Microsoft Announces the Impending Death of Internet Explorer

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Internet-Explorer-dead-Spartan.jpg

This isn't exactly Android news, but it is still interesting and relevant to many of you.

Internet Explorer (IE) is the most used web browser on the planet, but that isn't because it is popular. It's only because it comes pre-installed on any Windows based machine sold. Most savvy users will quickly switch to an alternative browser like Firefox or Chrome. There is a reason for this: IE has grown to become bloated, slow and lacks many of the features and functions of the other options in the market.

It looks like even Microsoft has realized this as they just announced their plans to dump IE in favor of their new Project Spartan browser which they are building into Windows 10. To be clear, Internet Explorer will still come included in Windows 10, but that will simply be for legacy users. Microsoft will no longer support it and plans to move forward to replace it completely with Project Spartan.

This shows that Microsoft has a tremendous amount of faith in their new Project Spartan browser, and bodes well for the future. The only detail left out is what the final retail name of the browser will be. Here's a quote with more of the details from Microsoft marketing boss Chris Capossela while speaking at Microsoft Convergence yesterday,

“We’re now researching what the new brand, or the new name, for our browser should be in Windows 10. We’ll continue to have Internet Explorer, but we’ll also have a new browser called Project Spartan, which is codenamed Project Spartan. We have to name the thing.”

Might we suggest keeping it simple? How about sticking with "Spartan"?

Source: TheVerge

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
About time. After 6 it was horrible.

Vepaot

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G5 (LS992)
Honestly they could probably just keep the same programming they use for Internet Explorer but change its name and icon, and it would instantly be more popular. The name just comes with a bad stigma all around from years of being garbage. From what I heard, IE got pretty good when they introduced 9, but like everyone else...I could just never bring myself to give it a chance.

grenefroggie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Nexus 5
Pretty sure this means that Michigan State will beat Kentucky to win the NCAA tournament!

Good grief I hope not. I live right in the center of BBN. I don't think i can handle that many PO'd Kentuckians driving around full of angst and rage.

But I am pretty sure they are going all the way.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I used to love firefox but got tired of having issues here and there because something had to be removed or updated. Chrome has become the go to browser for me. Chrome has taken over. Almost hard to believe that at one time Chrome was not the go to browser for both android and home computers. Before Chrome was firefox for home pc and dolphin browser/stock android for Droid.

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I gave Firefox a shot on my phone, and used it exclusively, but have been having issues. Moved back to Chrome, and so far so good.
On PC, Firefox was it. But when they started the Update War I got tired of it. Chrome is it.

Oh, and as far as Spartan goes, if it doesn't support 3rd party extensions, plugins, etc, then it will not be popular with power users.

grenefroggie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Nexus 5
Chrome is a huge memory hog on my PC. I have 12GB of RAM in my work PC, and with all the tabs I keep open, it can easily gobble up 7-8GB of RAM. I moved back to FF for now.

It used to be Chrome was the slimmest browser out there for the PC.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Chrome is a huge memory hog on my PC. I have 12GB of RAM in my work PC, and with all the tabs I keep open, it can easily gobble up 7-8GB of RAM. I moved back to FF for now.

It used to be Chrome was the slimmest browser out there for the PC.
I have a mac and Safari is not even an option in my opinion. I gave it a try and it just seems sluggish compare to Chrome, but that is my observation. Others may have a different experience.

grenefroggie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Nexus 5
Understood. I use FF on my MacBook Air as well. I think Google took something wonderful and killed it. Now they want it running in the background all the time so you can get notifications etc. They should have left a good thing alone.

IIGood

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S6
IE is the best browser for downloading other browsers.

:D

alicia78

Banned
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
SamSung S5
I really loved IE, but I don't understand why Microsoft is going to stop it..!

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I guess me not being computer savvy enough to know a lot all I can say is FF graphics always looked horrible,I don't like having to do a Google search to find the proper plug in for this or that and it just seemed a mess to me. I tried Chrome several times and it would crash,freeze, slow down to a crawl and was just basically useless for what my family uses our desktop for. IE has never been flashy or exciting but it has always been dependable and consistent for me. If I need a plug, ActiveX or other, in it tells me and tells me where to get it, even takes me there with a single click. That's really all I've ever wanted was stability and ease of use.

alicia78

Banned
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
SamSung S5
Well you are right , streaming works good on chrome, no need to update...Adobe...!