Mike

Kaul

Reaction score
Time for an upgrade over my old blackberry 8330.
So far I've had it a week and I really like it. Only issue is my friends and I like to email each other links, and my Droid X can only open links that have www in the front, which a lot of our linking does not have. Is there a way around this, or do I have to suffer and either ask for links with www or wait til I can get to my computer?
Thanks.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. You can long press on the link while st the site, save url and paste link in your email. Long press in the email, select paste.

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Welcome! Looks like our resident expert already provided you with a solution. Check out the FAQ and entire X section in the forum (click tab above).

Mike

TwerpPoet

Reaction score
In the email, double tap on the link. Drag the highlight until the whole link is highlighted. Long press the highlight and choose copy. Open your browser, long press on the URL field and choose paste. Awkward as heck, but it works.

OP
K

Kaul

Reaction score
I've tried long holds, short holds, dragging all around, double tapping and even reply/forward to copy/paste. Nothing seems to work. It seems like half the time the link is clickable and the other half not, regardless of whether it has www in it or not. Usually I have to grab a pen and paper, jot it down and type it in manualy, which is a REAL pain.

TwerpPoet

Reaction score
I could have swore I tested this before I said anything, but you are right. It's almost impossible to copy from a received email, at least in GMail and K9, which were the two I tested.

Two very poor options that worked for me most of the time.

Forward the email using another app. I used Evernote. You can edit the note and copy paste to your heart's content there. Still a pain.

While reading the email hit the menu key, chose More, and Select Text. It takes you back to the email where you will have one chance to grab the text you want by dragging your finger across it. This is a very crude and imprecise way of grabbing the text.

Then you just open up your favorite note taking program, long press on the text field, and chose Paste From Clipboard. You can select and copy text more accurately from there.

I know, terrible solutions. I don't have anything better to offer.

I'm rather disappointed by this. I hadn't realized that Android did not have universal copy&paste, at least for the Google apps. With all the outrage and fuss people made when the iPhone didn't have it I'd just assumed it was a lesson already learned for any up and coming OS.