Microphone/Speaker Problem

hacku

Reaction score
So I've now had this problem twice this week, but never had this issue before.

Last Saturday I was headed to a friends house for a party. I placed my phone in the card dock and accessed the Navigation app. Drove to his house and everything worked fine. As soon as I got to his house, I pulled my phone off the card dock and noticed that it was running really laggy which it has never done before. I paid it no mind and just did a soft reboot (Power button/reboot). Later on that night I tried calling a friend, and noticed that my phone would show it was connected but I couldn't hear anything even my voice when you speak into the mic. After doing a soft reboot again and making a couple of test phone calls, I still had the same issue. This time I did a hard reboot (removed the battery) and that seemed to fix the problem.

Here I am a week later exactly. I've been using my phone this morning sending texts, checking Facebook and doing some light browsing. I placed a phone call and same thing. Shows connected but can't hear anything at all. Soft rebooted the phone and experiencing the same problem. Pulled the battery and now it's working fine again.

I find this problem very odd since I've NEVER experienced anything like this. The first time it happened last week I figured it must have been some type of problem with an app or something since the phone was acting laggy, but today my phone has been running just fine and had the same issue with phone calls.

Has anyone else encountered this type of problem before?

EDIT:

Maybe I should have posted this in the ROM forum since I'm not running a stock DX...lol

Last edited:
OP
hacku

hacku

Reaction score
So I've now had this problem twice this week, but never had this issue before.

Last Saturday I was headed to a friends house for a party. I placed my phone in the card dock and accessed the Navigation app. Drove to his house and everything worked fine. As soon as I got to his house, I pulled my phone off the card dock and noticed that it was running really laggy which it has never done before. I paid it no mind and just did a soft reboot (Power button/reboot). Later on that night I tried calling a friend, and noticed that my phone would show it was connected but I couldn't hear anything even my voice when you speak into the mic. After doing a soft reboot again and making a couple of test phone calls, I still had the same issue. This time I did a hard reboot (removed the battery) and that seemed to fix the problem.

Here I am a week later exactly. I've been using my phone this morning sending texts, checking Facebook and doing some light browsing. I placed a phone call and same thing. Shows connected but can't hear anything at all. Soft rebooted the phone and experiencing the same problem. Pulled the battery and now it's working fine again.

I find this problem very odd since I've NEVER experienced anything like this. The first time it happened last week I figured it must have been some type of problem with an app or something since the phone was acting laggy, but today my phone has been running just fine and had the same issue with phone calls.

Has anyone else encountered this type of problem before?

Running RubiX Focused 1.9.5
LV Kernel @ 1Ghz

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Sounds like it will end up as a warranty issue, but you should try a factory hard reset first. Backup all you apps to sdcard first via Titanium or such.

1. [FONT=&quot]Turn off phone[/FONT]
  2. [FONT=&quot]Press and hold Power key + Home hard key to power on the phone and bring up a triangle with an exclamation point inside next to a green Android graphic.[/FONT]
  3. [FONT=&quot]Press Search hard key to show the Android recovery menu.[/FONT]
  4. [FONT=&quot]Tap to select "wipe data/factory reset" (you can also use Volume buttons to scroll up or down in this menu)[/FONT]
  5. [FONT=&quot]Press Menu hard key under "Ok" screen prompt (camera button can also be used to confirm selection)[/FONT]

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Oh, I forgot to suggest that you reload the rom, with no wipes, prior to the factory hard reset. This should be your first step.

OP
hacku

hacku

Reaction score
Strange, I've been running 1.9.5 since it came out and I've never had this issue until now. I'm leaning more towards it being a software glitch rather than a hardware glitch.

I'll probably reload the ROM and see if it continues to do it.

schwoates

Reaction score
Hey I just got my droid 2 days ago (from a friend who got a different phone) and my mic does not work when I'm NOT using speakerphone. He said he never had any issues with the phone ever. How am I to reinstall the rom before doing a hard reset? and if I do a hard reset, when I enter my gmail account my contacts should just sync up automatically correct?

ldopa

Silver Member
Reaction score
You can also try checking the vocorder setting. Call ##7764726 and enter 000000 as the code when prompted then scroll to vocorder (4th one down)

Sent from my Liberated DROID2

paulp04

Reaction score
The problem is actually most likely a headphone jack problem. Plug headphones in and see if you have sound that way. Clean the port and try a hard reset. Fixes it every time for me. The Jack has a software mute switch that can be toggled by high resistance connection between the 4 contacts in the jack(ie lint). It's not a normal sound jack. Unix controls all of this with a resistance threshold

Sent via DROID X 2.2.1 rooted running Rubix Focused 1.9.7 OC 1.22ghz on Verizon Wireless

Last edited:

schwoates

Reaction score
It didn't work!

Alright so I set my vocoder to EVRC-B and that didn't change anything. I then tried messing with the headphone jack to see if I still had sound, which I did, and I then did a hard reset. People still cannot hear me when either person calls the other unless I'm using speakerphone. I don't understand what else I can do to fix this. Any suggestions?

paulp04

Reaction score
if at first you don't succeed, try try again

did you clean the jack?? when mine messes up I clean it with a Q-tip

schwoates

Reaction score
Hey guys sorry it's taken me so long to respond. I just pulled a ball of lint out of the bottom of the headphone jack and then did a hard reset. Nothing changed...I just called my roommates phone and he couldn't hear anything unless I was using the speakerphone. I don't understand what's going on with this so I'm going to go to the Verizon store to see what they say. Hopefully I can talk to one of their tech people and not a salesman.

gsimmons1960

Reaction score
I am having the same problem with my thunderbolt. Did any of you ever find a resolution to the microphone going in and out of service while on a call all by itself???