Motorola's Epic Fail

IAm

Reaction score
The list keeps growing. Other manufacturing companies pumping out their phones Gingerbread updates. After announcing soak tests for the Droid Pro and the Droid 2 Global they have failed miserably in delivering the update. Even the Kyocera Echo is getting the software, not to mention a slew of other phones. I would be taking it alot better had I not got all excited over the Pro getting it. After waiting for a month without any news I hear the D2G was going to receive it. Verizon even posted a change log claiming how proud they were of the new enhancements. Now im just annoyed. I understand not pushing a UD that's not ready, but what a debacle? Please speak out and let Moto know your feelings! Maybe they'll read this.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

cavemanbangs

Reaction score
i know im not buying another moto phone. the one i have, has had nothing but issues with it. i was hoping the gingerbread updates would fix most of the issues but im tired of waiting. having a glitchy phone for work sucks i miss 80% of my emails because of the sync issue

OP
I

IAm

Reaction score
I made the mistake of buying two. The Droid Pro and the D2G. Big mistake only because of their lack of concern about the bugs that plague these devices. I mean just look through these forums Moto.

iguanad

Reaction score
I find it interesting that so many people complain about glitches, yet others like myself are almost problem free. My only issue is an occasional reboot. I have owned Samsung, HTC and a variety of other smartphones. They were all far buggier than the D2G. I tried flashing ROMs on these devices which would improve some characteristics but would bring a whole different set of bugs. To me, the build quality of Motorola is still superior than its competitors. I am looking forward to the Gingerbread update. I am disappointed in the delay, but to call this an "Epic Failure" seems a bit dramatic.

rusty815

Reaction score
i agree with iguanad, ive never had any bugs that wasnt brought on by a custom rom on my d2g, on stock it runs solid as a rock. i used to have a samsung captivate and it was really buggy. motorola to me does have the best build quality, but the trade offs for that build quality is why people hate motorola, the locked down system and the time it takes for them to update their phones now. im also disappointed at how long its taking them to update our phones, i personally like the new gingerblur and cant wait to run it (bloatware removed, of course) but i also wouldnt call this an epic fail.

if motorola manages to make an absolutely amazing device when it comes time for me to upgade, i will most definitely get a motorola device.

Asphyx

Reaction score
The hardware itself is actually very good. Moto did the hardware right.
What they are not good at is Software. but software we all know can be changed.

Compared to the HTC phones I used to own (back in the WM6 days) the device itself is far superior.

Blur sucks but it's really no worse than Sense.
They haven't released GB but even if they had all it would change is people switching back to complaining about the locked bootloader.

Everyone would take the OTA, play with it for a week, determine that the battery life sucks until you run a bloat removal script and that would require waiting for someone to root the new system.

I don't care when the OTA comes out, it would be nice only in regards to it may help get CM7 completed but the OS itself I could care less about.

I would be very happy if the only thing Moto ever released was the unlocking of the bootloader.
Cause if they did that We really wouldn't need them anymore. They really wouldn't have to spend a penny on updating software and no one would threaten boycotting their products anymore!

If you want to write and complain to Moto then complain about that not some missed GB release date!

Cause that solves ALL of your issues with the phone!

OP
I

IAm

Reaction score
What other company has had 2 phones featured on Android Central announcing that they are receiving the Gingerbread treatment ( Droid Pro and the Droid 2 Global) only to fail to deliver the update and any news about its release? I wonder how many people (me right here) went out and bought one of these phones assuming that it would be one of the then few phones to be running the software? I mean Verizon actually believed it was so close to have the changes and enhancements posted for weeks on their website. Only to have to remove it altogether? Wtf people?

Asphyx

Reaction score
Name a phone manufacturer that ever gave you an OS update before Android was invented?

I mean when we were all running WM6 at best all we ever got was a radio update at best and even then most of the time to get a new OS we had to make it from parts of other phones.

I would rather they just unlock it and let us put whatever OS we want than to keep it locked and spend the money they do on making new versions to keep us happy!

iguanad

Reaction score
What other company has had 2 phones featured on Android Central announcing that they are receiving the Gingerbread treatment ( Droid Pro and the Droid 2 Global) only to fail to deliver the update and any news about its release?

"Android Central reported that they would receive the update. The phones are still slotted to receive the update. Reports on timing of the update were incorrect. Motorola is not responsible for these reports."

I wonder how many people (me right here) went out and bought one of these phones assuming that it would be one of the then few phones to be running the software?

"You will eventually get Gingerbread. If you bought a phone because you thought you would be on a list of Gingerbread exclusive phones of the moment then the epic fail is your own."

I mean Verizon actually believed it was so close to have the changes and enhancements posted for weeks on their website. Only to have to remove it altogether? Wtf people?

"Someone at Verizon screwed up. Maybe the update was buggy and needs refinement as some reports have suggested. If that is the case, wouldn't you rather wait? I want Gingerbread too, but to me it is a bonus. I always hoped I would get it but I never counted on it.dancedroid

Once the update is issued this will be a moot point anyway.

KOBALT

Reaction score
I love mine. Can't wait to get the Bionic. But I plan on flashing it like crazy. My buddy had a Droid2 and has had nothing but problems. But he treats his phone like crap and drops it all the time. I've never been happier with my Moto.

Sent from my Justified DROIDX

Jorona

Reaction score
Name a phone manufacturer that ever gave you an OS update before Android was invented?

I mean when we were all running WM6 at best all we ever got was a radio update at best and even then most of the time to get a new OS we had to make it from parts of other phones.

I would rather they just unlock it and let us put whatever OS we want than to keep it locked and spend the money they do on making new versions to keep us happy!

My Motorola Q9c got updated from 6 to 6.1 and then to 6.5. My HTC Startrek got updated from 5 to 5.1.

I agree with unlocking the phone, but there are still files we need to run GB properly that only the manufacturer can make.

Its just the fact that we know its there that bothers me. If they had never said anything, I'd bet all of this hub bub wouldn't exist.

Byakushiki

Reaction score
I didn't have any of the problems reported here really when I was just running stock a day ago. Unrooted, no battery drain, blur launcher, etc. Solid as steel. All the bloat was intact too. Not a single random reboot either.

Sent from my cyanoblurred D2G

OP
I

IAm

Reaction score
why do we need another one of these threads

I now regret posting it. After looking through some of the other threads where countless people express their dissatisfaction with Motorolas lack of action with this issue, I figured I would try to grab their attention by concentrating the comments. Of course it backfired. Here they've received alot of praise actually. O well, I still believe that the tease was evil. Lol. Do what u do Moto and your faithful will march behind loyally.