Movies on the Droid X

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid X' started by cincycats51, Jul 16, 2010.

1. cincycats51

cincycats51 New Member

I am a big movie guy, and I have alot of .mkv file bluerays on my computer...

Now to get them to any storage device, I have to format the flash drive to exFat in order for the device to "fit" on the drive...

I have something like 14.7 GB free on my Droid, and I try to put the .mkv file onto my phone, but I get the same error as if I didnt format my flash drive, which is "this file is too big for the destination" when it clearly is not.

Any ideas?
  2. KevinWP

KevinWP New Member

IIRC SDHC (With Fat32) has a file size limitation of 4gb. If your Blueray mkv files are larger than this... that is your problem.

Linux supports SDXC (with exFat) which has a much larger file size limitation, and an Android driver was licensed last month.

There are no SDXC MicroSD cards yet. I have seen no statements assuring Droid/DX usability of this newer format, even though it is electrically the same.

If :icon_ banana:the drivers can be added, and if :icon_ banana:the phone can read it, and if :icon_ banana:they make a microSD SDXC card of 64GB (or larger) then you can probably copy those files larger than 4gb over.

(And IF :icon_ banana: they ever sell for less than $100.00 I'll buy one too)

The bad news is that out of the box... My DX does not play Mkv files (or at least the one 30 second test file I made with Handbrake).

You might need additional software on the DX or you may need to convert the mkv files to mp4.

I can report that the phone plays back mp4's made by Handbrake (from a variety of sources) very well in the gallery app. I don't have an HD TV to test the HDMI out... but I expect that will work just fine as well since it is playing in the native gallery app.
Search tags for this page
droid bionic record video larger than 4gb

droid x exfat