Moto DID make more than one version of the droid...heres my proof(i think)

Erron

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
So, I had a dead pixel on my droid I got on launch day. I called and they sent me a replacment. Thre has been tal of different keyboard being shipped with newer phones and such...but what about a completely different phne as wel? i can see several differences beteen the two phones. Here is a list of some:

Keyboard is certainly diff. Odd thing is my original has a more rounded keyboard than the replacment. The replacment is 100% flat. My orig was not at al.

The usb jack is different. The holder on the new one loks to be better built. could be because its a refurb.

The four buttons at the bottom are brighter with the phone off than the original. They are stark white, my launch day phone they were grey-ish. I would say because of a different paint or ink tint but the motorola symbol is the exact same color.

The bezel around the keyboard on the new one is slightly more glossy. Not from wear or my old one would have spots where it was stil more glossy.

With the battery out the back of the phone looks different. Under where the sd card goes on the old phon was a small black piece of plastic. The new one is white and extends all the way to the chip where the battery connects. The old one was open and I could see some internals in betweek where the sd card was and where the batteery connects.

The plastic base under the battery is larger and covers more of the area under the battery.

The bezel that says 'motorla engineering' is glossier on my original phone. Quite a bit glossier.

In between motorola and engineering there is a gap. On the inside of where that agap is there is a hole. inside of that is a small piece of silver loking metal. On the old phone is was very small. on the new on it's much larger and fills almost the whole space. I think it may be part of the battery cover bracket...read further.

The battery cover is much tighter ont he new one. And it isnt becuase it's new, they didn't send me a new battery cover. Just the phone and sd card.

They shipped a new sd card when they said they wouldnt. The original was a sandisk. The new one is no name. No, not just ageneric sandisk. Sandisk is made in china, new one in Japan.

Under the FCC ID is an IC code. On my ld one it is 1090-KC1, on the new one it is 1090-56KC1

My original has a run code of 40/09 and the new one is 47/09

Now, does anyone else have these run dates to compare the phone? If you have one with a 40 or 47 I would like to compare.

The 5MP autofocus on the new one is a deeper gold color as well.

I think thats all I have noticed so far. Thoughts, ideas?

I wil take pics later of all of the differences for proof.

jasonb

Reaction score
interesting. i wonder what the reasoning behind this is.

Rangerks

Reaction score
I can confirm difference in the bottom 4 home icons being a different color, the first droid I had was pure white, the newer one i have it more of a fadded led white.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Only proves maybe more than one manufacture plant....Not different versions....

928Droid

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.928gt.com
My Droid purchased directly from Verizon Online (arrived 11/25) and has the same "1090"code as your replacement

1090-56KC1 and is a 45/09 version.

Oh, also if it makes you feel better it has been 100% trouble free since Day 1 :). Never had a forced reboot or had to do a battery pull.

lemodular

Reaction score
it sounds like manufacturing variances; different parts from different places.

You made me curious so I looked, my run code 40/09 and my FCC code is 1090-56KC1. My USB is snug and so is my batt. cover. My screen is still tight as well. I do notice that the "menu" and "search" icons are brighter than the other two. Prob. led location and will be the same on all. Without two to compare side by side, I cant tell you the difference. Curious to see your photos side by side.

OP
E

Erron

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
I would buy the manufacturing plant difference but heres the thing with that.....Quality Control. They wouldn't simply allow different brackets for the usb and battery doors because it is a diff plant. Knowing one is inferior and letting it go is asking for trouble. Variations in color of plastic and paint and such are things you see from diff manufacturing plants..not a completely different hardware setup.

lemodular, down your usb plug have what looks like little pieces of metal bent around all edges to kind of hold it in place better? How large is the metal piece in the small hold in the back between moto and engineering?

Odd that yours is a 56kc1 and mine isnt, but still a 40/09.

Elysian

Reaction score
My 46/09 Droid sounds like everything you're describing, it all matches, except, like I said, my keys are slightly bulgy. Mine is also a 56KC1.

Last edited:

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
I would buy the manufacturing plant difference but heres the thing with that.....Quality Control. They wouldn't simply allow different brackets for the usb and battery doors because it is a diff plant. Knowing one is inferior and letting it go is asking for trouble. Variations in color of plastic and paint and such are things you see from diff manufacturing plants..not a completely different hardware setup.

lemodular, down your usb plug have what looks like little pieces of metal bent around all edges to kind of hold it in place better? How large is the metal piece in the small hold in the back between moto and engineering?

Different Plants in Different Countries.....QC can't be dead on for both....

lemodular

Reaction score

Like the previous poster said, different plant, different QC.

As for my USB receptacle, it looks neat and even; no little pieces of metal bent around the edges.

I have no metal piece in the square space between the word Motorola and engineering by the battery, just part of the plastic casing.

If you followed the Droid before the Nov 6 release, many review sites said that they got a "pre-production" model review and that the production model may be different. Maybe you got a pre-production, one of a kind prototype and is worth alot of money :)