Moto Droid Supposedly Getting Froyo on 7/13

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wongway

Reaction score
I really apologize if this was covered before, but with your mic issues, I have to ask...

Do you have a case on your phone now? or some type of plastic protection wrapped around it (Zagg shield or somesuch)?

If so, I would suggest trying to make calls with your phone bare and without a case to see if that solves the issue. I've heard of people having issues because the case or protectant was covering up one of the two microphones the droid has.

howzball

Reaction score
I've actually forgotten why 2.2 is going to change my life anyway so I'll just wait it out.
I couldn't believe all the hype over 2.1 and when I got it there didn't seem to be all that much to it.

dan j

Reaction score
how is verizon delaying it? they never said when it was coming. to delay something you have to give a expected date first then not deliver
I bought an Android phone, that uses Verizon as its carrier.

Google has an update, and we should get it, but the carrier is holding it up for whatever reason. I don't care if Verizon gave an expected date or not, I didn't buy a Moto Verizon, I bought a Droid and when Droid is updated I want the updates.

littlerick

Reaction score
how is verizon delaying it? they never said when it was coming. to delay something you have to give a expected date first then not deliver

Google has an update, and we should get it, but the carrier is holding it up for whatever reason. I don't care if Verizon gave an expected date or not, I didn't buy a Moto Verizon, I bought a Droid and when Droid is updated I want the updates.

1st google creates the android system then gives it to the manufacturer (moto) then they finish and give it to verizon to test for bugs. when verizon finds bugs they give it back to moto to redo the update. its not as simple as google makes it and then its to us immediately. they wouldnt want to give out a system update that has all kinds of bugs in it. we are lucky we have had 2 updates so far, most smartphones dont get that. and sorry to say but you did buy a verizon motorola droid not just a droid so verizon, motorola and google all have a part in it and it takes time to make the system work well with the droid. the 84b we had was a test system that was leaked so its not finished. i'm sure it will be here soon. we all have to sit back and wait unless you can write the entire system update for us.

dan j

Reaction score

1st google creates the android system then gives it to the manufacturer (moto) then they finish and give it to verizon to test for bugs. when verizon finds bugs they give it back to moto to redo the update. its not as simple as google makes it and then its to us immediately. they wouldnt want to give out a system update that has all kinds of bugs in it. we are lucky we have had 2 updates so far, most smartphones dont get that. and sorry to say but you did buy a verizon motorola droid not just a droid so verizon, motorola and google all have a part in it and it takes time to make the system work well with the droid. the 84b we had was a test system that was leaked so its not finished. i'm sure it will be here soon. we all have to sit back and wait unless you can write the entire system update for us.
Sorry, but you're wrong, IMHO. It's Android based, which is open source with apps and software that Google designed and continues to design. I bought a phone based on the fact that it was from Google, and that Google wouldn't just walk away from the platform - they'd continue development as long as they were in business. No one told me the carrier could decide that they don't like the newest features because it provides features they don't like (wi-fi hub for one) and the update would cut into future sales. Suddenly it's not open source and Google driven, it's just another phone.

If I wanted a phone that was locked down I'd have bought an iPhone or stuck with my Windows Mobile phone.

I have no choice but to sit back and wait for Froyo, but sitting around waiting for Verizon to bless us with an update not what I paid for when I signed up for an Android.

littlerick

Reaction score

Sorry, but you're wrong, IMHO. It's Android based, which is open source with apps and software that Google designed and continues to design. I bought a phone based on the fact that it was from Google, and that Google wouldn't just walk away from the platform - they'd continue development as long as they were in business. No one told me the carrier could decide that they don't like the newest features because it provides features they don't like (wi-fi hub for one) and the update would cut into future sales. Suddenly it's not open source and Google driven, it's just another phone.

If I wanted a phone that was locked down I'd have bought an iPhone or stuck with my Windows Mobile phone.

I have no choice but to sit back and wait for Froyo, but sitting around waiting for Verizon to bless us with an update not what I paid for when I signed up for an Android.

where did it say verizon was locking it down? how is it not open source? they have to check for bugs if not everyone that had a bug would take the phone back and want a new one.

DylanAZ

Reaction score
I really apologize if this was covered before, but with your mic issues, I have to ask...

Do you have a case on your phone now? or some type of plastic protection wrapped around it (Zagg shield or somesuch)?

If so, I would suggest trying to make calls with your phone bare and without a case to see if that solves the issue. I've heard of people having issues because the case or protectant was covering up one of the two microphones the droid has.

I do not have a case on it, but thanks for the input.

AngDroid

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score

WOW...Good thing you did not get a Samsung device.

JCo352

Reaction score

It's no ones responsibility but your own. You'll get the update when it gets here.

dan j

Reaction score
where did it say verizon was locking it down? how is it not open source? they have to check for bugs if not everyone that had a bug would take the phone back and want a new one.
If it walks like a duck and talks like a duck then it's a ...

dan j

Reaction score
It's no ones responsibility but your own. You'll get the update when it gets here.
Huh? My responsibility for what? If someone had said, "this is the only OS you'll ever see on this phone" that's one thing. That works fine for Apple. But, upgrades have been part of the program and if Verizon is blocking them (which has been said) then that's not what I signed up for.

And, yes, I will get the update when it gets here.

p1ngputts

Reaction score
Huh? My responsibility for what? If someone had said, "this is the only OS you'll ever see on this phone" that's one thing. That works fine for Apple. But, upgrades have been part of the program and if Verizon is blocking them (which has been said) then that's not what I signed up for.

And, yes, I will get the update when it gets here.

Nothing is being blocked, it's only being debugged.

Status
Not open for further replies.