MOD Allows You To Reduce Thermal Throttling On The Nexus 6P

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
gorgtech-nexus-6p-thew0uqh.jpg

The Nexus 6P is a great device, but like many other devices it has a mechanism built in to slow it down slightly if it starts to overheat. This can be fixed! "Gorgtech" has posted a full guide showing how to disassemble the Nexus 6P, and mod the device for optimal cooling.

This guide is pretty lengthy and is not for the faint of heart. You should have some experience with projects like this. If this will be the first time doing something like this be sure to follow directions. This WILL void your warranty. You will be leaving some traces that you were inside of the device so if something happens and you need to make a warranty claim you will be up a creek. Head to the link below for the full guide.

via XDA

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Lol. Look at all that thermal paste!! That will cause more issues than just leaving it alone.

And what thermal throttling? I have never seen this.

pwrdbykyank

Reaction score
That's a thermal pad, won't leak but still should be cut a bit smaller so it doesn't overlap

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
So...The device has a mechanism in it to prevent it from overheating, causing possible permanent and irreversible damage? I've not noticed any kind of slow down when I'm really using my phone like crazy, but if I did, I sure wouldn't kill the failsafe that would keep it from becoming completely useless due to overheating.

Not to mention the iFixit score that this phone got. There's no way I'm trying to open my 6P for anything, let alone for something as dumb as this, IMO.

Ophus

Reaction score
This MOD increases the ability of the SOC to cool. It makes the cooling more efficient. Allowing the phone to run wide open for a longer period, before throttling occurs. It does not defeat any of the fail safe mechanisms. I don't know how effective it was.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
This MOD increases the ability of the SOC to cool. It makes the cooling more efficient. Allowing the phone to run wide open for a longer period, before throttling occurs. It does not defeat any of the fail safe mechanisms. I don't know how effective it was.
Well that makes way more sense, but I still don't see the point in risking damaging the device while attempting this mod. I guess maybe for someone who has a ton of phones lying around, maybe it's not as big of a risk. My phone is my daily driver & the only backup I have is a few years old since my wife takes my phones when I upgrade.

Sent from my Nexus 6P

Ophus

Reaction score
Well that makes way more sense, but I still don't see the point in risking damaging the device while attempting this mod. I guess maybe for someone who has a ton of phones lying around, maybe it's not as big of a risk. My phone is my daily driver & the only backup I have is a few years old since my wife takes my phones when I upgrade.

Sent from my Nexus 6P

I agree.

Looking at how it was done, you could easily destroy your phone. Return not worth the risk, I would say.

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
As I was saying before, snapdragon 810 should have never been released to public. I don't think there is a single device with it that isn't prone to either throttling or overheating. What a blunder that was. Good thing I skipped 2015 completely as most devices have this defective chip in it.

Reactions: cr6

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
As I was saying before, snapdragon 810 should have never been released to public. I don't think there is a single device with it that isn't prone to either throttling or overheating. What a blunder that was. Good thing I skipped 2015 completely as most devices have this defective chip in it.
While you make a good point, I don't feel like my 6P suffers at all. I've recorded & edited videos for upload to YouTube, jumped in & out of intensive games & videos, & used all of the apps I always use with no slow down, stutter, or feeling like the phone gets ridiculously hot.

Sent from my Nexus 6P

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia

Sent from my Nexus 6P
WE don't want you taking the risk either! You were not a happy camper when you had to send your baby in to have the camera glass repaired and they kept it for 3 weeks! That was painful for ALL of us. Please don't put us through that again Mr Kansas! Bwahahaha!

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
WE don't want you taking the risk either! You were not a happy camper when you had to send your baby in to have the camera glass repaired and they kept it for 3 weeks! That was painful for ALL of us. Please don't put us through that again Mr Kansas! Bwahahaha!
Hahahaha! I was thinking of all of the innocent bystanders on this forum as I typed that.

Sent from my Nexus 6P

Reactions: cr6

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Haha!
Just yankin your chain bud. In the end it was interesting to see first hand, the customer service of a manufacturer most folks in the US have never dealt with. In the end, it was quite educational, with a little bit of frustration thrown into the mix. (Purely for dramatic effect I'm sure) Most of us know how painful it is being without our "new baby"....usually not for that length of time of course, but we understood the frustration!