Motorola Warns about the leaked Droid X Android 2.2 Update

Pluto77189

Reaction score
If you go back to 2.1, you lose everything, right? Is there any chance there will be a way to upgrade to the official 2.2 without having to to a factory reset?

Greeblesnort

Reaction score
This is really pretty sad considering that, since loading 2.2, I've gotten fewer FCs, almost 2 day battery life, and effectively, pure DroidX happiness.

Personally, I'm not flashing back to stock until I *have* to...or are they saying they're going to track who loaded 2.2 and then deny the upgrade even if it's been flashed back to stock?

Xpain

Reaction score
/\ /\ /\ same here... I have no issues, and unless they include something in the official update that I desperately need, I won't go back to 2.1 to then update again to 2.2 since I have 0 issues with it.

If I understand this correctly, I would lose everything by going back to 2.1, correct?

Also, can't we update manually from 2.2 leak to 2.2 official if someone uploads the official file?

jazzmang

Reaction score
Also, can't we update manually from 2.2 leak to 2.2 official if someone uploads the official file?

That would depend. I don't think you can use update.zip to reload a same version OS, so I'm guess Motorola was saying that your phone won't see official 2.2 as a valid "update" to leaked 2.2.

This implies that that you won't be able to update from leak 2.2 to official 2.2 without a full flash... meaning you'd lose everything, unfortunately. :icon_eek:

mjw51

Reaction score
droid x 2-2 ota update

dancedroidwhennnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

Amagine

Reaction score
I'm staying on the leaked version less moto gives me a reason to move (IE better features, better battery life, or possibly punting 2.2 leak users)
and if they decide to go the last route. I will start a suit, I wouldn't be the only one. Moto would be back to being broke faster than you can say SLVR.

throwscoach

Reaction score
I feel like you would be able to do a work around without having to flash back to 2.1 by doing an update.zip, but my understanding of operating systems is kind of poor. Does anyone have any opinions?

tony1208

Reaction score
don t you guess think even though we have leaked 2.2 now that the ota 2.2 won t be leaked also with a way to put it on the x ???
what ever moto says that can not be done on the x is being done....recovery done....roms are around the corner :) ...f u moto

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
I call BFD.

What moto warns about and cannot do, the modding community does.

Nothing to worry about, the gang will get anyone on it back to stock, or to the final release.

nuff said.

umx

Reaction score
always sbf flash, which i have done now a few times. works like a charm , first time i freaked out bc it boot looped at the droid eye, but i just did a factory restore after i did the flash and bam worked like a charm

umx

Reaction score
damit hit send, and like rx said someone will figure out something for the people on the leaked 2.2 to get to the release 2.2 or back to 2.1, hell more reason to install a custom rom at that point imo

Reaction score
I'm on 2.2 leaked, non-rooted and not concerned at this point... I'm pretty hopeful in believing that someone will have the "official" 2.2 and will have instructions for us leakers to "upgrade" our phones back to Stock 2.2.

Worst case scenario, I wait until 2.2 official is realeased, go back to stock 2.1, then do the OTA.

I guess my biggest issue would be having to wipe the handheld, though I have all my programs/settings documented so it would just be annoying to have to rebuild the widgets and setup the accounts again.

It's times like this when I really wish that Android had some sort of a Desktop Manager like my Blackberry did. The sweet thing in that software was that you could hit the "Change Device" button, hook your old phone up, back it up, then hook the new phone up and it would restore EVERYTHING to the new phone, right down to the notification settings and themes.

Anyone aware of a program that does that for Droid phones?

fishstick600

Reaction score
I'm on 2.2 leaked, non-rooted and not concerned at this point... I'm pretty hopeful in believing that someone will have the "official" 2.2 and will have instructions for us leakers to "upgrade" our phones back to Stock 2.2.

Worst case scenario, I wait until 2.2 official is realeased, go back to stock 2.1, then do the OTA.

I guess my biggest issue would be having to wipe the handheld, though I have all my programs/settings documented so it would just be annoying to have to rebuild the widgets and setup the accounts again.

It's times like this when I really wish that Android had some sort of a Desktop Manager like my Blackberry did. The sweet thing in that software was that you could hit the "Change Device" button, hook your old phone up, back it up, then hook the new phone up and it would restore EVERYTHING to the new phone, right down to the notification settings and themes.

Anyone aware of a program that does that for Droid phones?

The first time i wiped it sucked but then i flashed and wiped a few times trying to fix my exchange email. After a few wipes it only took me an hour to set back up my phone. Soooo i guess if u wipe enough you get proficient at setting it back up lol

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

truckbutt

Reaction score
Sorry if this is a dumb question. Does this apply at all to the Manual update of the Droid 1 to FRG22d?