Moto X Google Play Edition Coming Soon

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
[video=youtube;3ZX8graseUQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZX8graseUQ&feature=c4-overview&list=UUBJycsmduvYEL83R_U4JriQ[/video]

After watching this youtube I would say MB made a lot of sense. Motorola with the customization and features were after the consumers not the geeks.

With that said I still do not think that justifies the price point for the device imo.

MMBrown26

Reaction score
Mid-Level Specs, fewer features AND High Level Price: I'm cornfuzzled.

My understanding of Moto X's entire design strategy was to offer a solid piece of technology directed at the mainstream market with an affordable price that would not only catch the attention of that market segment but also generate tons of sales there. The announced pricing structure baffles me if this was actually Motorola's intent. Nevertheless, I cannot wait to play with one of these new babies. I've been such a Moto kind of guy for so long iti's hard not to get excited about the new devices despite what could be some hard to comprehend features and pricing. I'll assume that Motorola knows their market far better than I do and what strategies will grab the most market share to put the company where it needs to be. Some of what I am reading definitely leaves me scratching my head in wonder though. But don't these new devices look amazingly nice? I cannot follow the AT&T exclusive.... reminds me way too much of Apple and AT&T partnership. I'm just not into exclusivity. But I guess that Motorola is. I guess in one way that strategy gives the company time to make their customization process work with other providers. AT&T sure does get a lot of first dibs on nice phones though. Just random thoughts. Hope everyone is doing well & have a nice weekend! :icon_ lala:

wooddale

Reaction score
You guys are all dreaming it's gonna be at least $599 off contract.

TheOldFart

Reaction score
You guys are all dreaming it's gonna be at least $599 off contract.

That's the point I was trying to make in another thread, but was repeatedly told that it will be $300 like the current Nexus price. I agree they are all dreamers at a $300 price.

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
point is, it has $300 specs with $600 price. it's very comparable with nexus 4 which now sells for $300 without contract.

with $600 tag it will have to battle with htc one, galaxy s4 and droid maxx. frankly as much as i like moto x, it doesn't stand a chance.

Last edited:

TheOldFart

Reaction score
point is, it has $300 specs with $600 price. it's very comparable with nexus 4 which now sells for $300 without contract.

with $600 tag it will have to battle with htc one, galaxy s4 and droid maxx. frankly as much as i like moto x, it doesn't stand a chance.

Nexus 4 $349 with 16GB, no 4G LTE without root. Useless to me and most.

wooddale

Reaction score
Are the nav keys on the screen like the razr maxx. So 4.7 becomes 4.5 unless you can get rid a nd use lmt but you woulx need root

TheOldFart

Reaction score
Are the nav keys on the screen like the razr maxx. So 4.7 becomes 4.5 unless you can get rid a nd use lmt but you woulx need root

Yes. I measured usable screen from the photos at about 4.44". The new Droid series has off screen buttons and a 5" screen. With the Droid Ultra being the same price with contract as the Moto X, I wouldn't even consider the Moto X. By the way, I do agree that $600 is too much for the Moto X, but expecting it to be $300 is not realistic.

wooddale

Reaction score
Im with you think they can keep there Moto X unless you can get it for $300 and we both know thats not gonna happen

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I suspect reviews of the Moto X to be something like: "it's hard to justify $600+ for these specs, but it performs just as well - and better in some cases - than higher specced phones going for $700+"

It probably won't be a smash hit, but it will be successful. I think it could be a game-changer in the sense that OEM's will start to think more about how to sell their phones, and price, beyond the spec wars.

The other game-changer might be Sony (I think) doing some innovative things with the camera.

IMO, the spec wars on display and cpu are over - with the exception of high-end gaming (which should be an oxymoron on a 5" phone) it's all overkill at this point.

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
What is with all of you? Why do you assume that there is any reason ON EARTH this device should sell for $600? The damn thing costs ~$225-$229 to build, and $8 to to Assemble. Not only would selling at $300 be profitable unlike the comparable N4, but if it sold half as well as it should it would yield them a few BILLION in profit from X sales ALONE. Not counting market-share. Not counting advertisements.

What am I missing?

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
What is with all of you? Why do you assume that there is any reason ON EARTH this device should sell for $600? The damn thing costs ~$225-$229 to build, and $8 to to Assemble. Not only would selling at $300 be profitable unlike the comparable N4, but if it sold half as well as it should it would yield them a few BILLION in profit from X sales ALONE. Not counting market-share. Not counting advertisements.

What am I missing?

Right 300 is a smart price and would be awesome. We talking about a motorola device that is built similar to the loved galaxy nexus sold at a sweet price point, that you can customize the build, unlock the bootloader, and for the 300 price range perform to up to par. Some one up at Motorola have their head stuck (somewhere) if they think that $600 off contract is the pricing point. This phone could easily out sell last years nexus 4 if priced right.

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
Right 300 is a smart price and would be awesome. We talking about a motorola device that is built similar to the loved galaxy nexus sold at a sweet price point, that you can customize the build, unlock the bootloader, and for the 300 price range perform to up to par. Some one up at Motorola have their head stuck (somewhere) if they think that $600 off contract is the pricing point. This phone could easily out sell last years nexus 4 if priced right.

Someone sees the light! Thank you.

TheOldFart

Reaction score

What am I missing?

And you know this how?