Motorola Milestone Overclocking and rooting

Discussion in 'Motorola Milestone' started by RacecarBMW, Jun 16, 2010.

1. Croak

Croak New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Lowering the clock speed is a placebo, the Milestone ALREADY lowers the speed when sleeping by about as much as SetCPU would do, though it never drops down to 125, so that the phone will wake up fast enough to allow you to answer a call.

As for temps, as I said, if you adjust your voltage properly, there is never any worry about overheating, it simply won't. If you're balls-to-the-walls overclocking and have a voltage-hungry processor in your particular Milestone, then it's a slightly different story.

I think SetCPU was/is needed on custom overclocked Droid ROMs, because the way those ROMs are hacked for overclocking pretty much nukes the native speed management. But this kernel replacement .apk leaves the stock speed management intact, and SetCPU is then trying to override that.

Also take a look at how much battery % SetCPU consumes in a day. Any savings you get with more aggressive power management than native could easily be offset by how much juice SetCPU needs just to run.

Just try it for a couple days without SetCPU. I think you'll find that there are fewer "hitches" and slowdowns throughout the day (caused by SetCPU settings conflicting with native and polling overhead). And if you've dialed your voltage back as far as possible, you'll end up with the same or better battery life.

#25 Croak, Jun 19, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2010
  2. Tanknspank

Tanknspank Beta Team
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Setcpu just changes what the os does to the speed management, and sleeps until one of the profiles are tripped. Check out overclocking 101 in the hacking FAQ section. I still think its still better to have setcpu than it is to not.

3. RacecarBMW

RacecarBMW Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Wow the information keeps coming Ill try around different combinations of what you guys said and thanks Tanknspank I will take a look there

4. chad_petree

chad_petree Member

Ratings:
    +0
    when we install froyo will we lose the overclock? , since the root will be lost im asuming we will lose the overclock =/

#28 chad_petree, Jun 21, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2010
  5. Tanknspank

Tanknspank Beta Team
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, you will.

6. chad_petree

chad_petree Member

Ratings:
    +0
    What values did you use in khz to get 850 mhz? i type 850000 but nothing happens =/

7. Eggos

Eggos New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    It's 850000 when setting up custom in your settings. Put it in, tap ok, drag the bar all the way to the right then hit appy.

Sent from my Milestone using Tapatalk

8. soulreaperak

soulreaperak New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    make me understand

I brought a mile stone 2 weeks before dnt know nethn bout it. Am symbian user. Milestone is the first android phone to launch in india. Help me how to enjoy the features of android phone.

9. chad_petree

chad_petree Member

Ratings:
    +0
    L
    Drag the bar all the way to the right? Didnt know that was the way to "activate" the custom settinngs, not very intuitive :/ , by the way the only values you changed were custom rate and custom vesel? What about freq table address and mpu opps address?

#33 chad_petree, Jun 22, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2010
  10. Eggos

Eggos New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    The big yellow bar in the midfle of the app is what settings you're applying, custom us furthest to the right past the 1.2 preset.
    Hiting apply under that bar actually loads the module, thus making it overclock.
    Leave those two values as auto.

Sent from my Milestone

11. chad_petree

chad_petree Member

Ratings:
    +0
    so u just adjusted the khz and the vesel? sounds too good to be true, too easy xD

12. Kam5lc

Kam5lc New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I am once again trying to get my phone updated, but first i have a seemingly stupid question. Froyo seems to be out for droid users, but is it not available for milestone users with root?

Search tags for this page
after milestone overclock phone wont boot what should i do
milestone overclock 10.apk

milestone overclock apk

milestone overclock.apk
motorola milestone cpu cooling
motorola milestone overclock module
motorola milestone tricks