Memory Disappearing

magikmarkur

Reaction score
I have the advanced app killer app. When I start the phone I have well about 300 megs free. As the day progresses I get down to nearly 70. Any idea on why and how to stop it? I kill the apps all day, but it doesn't seem to help. Memory leak?

Garandhero

Reaction score
Try a restart? It's like any computer, as the day goes on memory gets used up...even my Sager which starts at like 3 gigs free loses some during the natural progression the day... I am not sure if its acceptable on a phone or normal, but I think a quick on off would fix it?

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
I have the advanced app killer app. When I start the phone I have well about 300 megs free. As the day progresses I get down to nearly 70. Any idea on why and how to stop it? I kill the apps all day, but it doesn't seem to help. Memory leak?

I've been in a thread about this before and was told to just ignore it. The OS will take care of its memory issues. I removed the task killer I had and just let it go and haven't seen any issues. RAM is there to be used, not to keep empty.

barski

Reaction score
i have noticed mine doing the same thing as the day goes on but never down to 70 usually around 100. After a restart i have around 300 free. Even when my memory is down i never seem to have performance problem. I know that windows 7 will hold memory, make it look like its in use, for quick starting applications, possibly the same thing here?

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
The android operating system is nothing like Windows/Palm/RIM/Etc. Android loads apps in memory so they will be immediately available when you need them. Let me stress, these apps are not "running" in the sense that programs run when started in Windows. They are simply sitting in memory. You don't have to worry about them, as they do no harm just staying in memory until needed. If android needs additional memory, it will remove whatever needs to be removed in order to have the amount of memory it requires. Forget about watching how much free memory you have because it changes as the operating systems needs change. Delete any task killer the idiot Verizon reps convinced you to install, or that they installed. Killed apps will, in most cases, be put right back in memory by android.

OP
magikmarkur

magikmarkur

Reaction score
So killing the apps is pointless and even if memory is super low I won't see a difference in the performance?

Rusman1

Reaction score
Resurrecting an old thread.

I have a droid x and am having performance problems because of what I think is poor mem management or a memory leak. I have seen it get as low as 32mb free. When it gets low, things lock up or are very slow to respond. For instance, just scrolling right or left through the home screens it will pause or be very jittery, not smooth like it is supposed to be. I also see problems with starting apps, they lock up or pause for a long time, sometimes I have to manually kill the app and try it again.

My son installs a bunch of games but we clean it up and go in and force close games that stay running and this seems to help, but the memory issues return at some point.

If I boot the phone, it will start up with about 100mb ram free, but eventually it runs out and slows down. :icon_evil::icon_evil:

I appreciate any help anyone has.

Please note this is not about storing apps on the phone, it is about ram.

t1.8matt

Reaction score
Yesterday after installing Modern Combat 3, I was looking at the amount of internal memory left and actually watched it keep dropping all the way to zero. I wasn't installing any programs at that time. I've never seen this happen before. I formatted the internal memory, problem solved. I was also having a problem with wifi turning itself on every once in a while. After formatting the memory and rebooting, the problem went away. I'm running Liberty with all the Zepplin scripts, speedy v7, and mash up. What could have caused this to happen?