Moto Droid Supposedly Getting Froyo on 7/13

Status
Not open for further replies.

korp

Reaction score
With that in mind, if you want some sweet FroYo goodness now you'll have to root. If you don't want to root you'll have to wait. Don't let anyone convince you to root if you don't want to, and if you're on the fence the two most important considerations are voiding your warranty/possibly bricking your phone and just how much help you'll get from this and any number of forums on both rooting and fixing a "bricked" phone.

You can search the forums for Froyo features/updates. I did read that there will be 5 home screens, and that the phone and two other buttons will be permanently anchored at the bottom the display so no matter what home screen you are on, the phone button is always present, beyond that, I am not sure.

As far as rooting goes, I just not going to do it. Technically savvy? yes, I am, I have built computers, repaired them, etc. etc. so it's not a fear of the unknown. My main concern is voiding of the warranty. If I had 500 bucks or more to get another Droid, or pick up a new Droid X if I bricked my current phone, then, I would do it. Since I don't, I am not taking the chance, regardless of how small some people claim it is. (I have read enough "Oh crap, I bricked my phone" threads to realize that bricking is a serious possibility)

If it's delayed by VZW until Aug 1, then so be it, I can wait. My Droid runs fine, so, I am not worried.

Most if not all of the cases of these supposed "bricked" phones are not even close to being bricked. Generally it's a matter of: 1. not following directions or 2. downloading a corrupt or incorrect file. Also, things like using an incorrect kernel for overclocking can keep your phone from booting up. These are all very easy issues to fix. People new to rooting their phone consider a minor mess up as being "bricked" but that's just not the case.

I do understand your worry with the money issue of having to buy a new phone if your phone did actually become unusable. If you do not feel comfortable I would never suggest rooting the phone. This is where these apps such as rom manager will make the process very simple, but take some of the learning curve out of the process and can actually hinder the user fixing issues on their own.

Honestly, I do not see Froyo being officially released until at least early August. If the X was being released with Froyo then things would come about faster but since X has version 2.1 this will cause delay. I do prefer having an official release and then having a rom built off that over a leak version .... but right now I am fairly happy with the leaked version and have to believe it's going to basically be the release version.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Quick signal strength lesson -- for every -3dB more you have (-79 versus -82, for example) you have doubled your strength. If we assume -99dB is the baseline, then -96 is twice as strong a signal, -93 is four times as strong, -90 is eight times as strong, etc.

I personally don't know what the - is all about, but I imagine it has something to do with radio wave propagation and electronic theory and all that other stuff.

wkwaggoner

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
droid turbo 2
....it will get here when it gets here....it's just that simple to understand....

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
We know its not coming today. We are now looking at 8/8. That's what we are hearing. We also know the roll out will not happen all in one day. So figure the week of the 8th.

Mojo

Reaction score
Verizon has not announced the update, only some people on the internet. So nothing is being delayed.

Lets not resort to flaming one another. Just a friendly reminder ;)

wkwaggoner

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
droid turbo 2
....please already, yes it is what you signed up for....they have given us more than any other wireless company ever has and probably ever will....this has been the first device I'v owned since the STARTAC days that keeps getting very cool updates....FOR FREE....give them a break or go to the others and see what they "do for you"....man, this forum has become a "entitlement demanded" "VZ" "MOTO" "GOOGLE" bashing forum....I LOVE BIG RED and with the DROID, I LOVE MOTOROLA once again too....and GOOGLE, they have made my life a lot better too....i find nothing to bi*ch about....we got more than we paid for....and I can make PHONE CALLS TOO....THANKS VZW & MOTO!!!!

littlerick

Reaction score
It's no ones responsibility but your own. You'll get the update when it gets here.
Huh? My responsibility for what? If someone had said, "this is the only OS you'll ever see on this phone" that's one thing. That works fine for Apple. But, upgrades have been part of the program and if Verizon is blocking them (which has been said) then that's not what I signed up for.

And, yes, I will get the update when it gets here.

i guess i didnt sign the same papers as you when i got my phone. i dont remember anything about being promised updates. verizon isnt blocking them they are testing for bugs. if its that big of a deal why not create your own rom from source? that way you can get updates immediately.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
How about this for a compromise -- if you want it now, go get it, just be willing to pay the price.

If you don't want to pay, you don't get to play. The jungle gym is still a little rough anyway. :)

SnoDrtRider

Reaction score
Why is it we have to go through this same Weenie Whiner stuff every time and update comes close?
Some of you sure you don't want to go stand in the corner and hold your breath until you get the update???

xandor

Reaction score
The only thing that's annoying me about this situation is how quiet Verizon is being about it. I would be happy if they just said, "We know you want it, we're working on some bad bugs, you'll get it when it's ready."

I'm just happy that I have LauncherPro to give me more home screens and is fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.