MOD Allows You To Reduce Thermal Throttling On The Nexus 6P

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
Well that makes way more sense, but I still don't see the point in risking damaging the device while attempting this mod. I guess maybe for someone who has a ton of phones lying around, maybe it's not as big of a risk. My phone is my daily driver & the only backup I have is a few years old since my wife takes my phones when I upgrade.

Sent from my Nexus 6P
have you ever heard of lapping a CPU? it's the process of removing a small amount of the top layer of a cpu down to copper and removing imperfections to create better thermal conductivity with your cooling unit

I've done it to an old CPU turned it into a copper mirror... idle temps went down about 10 C as well

here's a picture attached.

I'm honestly surprised people haven't been doing this stuff to phones sooner. to increase the thermal efficiency of your device makes 100% sense to me, will also increase it's total lifespan, assuming you don't break it while doing this.

Attachments

• intel_lapping_5.jpg
    intel_lapping_5.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 173

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Like I said, not with the risk IMO.

Playing with a PC that's not the only device I have like it that I enjoy using? Sure, but not my daily driver phone.

Sent from my Nexus 6P

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
have you ever heard of lapping a CPU? it's the process of removing a small amount of the top layer of a cpu down to copper and removing imperfections to create better thermal conductivity with your cooling unit

I've done it to an old CPU turned it into a copper mirror... idle temps went down about 10 C as well

here's a picture attached.

I'm honestly surprised people haven't been doing this stuff to phones sooner. to increase the thermal efficiency of your device makes 100% sense to me, will also increase it's total lifespan, assuming you don't break it while doing this.
You're talking apples and oranges. A CPU is easy to get to in a PC, not in a phone that is sealed.

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
You're talking apples and oranges. A CPU is easy to get to in a PC, not in a phone that is sealed.
I'm not talking apples to oranges I'm saying I'm surprised people or the manufacturers haven't done something like this yet

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk