Moto X 3rd-Gen Details Possibly Leaked [Rumor]

Discussion in 'Android News' started by dgstorm, May 6, 2015.

1. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,254
    [​IMG]

Take notice Motorola fans! Some new intel on the 3rd generation of the Moto X may have just been revealed. The source is completely uncorroborated, so it may be nothing. Still, you know how this goes... it's better to share it even if it's wrong then to ignore it and it turns out to be right.

Here's the scoop on the Moto X (2015):
    • 5.2-inch AMOLED display with QHD resolution
    • Qualcomm Snapdragon 808 processor
    • 4GB of RAM
    • 32/64GB of memory
    • 16-megapixel Clear Pixel camera
    • 5-megapixel front-facing camera
    • 3,280 mAh battery
    • Android 5.1.1 Lollipop
    If this spec-list is accurate, then it seems to be further evidence that smartphone OEMs have mostly abandoned the Snapdragon 810 from Qualcomm. It seems that even the potential for heat related issues is enough to ward off manufacturers (probably for good reason).

Current intel pegs the launch of the Moto X (2015 Edition) sometime between August and September. We will keep an eye out for more info until then.

We just created our Moto X 2015 Edition section for you folks right here: Moto X 2015 Edition Android Forum at DroidForums.net

Source: STJS

#1 dgstorm, May 6, 2015
    Last edited: May 6, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas Administrator
    Staff Member Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +8,396
    Current Phone Model:
    Pixel XL
    Twitter:
    jonny_ks
    Not a bad device. Seems like we've hit a bit of a wall as far as performance increases in the last few generations of phones. Sure, some OEMs take small steps. Ridiculously HD screens, more RAM. But it seems like we had bigger jumps back in the day.

3. jkaod

jkaod Gold Member

Ratings:
    +431
    If those spec hold true, it looks like a great phone. They made a huge jump in battery, from 2300 mAh to 3280. That's getting up where it should give you a very solid full day to maybe even two days on a charge. That's Droid Maxx and Turbo territory for battery power.

• Like Like x 2
  4. popcenator

popcenator Droid X Rescue Squad
    Rescue Squad Premium Member

Ratings:
    +909
    Here's to hoping those are accurate. The screen is a good size, though ideally I'd like a 5.5", but good sized battery and hopefully a better camera should make this hard to pass up (assuming all is correct).

on the move..

5. LoudRam

LoudRam Senior Member

Ratings:
    +146
    Current Phone Model:
    Moto X
    If those specs are true then this looks like the replacement for my gen 1 X when my contract is up. A 5.2” screen is a nice size without being too huge. I want a phone to carry around not a tablet. I get a solid day out of my X now but with that battery I might get 2 days if need be.

• Like Like x 1
  6. bucho602

bucho602 New Member

Ratings:
    +8
    Sign me up for the football leather. I wanted it so bad, but I want powerhouse specs to go with it.

7. kodiak799

kodiak799 Gold Member

Ratings:
    +934
    I keep hoping for a smaller phone in the 4.7-5" range. Who in the heck decided 5.2" is the phone size everyone wants that doesn't want a phablet? I mean, it's the same size as the Turbo - why have two models the same size?

4gigs of ram is nice. Assume it won't have an SD card, which is unfortunate.

Anyway, love call clarity and speakerphone on my Turbo. Moto was definitely the way to go. Although in my apartment I get 3G speeds down, and literally almost nothing up (fortunately I have wifi).

8. hammerhead13

hammerhead13 Gold Member

Ratings:
    +570
    Current Phone Model:
    Samsung Galaxy Note8
    This looks like an Upgraded Droid Turbo with a Smaller Battery!

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. dezymond

dezymond Tech Support Mod
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1,672
    Current Phone Model:
    Google Pixel
    Wonder how thick of a device it will be with that boost in battery life. I have yet to see or hold a Turbo, but I imagine it'd be around that thickness, probably slightly less.

10. SpeJ3435

SpeJ3435 Active Member

Ratings:
    +53
    Current Phone Model:
    64GB White Nexus 6
    I'm still hoping for a 4" to 4.5" phone with a maxx battery. The original moto x (2013) would have been great with a 3500mah battery. I agree with kodiak, who decided 5.2" was the the non-phablet size for a phone. Why don't they make a 4.5" moto x for non-phablet users and a 5.5" for phablet users, all with the same specs. This strategy makes more sense than Moto making the Ultra and the Maxx, same phone different battery. Make it the same phone with a different screen.

Phones don't fit in pockets anymore and if you want a top tier phone, you have to have a 5"+ phone.

I love the quote in the below video about iphones being made for hipsters, but they aren't compatible with hipster jeans. This is a true statement for most phones and most pants.

I don't want the phone to just fit in my pocket when I'm standing, but when I'm sitting, crouching, driving, biking, living...

11. popcenator

popcenator Droid X Rescue Squad
    Rescue Squad Premium Member

Ratings:
    +909
    Because more people want a large phone. I prefer watching videos and what not on something larger that 5". You're only going to worry about something not fitting in your pocket at 6+". And even still, people are doing just fine with the Nexus 6.

on the move..

12. SpeJ3435

SpeJ3435 Active Member

Ratings:
    +53
    Current Phone Model:
    64GB White Nexus 6
    I would completely disagree, my opinion.

I believe the statistics for people moving to larger phones is flawed. All top tier phones have been 5"+ for the past 2 years resulting in people who want a top tier phone to buy a 5"+ phone. If the manufacturers would release a true mini version with the same specs, then I would believe the numbers, but they do not.

The majority of the people I interact with don't like how phones are growing in size. A lot of my friends still have a Droid Razr M, Droid Mini, Moto X (2013), iPhone 4s, iPhone 5, and refuse to upgrade to a newer phone because all new top tier phones are 5"+. The ones who have bigger phones do so for the bigger battery (Droid Razr Maxx, Droid Maxx) like me, or a removable battery (Galaxy S4). I do have some friends who have a Nexus 6 or a Note, but their lifestyle allows for that phone. Different lifestyles demand a different phone. In my lifestyle, I prefer a smaller phone with a big battery.

When you look at the perspective of a 4", 5", 6" phone for media consumption compared to a TV, a 4" phone at arms length is like watching TV on a 40" TV in a standard 15' living room. Most people hold their phones at half arms length so the display is more like a 55"+ TV. It comes down to perception and perspective of a phone screen. I have been reading books and watching movies on my phones since my Palm Pre+ (3") with little complaints. Once I moved to my Droid Bionic I had zero complaints about the movie being too small.

• Agree Agree x 1