Motorola Droid - Sluggish desktop

mpit52

Reaction score
so the other day I noticed that my droid was taking longer to load the app shortcuts on the desktop then normal. I though it could have been related to the latest update of "launcherPro". Since I noticed that the latest firmware update allowed for more then 3 screens, I uninstalled LauncherPro..only this did not resolve the sluggishness of the phone. I looked any any recently installed apps and removed them, hoping it was something related..No luck. I then Tried to clear the cache from all apps....still nothing. I have tried rebooting the phone and still no luck..It basically takes about 5+ seconds for my apps to populate on the desktop of th phone. The only thing I see is the 3 button on the bottom (phone, menu, web). If I try to select the menu button, the app draw opens but there are no apps...after a few seconds (depending on how long I wait to push the menu button) everything shows up. I've had the phone for about 6 months now so I know its not suppose to be this slow...does anyone have an suggestions on how to fix/resolve this.

ps. The phone is not rooted.

wawsr

Reaction score
Me too

This is occurring on both my and my wife's phone also - very annoying - also occurs when switching from orientations.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Try getting a cache cleaner from the Market and clear the caches in your apps. That should help some.

Also if either of you are using a task killer or virus protection get rid of it. It's not necessary.

pyroboy

Reaction score
I had the same problem.
I switched to ZEAM launcher and now i am back to normal though.
It is a problem with launcher pro on my d1.

Wadman

Reaction score
I have had this problem too. I uninstalled my task manager (which makes me uncomfortable because I've had one on there since I got my phone). This seems to have taken care of the problem. No freezing up or anything for about an hour now....thanks

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
It's my experience that the majority of people who seem to have these slow down issues aren't doing any maintenance on their phone. No maintenance and eventually you will end up doing a factory data reset.

Cache cleaners are something everyone should have.

abraham3660

Reaction score
Try getting a cache cleaner from the Market and clear the caches in your apps. That should help some.

Also if either of you are using a task killer or virus protection get rid of it. It's not necessary.

I stopped using task killers along time ago, but I recently installed lookout and it has anti-virus. Should I disable this feature?

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

I stopped using task killers along time ago, but I recently installed lookout and it has anti-virus. Should I disable this feature?

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

You can disable it. There is basically no need to worry about virusus on an android phone so an anti-virus program is just wasting resources.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

Wadman

Reaction score
It's my experience that the majority of people who seem to have these slow down issues aren't doing any maintenance on their phone. No maintenance and eventually you will end up doing a factory data reset.

When I go to the market to download a cache cleaner there are only 5 that come up. Is there one in particular that you would suggest. I was starting to worry that my phone was just getting old because it was really slowing down. I'm sure I need to clean it up......

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

When I go to the market to download a cache cleaner there are only 5 that come up. Is there one in particular that you would suggest. I was starting to worry that my phone was just getting old because it was really slowing down. I'm sure I need to clean it up......

Well, I use Quick App Clean Cache. It works for both rooted and non rooted phones. You can easily see if an app needs cache cleaned if you are not rooted. Stock phones cache needs to be cleaned one app at a time.

bearhawk426

Reaction score
Found my problem

Since upgrading my Droid 1 to Froyo I have had the problem of my screen taking up to 30 seconds to redraw. Usually it is when I have changed orientation and or used the physical keyboard. I have tried other launchers and cleared my cache with no success.
Yesterday I deleted everything off of all of my desktops and started putting things back one at a time to see if I could find the problem. I started by putting back my widgets, assuming that one of these was probably the issue. After putting all four of my must have widgets back everything still worked. So I added back my page one apps and again everything worked. After this I started recreating my folders. I had 7 folders with 14+ apps each. After recreating the folders the problem reappeared. I then took the apps out of the folders and spread them around the 5 screens and deleted the folders. I now have all 5 screens full and no folders. Everything works great.
Jim

OP
M

mpit52

Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys. Sorry it took a while for me to get back..I didn't have my notification settings set correctly lol.
Im uninstalling Advance Task manager now and installing Quick App Clean Cache. I will let everyone know how it goes.

OP
M

mpit52

Reaction score
So still no luck with the cache cleaner and removing Task manager. I also rebooted my phone after doing so. I will go ahead and start deleting widgets and Icons to see if that resolved.

Cool Cake

Reaction score

I would love to find out what others are doing for maintenance on their Droid 1's

OP
M

mpit52

Reaction score
GREAT SUCCESS!!! It seems that a music player widget was causing my slowness. I removed all widgets and tested them one by one until I found the one that slowed things up. I would probably suggest trying this before clearing cache and removing apps like Advance Task killer. I've installed that the 1st day I got my droid..so I don't think it had anything to do with the slowness. Anywaysss, everything is working perfect. Thanks everyone for there help and suggestions.