Nexus 6P Battery Life Impressions

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

I have had the Nexus 6P now for a few days and so far I am loving it. The aluminum back coupled with the Gorilla Glass 4 really give this device a premium feel. The fingerprint scanner on the back is second to none. You can't get any better software for a device than the latest version of Stock Android! One big question that everyone keeps asking me is, "What is the battery life like"?

As a disclaimer I have not yet used this as a daily device. In fact I have been using this phone with wifi only. That being said the optimizations in Android 6.0 make the battery life much better than any other Nexus device I have ever used.

First I'd like to discuss the all new Doze feature in Android 6.0. This feature allows your phone to go into a deep sleep only allowing important notifications to come through. I left my phone off the charger after a full charge for 2 and a half days. At the end of 2 and a half days I had 49% battery left.

Next lets talk about Screen on time. With my 49% I was able to actively use the phone for another 3.5 hours. After which the phone had 15% battery life. I know battery life will be different once I add LTE to the mix, but even so these are pretty impressive results.

Also I guess it should be mentioned that the Nexus 6P also supports rapid charging so even if you somehow manage to deplete your battery you can still get hours out of your device with just a few minutes of charging!

cynkrzy

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
I too don't have a sim yet and on WiFi the battery life has been impressive for sure. Wonder how all the switching between radios is gonna affect it when I get my Project Fi sim in it.

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
Assuming that the 6P is like other rapid charging devices, even without rapid mode activated the charging times will be sexy. Looking forward to seeing optimization from MM on more Android devices.

Still have to say that phone is damn big. I just don't see myself carrying anything like that if it doesn't have stylus functionality like my Note. One-handed operation is too much of a stretch for me to put up with the awkwardness unnecessarily.

Seems to be a quality device though, so let's hope it sets the new standard for Nexus flagships and helps to keep the Android market competitive.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
My battery life has been great. Look at this flat while I was sleeping.

d2c4c730d6f055ea47e523e9ea54314d.jpg

OP
DroidModderX

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Assuming that the 6P is like other rapid charging devices, even without rapid mode activated the charging times will be sexy. Looking forward to seeing optimization from MM on more Android devices.

Still have to say that phone is damn big. I just don't see myself carrying anything like that if it doesn't have stylus functionality like my Note. One-handed operation is too much of a stretch for me to put up with the awkwardness unnecessarily.

Seems to be a quality device though, so let's hope it sets the new standard for Nexus flagships and helps to keep the Android market competitive.

I'm so used to note phones that smaller screens bug me at this point.

OP
DroidModderX

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
My battery life has been great. Look at this flat while I was sleeping.

d2c4c730d6f055ea47e523e9ea54314d.jpg

And you are using lte so it doesn't seem to make much of a difference

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
I don't use WiFi anymore. Wonder if it will be better.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Anyone know a gsam alternative for nonroot?

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
Great to see you guys are getting good battery life out of your 6P. About 3 more weeks to go until I get mine.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Great to see you guys are getting good battery life out of your 6P. About 3 more weeks to go until I get mine.
God knows when I'll get mine now. 10 hours in Ohio yesterday to return overnight to Illinois & sit 12 hours. Wonder why they changed the status back from "scheduled for early delivery".

Amateurs.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Good to know GSAM works. I like the stats they provide better than the phone. I'll run it for a week or so and then delete it.

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
God knows when I'll get mine now. 10 hours in Ohio yesterday to return overnight to Illinois & sit 12 hours. Wonder why they changed the status back from "scheduled for early delivery".

Amateurs.
Spoke too soon. Just got email saying mine shipped from Project Fi via FedEx overnight! Will be delivered tomorrow! WOOOHOOO! :D:D:D