Motorola Milestone Overclocking and rooting

RacecarBMW

Reaction score
Ok so I have a telus motorola milestone and I am planning on rooting it just for overclocking.

I have found a lot of tutorials but I was wondering if anyone had a really good tutorial that had instructions on rooting and Overclocking also maybe an Apps2SD

I also have a few questions

After my milestone is rooted can I return it to stock again, if yes how?

What Frequency should I run it on, the cpu was designed for 600 and it was underclocked to 550 so should i go with 800 mhz or what, I want my device to last.

Thanks

UNC

Reaction score
Ok so I have a telus motorola milestone and I am planning on rooting it just for overclocking.

I have found a lot of tutorials but I was wondering if anyone had a really good tutorial that had instructions on rooting and Overclocking also maybe an Apps2SD

What Frequency should I run it on, the cpu was designed for 600 and it was underclocked to 550 so should i go with 800 mhz or what, I want my device to last.

Thanks

While I do understand that the Milestone was recently rooted, and I know that it is possible to do the things you want with adp push and terminal emulator. I do not know how to do any of that stuff with a GSM device. I think most of the people on this particular site are primarily concerned with Verizon's Motorola Droid (CDMA).

dmo580

Reaction score
I do not know how to unroot. All-Droid used to be an excellent place to ask Milestone questions, but as for overclocking goes, I was concerned too. I'm a desktop overclocker and I know all the tricks and tips, but I was afraid to take my phone past 800 at first. Now I'm running 1ghz. No noticeable battery loss because you can undervolt a bit too as the CPU is quite tolerant.

I wouldn't go past 1ghz though even though some say 1.2ghz is ok.

Szadzik

Reaction score
Here is the tutorial:

1. Install RSD Lite.
2. Install Motorola drivers.
3. Download Vulnerable recovery.
4. Power off the phone.
5. Hold the d-pad up key and press the power button to boot into bootloader mode.
6. Connect the Milestone to the PC.
Open RSD Lite.
7. Click on the '...' button to choose the file to be flashed.
8. Click Start. Phone will be flashed and rebooted. When do boting procede to next step.
9. Download Update.zip file to root the phone.
10. Place the Update.zip file on the SD card - not in a filder, straight in the root.
11. Power off the phone.
12. Hold the camera button and power keys to boot up and see a yellow triangle with an exclamation mark.
13. Press and holder volume up button and then press camera button to see the recovery screen.
14. With the d-pad choose option 2 which says 'Applys update.zip'. You phone will get rooted.
15. With d-pad again choose option one to reboot.

Your phone is now reebotign and you have root access.

To Overclock:

1. download the Milestone Overclock APK file.
2. Put the file onto the SD card.
3. Use Astro File Manager to navigate to SD card and click on the Milestone overclock APK file in there. Click install.
4. Open Milestone overclock and click Load Module - you will be asked to confirm permissions and you need to click 'Always'.
Module is loaded and now you can choose the clock frequency.
5. To save battery life buy SetCPU and set up profiles.

Done.

There is no easier guide as it does not get easier than this. I am an Android noob too and did this without any problems at all.

OP
RacecarBMW

RacecarBMW

Reaction score
Here is the tutorial:

1. Install RSD Lite.
2. Install Motorola drivers.
3. Download Vulnerable recovery.
4. Power off the phone.
5. Hold the d-pad up key and press the power button to boot into bootloader mode.
6. Connect the Milestone to the PC.
Open RSD Lite.
7. Click on the '...' button to choose the file to be flashed.
8. Click Start. Phone will be flashed and rebooted. When do boting procede to next step.
9. Download Update.zip file to root the phone.
10. Place the Update.zip file on the SD card - not in a filder, straight in the root.
11. Power off the phone.
12. Hold the camera button and power keys to boot up and see a yellow triangle with an exclamation mark.
13. Press and holder volume up button and then press camera button to see the recovery screen.
14. With the d-pad choose option 2 which says 'Applys update.zip'. You phone will get rooted.
15. With d-pad again choose option one to reboot.

Your phone is now reebotign and you have root access.

To Overclock:

1. download the Milestone Overclock APK file.
2. Put the file onto the SD card.
3. Use Astro File Manager to navigate to SD card and click on the Milestone overclock APK file in there. Click install.
4. Open Milestone overclock and click Load Module - you will be asked to confirm permissions and you need to click 'Always'.
Module is loaded and now you can choose the clock frequency.
5. To save battery life buy SetCPU and set up profiles.

Done.

There is no easier guide as it does not get easier than this. I am an Android noob too and did this without any problems at all.

Ok thanks I will try that do you know how to do the apps2sd or no

Eggos

Reaction score

Thanks

Unrooting is generally easy; Flash the stock Telus 2.1 rom. I know, you'd think it would be harder.

As for what you run when overclocked, it's up to you. I run mine @ 800/60 most of the time. I have read some people find running 1000/70 is their preference. Really, anything below 1.1 should be just fine for daily use.

joa

Reaction score
It's worth noting that once you hit load module for the first time the app may crash. This is fine, just force close and try again. :)

OP
RacecarBMW

RacecarBMW

Reaction score
Ok I have 1 more question when the 2.2 froyo update arrives will I be able to get it will it damage my phone or can i just update normally

Also is setcpu free if it not is there a free alternative

joa

Reaction score
Don't think there is a free alternative at present. You can download said files ;) and put them on your sd card. then use Andexplorer (best i've found) for installing.

If rooted you won't be able to get froyo in the normal manner. You'll have to flash it with RSD Lite.

There will be further discussion on this i'm sure when it's available for milestone users.

joa

OP
RacecarBMW

RacecarBMW

Reaction score
Don't think there is a free alternative at present. You can download said files ;) and put them on your sd card. then use Andexplorer (best i've found) for installing.

If rooted you won't be able to get froyo in the normal manner. You'll have to flash it with RSD Lite.

There will be further discussion on this i'm sure when it's available for milestone users.

joa

what if I went back to stock android 2.1 and then got the update and then followed the above steps for rooting and overclocking would that work

also the custom launchers in the market will they still work while I am rooted and overclocked

Last edited:

Szadzik

Reaction score
what if I went back to stock android 2.1 and then got the update and then followed the above steps for rooting and overclocking would that work

also the custom launchers in the market will they still work while I am rooted and overclocked

For question #1: Yes, you can go back to stock 2.1 and then you will be able to get FroYo through Moto Update. I am not certain if it will still take the vulnerable recovery and be rootable though.

For question #2: Yes, everything will work as before.

OP
RacecarBMW

RacecarBMW

Reaction score

joa

Ok thanks because what I mainly want is just to get the higher clock speed
Is the droid on stock mhz(550) comparable to the snapdragons or no