Moto X Google Play Edition Coming Soon

wooddale

Reaction score
I would buy one for $300 just to see what it's all about. I already have a Note and a razr maxx. Dont think it's gonna be much better.

diesel97

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
moto x 2013
From someone who is waiting for a new phone (VWZ) i love al this back in forth talk about the pros and cons. still on the fence but i havent heard any thing about the pros and cons on the antena (RF) . Moto x is different than the droid line is it worth it ?

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
So the geeks don't think this phone is worth $600+. They are probably correct - the marginal difference in hardware is probably worth about $50...so $550 :)

Everyone has their nit - mine is the lack of SD card. And I don't know if that display size is just right or I would want something larger. It remains to be seen how the battery life is, but I think those two special dedicated processors could be a big leg-up over more "powerful" phones offering similar features - features which I do think are catching on.

I think hardware wise the phone is otherwise just fine, although the mass market does tend to look at price and pick the higher specs. The Moto X is clearly not "the phone" that stands above all else, but I do think it is sufficiently differentiated that it will sell as well as the other top phones. That said, it's a good point about the Droid line being very similar and a bit more powerful PLUS getting more promo love from VZW.

One final point, which is probably irrelevant to most but not on this forum: I wonder if that processor and some of those features won't pose difficult and unique challenges to rom developers.

Anyway, fingers crossed for a Moto Nexus device sometime in the "near" future that Google will subsidize to show other OEM's the way.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
From someone who is waiting for a new phone (VWZ) i love al this back in forth talk about the pros and cons. still on the fence but i havent heard any thing about the pros and cons on the antena (RF) . Moto x is different than the droid line is it worth it ?

Welcome aboard my friend. Definitely a good discussion about this phone. But I will say this no matter how I feel, CK, or any one else in the end the most important thing is how you feel. If you go in the store and you love this thing and it just fit you then the reality is it truly is the best phone for you and in the end that is all that is important. Welcome to the forum. On of the best things about this place is you will get opinions some similar others opposing but we do so out of respect. As much as I will bash CK on his opinion on the X ;) I respect it either way and in the end if he made the choice that it is his phone of choice then it really doesnt matter how I feel since he is paying for it.

wooddale

Reaction score
I to am curious about processor the main reason I would get the phone. Im not interested in a lot of whistles and bells I want a phone that is fast and will get me a good signal if one is available. I think Moto has the field signal wise but my maxx has got some lag no matter no matter what rom or system I am on If the X can fix that it's worth a shot no matter what the specs as is the new Maxx.

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
here is a good comparison between phones and a little bit more info on moto x.

[video=youtube_share;lX0OKEIqH7w]http://youtu.be/lX0OKEIqH7w[/video]

[video=youtube_share;5P5_yAA9xTE]http://youtu.be/5P5_yAA9xTE[/video]

Last edited:

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
The performance looks pretty snappy - that it's almost purely stock is going to offset the lower CPU vs. the S4 and One running their bloated UI's. And the "OK Google Now" is a cool feature (aside from the activation phrase, which apparently can't be customized).

The "smart" notifications are pretty cool, although if you can't tweak it I could see that being frustrating for people with a different preference from stock.

That's the second reviewer I've seen have a problem with the photo shake. And it looks like part of it is that it seems to only work when the notifications come on (so not working from a total sleep state). That's my point about the smart notifications - you can always just turn it on normally, but the timing of how those flash could definitely be a PITA.

OP
cereal killer

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
You know i disagree. By the way talking to your phone is not a "unique feature" as i can do that with my current phone.

But we will allow sells to determine how people feel.

Ck we cool but on this issue we are on opposite sides of the fence. Plus can you honestly tell me you would renew your contract and buy this phone over the one, s4, n2, ulta razr maxx. If so you are truly in love with this phone and I respect that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
Can you talk to your Note 2 or any other Android phone without picking,waking and unlocking it and have it do a myriad of things for you such as --set alarms, reminders, searches etc?

Would I pick it up over the Droid Ultra/MAXX? No, because I prefer the aesthetics of the Ultra. Now if the Ultra wasn't the X in another costume then I would pick the X. Would I pick up the X over the S4, HTC One and Note 2? Yes, it offers more features over those handsets. It can do everything the S4, N2 and One can do and more.

Now if all I cared about was how a phone looked on paper (Newest Processor with hundreds of cores) then I'd jump on the phone that had the latest and greatest processor. When I'm using a phone, I don't care what's powering it as long as it offers a smooth, fast and unique experience. I've been on the platform since '09 and the experience from one Android phone from the next is pretty identical. Yes there are some minor differences, but at the end of the day they are all pretty similar. I want something different, I want something unique, I want a manufacturer to start thinking outside of the box and go somewhere else with Android. I_think_Motorola a Google company is just starting to head down that path, and will be the pioneers of a whole other Android experience going forward. This is the first handset from them, so it remains to be seen if they will continue to try and buck the current system. The spec race is a dead end in my opinion and I also believe that unique features/user expereince is the ONLY way to break the stranglehold that Samsung has on the Android market.

