More Moto X 3rd-Gen Features Leaked; Full Specs Recap

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
moto-x-2014-closeup.jpg

Another leak has been reported detailing a couple of new features for the 3rd generation Moto X. According to sources, the new Moto X might include a “front-facing flash for selfies” and a microSD slot. For those who missed our previous leaked intel on the device, here's a recap of everything we know so far with this update info:
  • 5.2-inch Quad HD display
  • Qualcomm Snapdragon 808 processor
  • 4GB of RAM
  • 32/64GB
  • 16-megapixel camera with optical image stabilization
  • 5-megapixel front-facing shooter - with “front-facing flash for selfies”
  • 3,280 mAh battery
  • Android 5.1.1 Lollipop
  • A microSD slot
If all of these rumors prove true, then the next Moto X is shaping up to be one impressive device for 2015. What do you guys think?

Here's our dedicated Moto X 2015 Edition section for further discussion: Moto X 2015 Edition Android Forum at DroidForums.net

Source: BGR

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I wonder how much thicker the device is with that battery. It's almost a whole 1000mAh more than the 2nd generation.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Snapdragon 808, huh? Well I guess it's not the leader of the pack for Motorola so I can't expect it to have the 810 or possibly a newer and more advanced processor from another manufacturer. Although it would have been nice to see it starting out with the 810.

popcenator

Droid X Rescue Squad
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Motorola's user experience has been pretty fantastic the last few iterations despite the lower processor on the first generation. I have no doubt the 808 will provide a pretty smooth experience. I'm actually excited to see the final product, I've been itching to get another Moto device.

Just hoping for a good camera, or decent at least. It looks like they took care of my other gripe, the battery.

on the move..

Last edited:

tech_head

Silver Member
Reaction score
Snapdragon 808, huh? Well I guess it's not the leader of the pack for Motorola so I can't expect it to have the 810 or possibly a newer and more advanced processor from another manufacturer. Although it would have been nice to see it starting out with the 810.

The 810 gives you two more slow processors.
All eight would not run at the same time for any length of time anyway. You would get throttled due to heat.
With a micro-SD slot and a huge battery, I would consider it.
Motorola lost me when they stopped including micro-SD.
Before that I had owned Motorola pretty exclusively.
Droid-X, Droid Bionic, Droid Razr, Droid Razr Maxx, Droid Razr HD; then I moved to a Galaxy S4, The LG G3.
I'm not willing to buy a device with no removable storage. So the LG G4 and this Motorola are on my road map.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Moto continues to knock it out of the park with their "X" series device. I too look forward to seeing how their camera stacks up against current heavy hitters like the G4 & S6. Shirley they will finally get out of this mediocre camera slump that's been their achilles heel for so long.

S5 tap'n

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
^^ Yes. Shirley they will. JK. I agree...the X series is pretty awesome. I have one 2013 and 2 2014 models in my home and they are awesome phones, so smooth. I am really looking forward to seeing this one with the bigger battery. The smaller battery is the only reason I don't own one now. I like the all day battery in the Maxx (or Turbo) for my use.

Reactions: cr6

Quicksilver7714

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
This would be a beast of a phone and would be more than enough to bring me back to Motorola.

Still riding the Samsung Train. Picked up a Note 4 from Psychotic.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
The 810 gives you two more slow processors.
All eight would not run at the same time for any length of time anyway. You would get throttled due to heat.

You are correct about the additional two Cortex-A57 cores (the BIG in BIG/little), and perhaps the additional cores may add heat but only if running full-on. In fact with the little cores, the BIG cores are mainly reserved for heavy number crunching and large volume data transfer and storage. This will mean that with 4 cores instead of two, when the demand for raw power is high the 4 in the 810 can run at a reduced capacity (lower clock speed), and still accomplish more than the 2 in the 808. In addition, the 810 supports;
  • DirectX 11.1
  • OpenCL 1.2
  • OpenGL ES 3.0
The 808 only supports;

• OpenGL ES 3.1
Also the 810 supports USB 3.0 whereas the 808 does not. Finally the 810 uses the more powerful 500mHz Adreno 430 GPU, producing a whopping 324 GigaFlops of graphic power and supports a much higher resolution of 2560 x 2048 pixels, where the 808 uses the Adreno 418 GPU running at 600mHZ, producing a 172.8 GigaFlops of graphic power and supports only 2560 x 1600 pixels.

With the Adreno 418 running at a 20% reduced clock speed and still hammering out nearly twice the power and 28% higher resolution it would likely run much cooler since it would only have to support 2560 x 1440 pixels.

Perhaps it's overkill but it just seems like for the nominal cost difference it could have offered tremendous overhead and make the usable life of the phone much longer.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Hmmm....so no Turbo refresh? Because it wouldn't make any sense to come out with another 5.2" phone with nearly identical specs, would it?

Last year there was rumor of a "mini" Turbo, and this year of a smaller X.

Nice to see them upping the specs on the X...although I wonder if the price won't creep up, too.

Amagine

Reaction score
If it comes out with an SDcard slot. I may make the move back to Moto. Mostly because their hardware seems to out last most others. Until then, my current road map has me rebuilding my S4 with a bigger battery and Lollipop. Riding that configuration until the end of the year and moving on to the G4. By that time development on the G4 should be plentiful and I should know if the thoughts of Moto returning to what made them great (big battery, stable hardware, expandable storage) is vaporware or not.