1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

MKV support on Droid.

Discussion in 'Android Audio and Video' started by cypherXR, Dec 15, 2009.

1. cypherXR

cypherXR New Member

First of all let me just state that I got a Moto Droid this past weekend and I absolutely love it. Now onto the question at hand. I'm a big anime fan and most of the newer releases are in the MKV format, as well as some of the HD movies I watch. Has anyone heard anything about MKV being supported on Droid via an app or other means?
  2. Takami826

Takami826 New Member

I haven't tested it yet but in my perusal of the apps market I found VLC for android... I know VLC works great on my PC for MKV... that's one of the apps to try out on my list when I have spare time. (I'm an anime fan, too LOL)
  3. cypherXR

cypherXR New Member

Can you tell me the name of the app and I'll give it a go. Thanks.
  4. MrCapcom

MrCapcom New Member

I just encoded Soul Eater (mkv) to mp4 using dvd catalyst will report on how well it does as far as keeping subs and working on our droid. So far I only encoded Avi's to my droid and they work great
  5. mach330

mach330 New Member

i'm sure there's a better way. i use mkvmerge to convert mkv to mka files then use quicktime to convert mka files to mp4 format.
  6. ntrddragn

ntrddragn New Member

dvd catalyst...takes mkv convert to mp4 format (droid option). i've converted many anime mkv files already. the subs and video looks great. i just happen to convert Bleach - Fade to Black...the other day and it superb :icon_ banana:
  7. justbob

justbob New Member

Handbrake does a good job as well.
  8. MrCapcom

MrCapcom New Member

Yea I tested it with Soul Eater 1-30 works great for some reason though episode 1 and 5 wouldn't work it kept crashing I forget the error but then would go finish the rest
  9. MrCapcom

MrCapcom New Member

i just noticed the audio is out of sync :-( is there anyway to fix this?
  10. Shooshi

Shooshi New Member

DVD Catalyst works great with .mkv anime files. I just converted Hajime No Ippo New Challenger series onto my droid. They were all 720p files too so the quality was absolutely stunning. After all the conversion the entire series was about ~6-7gbs :D.

@MrCapcom: Which video player are you using? I've noticed small audio out of sync problems when watching some of my videos. From my experience, I've had best results with Act 1 player and Meridian. The default media player was laggy and the audio was out of sync for me.
  11. MrCapcom

MrCapcom New Member

Yea I'm using the regular gallery or ill use astro to browse the files and watch the video form there. I'll try Act 1 and Meridian thanks! DVD Catalyst actually said try running the files at a smaller frame rate. Ill try all of these out once I get to work and get back to you guys.
  12. dvdcatalyst

dvdcatalyst Guest

I suggested to give it a shot. While DVDCat automatically picks either the selected framerate or the framerate of the video itself (whatever is lower) some MKV's do not report the framerate properly. By picking 23 or 24, it might solve the issue.

The first thing I always suggest when there are sync issues is to try the file on your computer in Quicktime. VLC will work too, but I think Quicktime is safer. If you are on Win7, do not use Windows Media Player for testing sync issues in MP4 files, because it has sync issues of its own. I spend a considerable amount of time troubleshooting a sync issue with someone, and after 2 weeks, we found out that there was nothing wrong when played in Quicktime.

If the file plays fine on the computer, its most likely a quality setting that is causing the problem on the device. I know a lot of people are using the HQ2 profile, which works great, however, it's using the maximum settings the Droid can actually handle,
  13. MrCapcom

MrCapcom New Member

Anyway we could get a profile with HQ2 but lower frames? Like a Droid HQ2 MKV?

EDIT
    Ok so I played on Act 1 and i played on my computer thorugh Act 1 Player and its doing the same thing so i guess ill have to re encode and try changing the frames hope it works >_<
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2010
  14. Flomaster

Flomaster Premium Member Premium Member

you can customize any of the profiles to your liking

so pick HQ2 then change the frame rate save that profile as new profile = Bingo Bango Easy Peaszy

-=Jason=-
  15. MrCapcom

MrCapcom New Member

Just changed the frame rate and its still not syncing the audio correctly :-( DVDCatalyst do you have gtalk or msn or something so we can chat there?
  16. Big Cam

Big Cam New Member

bingo, what I was going to say.
  17. MrCapcom

MrCapcom New Member

even with changing to the first droid preset and then making it 24 frames its still not syncing the audio ill try out mkvmerge.
  18. dvdcatalyst

dvdcatalyst Guest

Unfortunately not all MKV's are created equal.

I received the names of your files, and will work with them.
  19. MrCapcom

MrCapcom New Member

cool thanks I did download a mp4 version of the series hopefully it will work on my droid if not it will work in dvd catalyst
  20. hulmevv

hulmevv New Member

This thread seems to have really gone off track. The orignal question was: "Has anyone heard anything about MKV being supported on Droid via an [COLOR=#812528 !important][FONT=inherit !important][COLOR=#812528 !important][FONT=inherit !important]app[/FONT][/FONT][/COLOR][/COLOR] or other means?" So the goal of the individuals original posting was to actually play the .mkv natively on his/her device, rather than jump through the bad and time consuming process of recomposing, compressed video content.

In answer to the original question:
    Yes, there are several video players for Android which play .MKVs. A simple choice, which also utilizes hardware decoding when the device is capable. (As well as Dual Core support, for software decoding.) is the official DiVX player, called "MX Video Player". Just do a search for it in the official Android Market. ...enjoy
Search tags for this page
allshare .mkv support for android
android 4.3 mkv support

android mkv

android mkv player

android mkv support

does android support mkv
is .mkv supported on droid
matroska android reddi
mkv android
mkv convert to droid
mkv player app for droid