BTW I'm not in love with this phone :big smile: I just see Moto breaking from the pack and trying to do things differently, which I really respect. It's long overdue in my opinion.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I think the X8 looks to be a relatively revolutionary processor. I could see it not having the theoretical performance of other competitors, but providing a superior user experience. People are too focused on specs - Moto did not miss with the X, they brought a truly differentiated device to market that is worthy of the price. Although they may have repeated a mistake they've struggled with, which is bringing 3-4 nearly identical devices (with different branding) to market at the same time.

Moto is definitely onto something with the deep integration of Google Now. On the other hand, I'd have said the same thing with their "smart actions" which had the potential to surpass Tasker/Locale but was more or less abandoned - although it must be in there somewhere because it's a joke to talk about "context awareness" without them.

This is a game change, IF they can execute and continue to improve. The mere movement of the phone triggering the low-power notifications is something similar that I tried to do 3 years ago with Locale (but ultimately it was buggy and power hungry to do).

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Can you talk to your Note 2 or any other Android phone without picking,waking and unlocking it and have it do a myriad of things for you such as --set alarms, reminders, searches etc?

Would I pick it up over the Droid Ultra/MAXX? No, because I prefer the aesthetics of the Ultra. Now if the Ultra wasn't the X in another costume then I would pick the X. Would I pick up the X over the S4, HTC One and Note 2? Yes, it offers more features over those handsets. It can do everything the S4, N2 and One can do and more.

Now if all I cared about was how a phone looked on paper (Newest Processor with hundreds of cores) then I'd jump on the phone that had the latest and greatest processor. When I'm using a phone, I don't care what's powering it as long as it offers a smooth, fast and unique experience. I've been on the platform since '09 and the experience from one Android phone from the next is pretty identical. Yes there are some minor differences, but at the end of the day they are all pretty similar. I want something different, I want something unique, I want a manufacturer to start thinking outside of the box and go somewhere else with Android. I_think_Motorola a Google company is just starting to head down that path, and will be the pioneers of a whole other Android experience going forward. This is the first handset from them, so it remains to be seen if they will continue to try and buck the current system. The spec race is a dead end in my opinion and I also believe that unique features/user expereince is the ONLY way to break the stranglehold that Samsung has on the Android market.

BTW I'm not in love with this phone :big smile: I just see Moto breaking from the pack and trying to do things differently, which I really respect. It's long overdue in my opinion.

Nice but let's see what happens. I'm not going to argue the appeal but that phone at that price at this time will not sell. But we will let time and numbers speak.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 4

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm not going to argue the appeal but that phone at that price at this time will not sell.

I think it will hold its own very well on the contract/subsidized price (which is probably 95% of sales). Although this and their new Droids might cannibalize each other. Plus, I believe Google is spending $500M to market this, and that will pretty much guarantee success. It would be interesting to debate if instead using that to subsidize $200 off retail would yield more sales (I'd guess "No" because most people buy on contract and often associate price with quality)

People are hung-up on the hardware pricing and ignoring the software/features/engineering that went into this. It's sufficiently differentiated. Some people won't care for the deeply integrated context aware features and will see better value in the better spec'd One or S4. Others will see more value in those features vs. marginally better specs they probably don't need.

Last edited:

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score

I can't believe I missed this the first time.
Right now my n2 will not wake from sleep and search but you can bet once the phone gets in hands of dev it will. But for that i will have to give you that out of the box my n2 can't do that.

You said you would not choose it over the ultra. Bro you made my point in that one simple statement. You probably one of the few who argue in defense on the x (I respect that you will stick by your opinion and bring good arguments to the table thanks for that) but in the end no matter how many people say "yeah its worth it" if they don't buy it doesn't matter. Its like "oh look at that cute little doggie in the window". You banging on the glass puppy wagging his tail and smiling. But if you walk off that puppy will continue to sit there with no home. If motorola is getting passed over then that means they are going to lose their heads on this no matter how innovative it is. Especially since the Droids will have the same mx8 chip.

bweN diorD

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
G2
if they could make the phone without lag, we wouldnt need hundreds of cores and 4 tons of ram. as it stands, we keep getting more cores, ghz, and ram, yet still have lag.
after a couple weeks to a month of use, this phone will likely lag like most of the others. they always seem snappy right out of the box.

i agree though, they dont have to use the latest hardware to make a great phone. although, until they stop trying to compensate for poor software with monster hardware, we will always come back to this same discussion in my opinion.

bweN diorD

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
G2
I can't believe I missed this the first time.
Right now my n2 will not wake from sleep and search but you can bet once the phone gets in hands of dev it will. But for that i will have to give you that out of the box my n2 can't do that.

You said you would not choose it over the ultra. Bro you made my point in that one simple statement. You probably one of the few who argue in defense on the x (I respect that you will stick by your opinion and bring good arguments to the table thanks for that) but in the end no matter how many people say "yeah its worth it" if they don't buy it doesn't matter. Its like "oh look at that cute little doggie in the window". You banging on the glass puppy wagging his tail and smiling. But if you walk off that puppy will continue to sit there with no home. If motorola is getting passed over then that means they are going to lose their heads on this no matter how innovative it is. Especially since the Droids will have the same mx8 chip.

damn!! now i wana go get a puppy lol