Moto X 3rd-Gen Details Possibly Leaked [Rumor]

SpeJ3435

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
64GB White Nexus 6
I shattered my Galaxy Nexus (4.7") a while back and had to use an old Droid 2 (4") for a while. For kicks, I used my Pre+ (3") for a while. I will admit, going back to a 3" was too much, but the 4" was nice. I really enjoyed the minimal impact it had on my EDC. I use my fiancee's Droid Razr M from time to time and really like it. She has used my GNex and my Maxx and hated the size because they didn't fit in her pants or clutch, and required two hands to comfortably operate. I have been trying to get her to move to a maxx so she doesn't have to plug her phone in all the time.

I see your point with selling, but they haven't even tried to offer a top tier 4" to 4.5" phone or one with a big battery. The Moto X (2013) had OK specs and sold well. Imagine if it had top tier specs to appease the tech junkies. People buy the newer phones regardless of size when they need a new phone. People aren't going to be able to stay with a small phone if they don't make them, once again skewing the numbers. The Note series does really well, but it is also a top tier phone with specs that are unique to it outside of the size.

I can see if your phone is your only media device how a bigger screen would be nice, however, most people at least have a computer to stream on.

I respect your opinion as well. This is a good conversation that are starting to become few and far between. Most debates on forums end in rage.

I have been interested to try the Xperia, but it isn't on Verizon. I don't like square look or Sony as a manufacturer, but I would still try it out.

popcenator

Droid X Rescue Squad
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I've had the Turbo since October...I do not like the size - it's too large for comfortable one-hand use without performing complex juggling and balancing acts. My Rezound was the perfect size, and with smaller bezels that display could be bumped close to 5".

I don't want to watch videos on a small screen, either....that's why I have a 55" tv, or a laptop and tablet. LMAO at whining about watching a video on a 5.2" screen vs. 4.7" screen - 20% bigger but still tiny.

There is definitely a market for smaller phones. Maybe it's only 20% of the market, but it's significant. But as mentioned, if you want a top-tier phone you've not had options under 5.1". The original Moto X, which didn't quite have top-tier specs, was 4.7" and sold quite well. Then Moto inexplicably bumped it to 5.2" and tried to sell it alongside the more powerful 5.2" Turbo.
Whining? I only said it's almost too small, but if that's your take on it, good for you. I agree that the Turbo seems large, my G2 has the same screen size but is smaller and definitely fits comfortably in hand. And obviously if I'm home I'm streaming on anything but my phone, but I'm out and about a lot too and enjoy watching short videos.

on the move..

popcenator

Droid X Rescue Squad
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Plus, the original Moto X didn't sell that well.

on the move..

popcenator

Droid X Rescue Squad
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Neither sold very well. The OG was also heavily discounted. Anyway, we should start a new thread if we're going continue this discussion. I feel a little guilty for cluttering this thread.

on the move..

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
I'm enjoying this thread on my comfy 5.96 ' Nexus 6.... Go big or go home.. Haha.. there are plenty of choices for everyone....every extra space of screen makes a difference IMO..

Tapped by NexusSix

popcenator

Droid X Rescue Squad
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I'm enjoying this thread on my comfy 5.96 ' Nexus 6.... Go big or go home.. Haha.. there are plenty of choices for everyone....every extra space of screen makes a difference IMO..

Tapped by NexusSix
Cage poker.

on the move..

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I would completely disagree, my opinion.

I believe the statistics for people moving to larger phones is flawed. All top tier phones have been 5"+ for the past 2 years resulting in people who want a top tier phone to buy a 5"+ phone. If the manufacturers would release a true mini version with the same specs, then I would believe the numbers, but they do not.

The majority of the people I interact with don't like how phones are growing in size. A lot of my friends still have a Droid Razr M, Droid Mini, Moto X (2013), iPhone 4s, iPhone 5, and refuse to upgrade to a newer phone because all new top tier phones are 5"+. The ones who have bigger phones do so for the bigger battery (Droid Razr Maxx, Droid Maxx) like me, or a removable battery (Galaxy S4). I do have some friends who have a Nexus 6 or a Note, but their lifestyle allows for that phone. Different lifestyles demand a different phone. In my lifestyle, I prefer a smaller phone with a big battery.

When you look at the perspective of a 4", 5", 6" phone for media consumption compared to a TV, a 4" phone at arms length is like watching TV on a 40" TV in a standard 15' living room. Most people hold their phones at half arms length so the display is more like a 55"+ TV. It comes down to perception and perspective of a phone screen. I have been reading books and watching movies on my phones since my Palm Pre+ (3") with little complaints. Once I moved to my Droid Bionic I had zero complaints about the movie being too small.

This ^ is exactly what I would have pointed out. I've done that exercize where I held out the phone at arms length and over my large screen TV to see where the size compares to my TV and to get an impression of what would be better in comparison, bigger or smaller screen. I've found that the Turbo is about the biggest screen that I could get comfortable with in my hands, and yet large enough to feel like a 46" screen at a reasonable distance.