Moto Z and Moto Z Force will Include a One-Handed Mode Called “Swipe to shrink screen”

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Now this is an example of out of the box thinking from those crafty engineers at Motorola. There's a new software feature on the Moto Z and Moto Z Force. It's called "swipe to shrink screen" and it's sole purpose is to allow easier one-handed use for folks with smaller hands.

Above is a video from a YouTube blogger (Erica Griffin) showing off this handy idea (at the 9:53 mark). The way it works is that you just have to drag your finger upwards from the bottom of the display. This is different than previous one-handed modes which typically have you move your finger to the left or right side. The starting point is in the center-bottom on the display, and touching the black area exits the mode. Nifty!

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Very cool. That would be handy on my Turbo 2 sometimes.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Sweet, very sweet. The Mods are looking very cool and I'm confident were going to see some really cool stuff.

It came mine to me previously that a car mount could simply be a Moto Mod back built onto a suction cup device. How convenient is that? Not only can it be a Moto Mod for purposes but it can also provide additional functionality such as an auto mode or driving mode, or connectivity to a car that doesn't yet have Bluetooth and there's a lot of them out there including people that have older Orr classic cars for instance.

The screen shrink needs to be able to move to the left or right like the keyboard can on my Turbo 2.

22e012bfe80b400042e207d56aad5162.jpg
0eb5ed585e72adc00aac1faa214eb711.jpg

That will be the bomb for the iPhone 4 sized phone enthusiast and those with small hands. Shrink to text and type, expand for surfing, video calls, camera, etc.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

k1601

Reaction score
Sweet, very sweet. The Mods are looking very cool and I'm confident were going to see some really cool stuff.

It came mine to me previously that a car mount could simply be a Moto Mod back built onto a suction cup device. How convenient is that? Not only can it be a Moto Mod for purposes but it can also provide additional functionality such as an auto mode or driving mode, or connectivity to a car that doesn't yet have Bluetooth and there's a lot of them out there including people that have older Orr classic cars for instance.

Is be cool if you could charge through the moto mods ports. Then your car mount could be a charger, essentially creating a "wireless" charger. Add that to connectivity and we'd be talking. I really like how they carried this out. You could have similar docks on your bed side at night.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Is be cool if you could charge through the moto mods ports. Then your car mount could be a charger, essentially creating a "wireless" charger. Add that to connectivity and we'd be talking. I really like how they carried this out. You could have similar docks on your bed side at night.

But you will. The Moto Mods have access to the power connections of the phone so that's almost an absolute definite.

k1601

Reaction score
But you will. The Moto Mods have access to the power connections of the phone so that's almost an absolute definite.

The only thing that would be better is 3 generations of phones that can use it... That would really drive it home for me.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
The only thing that would be better is 3 generations of phones that can use it... That would really drive it home for me.

Totally. This has to be a style of back that will live on. Investing in all those Mods only to have them become landfill with the next phone would be suicide for Lenovo/Motorola. Still, knowing how Lenovo works and how their Thinkpad remains essentially the same form factor, with power supplies, docking stations and batteries often interchangeable between many models and over many generations I have a suspicion this was given great thought.

This system of Mods was obviously in development for quite a while I'm sure, and I am also sure they wanted to get it right the first time. You can't have a bad first showing with something like this, since any design changes necessary to address concerns could easily kill off functionality of existing Mods. The phone back shape must remain unchanged, pin locations obviously can't be moved, the mounting system must remain magnets going forward. All this is now etched in stone. In a way it's great and liberating, in another if it doesn't take off, it's crippling.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I might add that even without Mods, and maybe perhaps just a custom back this phone will sell like hotcakes. The average user may not be excited at the ability to add Mods, perhaps a battery Mod, but if they buy the Force they won't even need that, however I'll bet first time Android buyers will buy this phone for its sheer power, awesome GUI and Vanilla Android, and for the overall look, which I must admit is very reminiscent of the Apple iPhone 6 with its smooth curved edges on the Z. I think this is an iPhone-killer of a Motorola/Lenovo (will always be Motorola to me), product.

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
damn..... damn damn damn........ I'm probably gonna get the droid exclusive one... >_> I'd rather get an unlocked version but these look really nice... the mods look cool and I'm definitely interested.

thanks verizon for being so selfish.

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
Totally. This has to be a style of back that will live on. Investing in all those Mods only to have them become landfill with the next phone would be suicide for Lenovo/Motorola. Still, knowing how Lenovo works and how their Thinkpad remains essentially the same form factor, with power supplies, docking stations and batteries often interchangeable between many models and over many generations I have a suspicion this was given great thought.

This system of Mods was obviously in development for quite a while I'm sure, and I am also sure they wanted to get it right the first time. You can't have a bad first showing with something like this, since any design changes necessary to address concerns could easily kill off functionality of existing Mods. The phone back shape must remain unchanged, pin locations obviously can't be moved, the mounting system must remain magnets going forward. All this is now etched in stone. In a way it's great and liberating, in another if it doesn't take off, it's crippling.
they did mention these would be compatible with future versions, not sure how true that is at this point but it's definitely the smart move, get all the mods you want and when you upgrade your phone you just use your current mods no need to buy more... if they actually follow through with that it's going to seal the deal.

rebelmuddlite

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Sony Xperia z3v
The mods are sweet. More than likely going to get one. However, i wish the shrink screen feature was more like my lg v10's implementation where no matter the screen you are on or app you are in, swipe from left to right on the navigation icon area and it shrinks the whole screen into a windowed mode that you can customize the size and location. Also if you swipe from right to left, it does the same but its left handed mode where the "x" to return to full screen is on the opposite corner of the window. I have used the feature numerous times while my other hand has been occupied. But i am glad to see Lenovorola have added a similar feature in. It definitely will make me lean slightly more towards dropping the cash on the device.