Motorola Apparently Not Satisfied With Android

13th angel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
If anyone would bother to read the actual article, it states that nothing is confirmed.

You mean we're supposed to read on a forum? *sarcasm*

Good luck with actually getting everyone to read it though, alot of people just jump to conclusions.

Sent from my Liberated D2G

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
What I want to know is why someone would leave a thriving company like Apple or Adobe to go work for Motorola, which will be gone in about 5 years. Bad job decision.

13th angel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
What I want to know is why someone would leave a thriving company like Apple or Adobe to go work for Motorola, which will be gone in about 5 years. Bad job decision.

I would assume they were offered more money. People are greedy and take whatever offers the most even if its not the best decision for the future.

Sent from my Liberated D2G

StingRay

Reaction score
Sounds good to me Motorola...

please give all of us that purchased Droid Pros, Droid2 Globals, etc. for corporate email capabilities refunds since these devices have failed miserably as business devices...

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
Well I hope these Adobe and Apple people were offered a ton of money to join Moto, because their is no job security. They Fail more than the succeed. I honestly thought it was done for moto after they made the Moto Krave back in the day. Worst phone ever.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Everyone is assuming they are ditching Android. Nobody knows what their actual plans are. Perhaps they are building a platform that caters to the power users/business sector. Since RIM has that on lockdown with very little to no competition there is room for a competitor.

Regardless, I think its a pretty exciting time with some potential for some exciting innovation. Give it a chance then judge. Right now nobody knows anything. Something really good could come out of this.

Droid--->ether--->this thread

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Agree with ck...this could be something not concerning Android really. The apparent inability for good exchange support with Android might mean for power business users they are going a different direction. The Droid Pro wasn't the BB killer they wanted it to be.

Sent from somewhere...

Tillmorn

Reaction score
I've been reading the forums for a few months now, finally decided to create an account and share my own .02 cents.

One thing that I think people often forget, especially on Android forums, is that a stock Android experience is not what made Motorola king-of-the-hill with the Droid release. Those results rest solely on the Droid being the first Android device released that was overall a pretty polished device, both inside and out, on a well-rounded network. If Moto had released it with their first version of Blur, it still would have sold rather well.

You've got to remember, most of us here are not exactly "average consumers". Honestly, we end up griping about one thing or another while our friends and family laugh it off because they are the average consumers, and they see nothing wrong with the phones as they are.

With that said, I think Moto might be on to something... if they take a more hands-on approach with android and consumers like us (who see what the shortcomings are), creating a Blur that picks up in areas where stock Android leaves off to create a better running OS as a whole.

Will this probably be the case? No, as most companies, both manufacturers and service providers, feel the need to put some form of bloatware in devices, lock everything down because they think everyone and their grandmother wants to steal their software, create slight hardware differences between phones for "more profits", etc.

But it's nice to dream.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
The thing with Blur....compared to Sense UI.... Motorola needs to focus on hardware.

If HTC woulda said this I could understand. If Motorola hires some Apple, WebOS and Android ppl to help if they do decide to do this, then more power to em.

Snow02

Reaction score
I'm predicting we'll see some cool, innovative stuff from the moto camp over the next year or two. I'm certainly withholding judgment until proven otherwise. I think it's pretty universally agreed upon that moto makes some nice hardware, and it sounds like they want to improve the software side of things to go along with that, which can only be a good thing in the long run. Competition always yields better products for the consumer.

kicker10bog

Reaction score
Let them do it. And hope it's not Android-based.

If it isn't Android-based and it succeeds, Google will have to improve Android. The only reasons some people buy Android phones are because they can do a lot and it's not Apple. If Moto creates an OS that can do as much as Android and iOS, they'll have some success.

However, I don't see this working out for them if they completely abandon Android, which they probably won't do. I could see them hiring new employees to work on this project while they still sale Andriod devices, with or without blur.

And all this is speculation.

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
Motorola is stuck in their ways. Innovation is not their strong point. They make ugly devices with ugly interfaces. They are in this for money and not to be on the fore front of innovation. They see use extending the life of our devices through root, money lost for them. They see us fixing problems with their interface with root, anti-promotion for blur.

If they have their own OS they can have total control over development. Hence we have to take the designed obsolescence they give us if we choose to buy their garbage.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
^lol...well if innovation isnt their strong point....wouldnt something like this be them trying to be innovative?

Snow02

Reaction score
Uh, innovation tends to lead to more dollars. So it logically follows that they would be encouraged to innovate. And to their credit, they released the first dual core phone. And the docking/webtop aspect is absolutely innovative. So forgive me if I don't see what you're talking about.

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yes I guess they do have some innovation, but blur is hardly innovative.

IMO Motorola is just using this as an excuse to control their customer base, which they do not have total control of with android and the rooting community. These new devices reliant on their own OS will be more bloated and locked down than their android devices are, and they will use their fancy bells and whistles to sell them to the masses. I can't image development will be open with moto's OS. But idk this is just speculation on my part.