work, but, you must strip the protection. Search for a website called Hymn and you'll find info on how to go about that. It's not very straightforward to do, but, I've got Dark Knight sitting on my Xoom right now and it works perfectly fine. But it will NOT work without first removing the fairplay protection.
  10. Newton122189

Newton122189 New Member

I DO NOT CONDONE PIRACY

check out a program called handbrake and a DVD decryption service, I used dvd43

It will let you make your own digital copies but for gods sake personal use only cuz there are major legal ramifications for illegal redistribution of DVDs
  11. SamuriHL

Yea, I think it should be obvious that we're talking about putting stuff you actually OWN on your Xoom, but, just in case it's not, I also do not condone piracy in any way. I will say this, however, being able to have my digital copies on my Xoom is truly AWESOME! Plus I have TV show recordings that I'll be able to put on here now, too. What an awesome device!
  12. ruinah

ruinah New Member

have you all actually tried playing videos on the xoom? I haven't had a single video work yet. I mostly encode divx from dvd as 700mb files are a lot easier on the storage but none of them work. I am encoding one now to see if I can chop it down and try to fit the format they want but I'm disappointed. I tried rockplayer, basically force closed every video on me. Gallery played like 2 videos but they were not only choppy they had no sound.

I don't mind converting stuff but I need to find the right format.
  13. SamuriHL

Yup. I'm using my iTunes digital copies, as I mentioned before. They play perfectly. I think the Xoom is picking the AAC audio track. They contain both AC3 and AAC audio. The video is h.264 and I'm using an mp4 container. I have a profile very similar to Apple's specs for their iTunes digital copies that I use in handbrake, but, I have NOT yet tried one of those to see if it works. Nonetheless, most of the movies I'd want to watch on the Xoom are going to be my iTunes digital copies. And so far, they work great.
  14. Backnblack

Backnblack Premium Member Premium Member

Well ya.....But Not unless you mod them.
  15. SamuriHL

Yup. I think I was pretty clear on that. :) They will not work "out of the box." You must remove the DRM, but, other than that, nothing else needs to be done to them.
  16. ruinah

ruinah New Member

would it be too much of a pain to ask you to list the settings for handbrake that work? Like I said, as long as I know what the output needs to be to make it work I don't mind the encoding. the i7 has nothing to do at night. All 8 cores waiting to procees video. :)
  17. SamuriHL

Well, I still haven't had a chance to try one of my handbrake made files, so, I'm not positive they work. However, if I were you, I would try the Handbrake 0.95's iPhone 4 profile. (Yea, yea, I know, blasphemy :D) If that works you can TRY the iPad profile that has higher resolution but I think 960 res on the Xoom will be more than fine and will take up less space. That should be almost identical to what Apple uses for blu-ray digital copies, so, I can't see why it wouldn't work. If I get a chance tomorrow I'll try one out.

EDIT: I'm gonna try converting one of my blu-ray MKV backups to the iPad profile on Handbrake 0.95. I'll run the conversion overnight and see how it plays on the Xoom in the morning. The res is a bit insane but, maybe it'll be nice for tablets.
  18. SamuriHL

P.S. I'm PROBABLY going to make a new profile in Video ReDo to output files for the Xoom. I'll work with the VRD developers to find the right profile. They created one for the Droid that works great. That is another option. It's what I'll be using to convert my TV shows, but, for blu-rays, it's not really the best solution as it doesn't support HD audio conversion.
  19. scknoll123

scknoll123 New Member

Thanks everyone. I will keep trying everything to get some DVDs on the xoom
  20. bdholsin

bdholsin New Member

I use Xilisoft Video Converter Ultimate for all my movies that I own. Use the general video format and convert to an. Mp4 format. After conversion, copy to the Xoom and you're golden.

Sent from my Xoom using DroidForums