Memory Leak Q?

DroidHoff

Reaction score
Is this normal or does this constitute a leak on 5.0.6.2? When I first installed ver5.0.6.2 I would Start out with right around 200 MB of memory free. Needless to say I was shocked. But after a couple days running the rom I noticed that my memory was dropping almost hourly. It has fallen to about 140 MB and has been holding steady now for about two weeks. So my question is this, is this normal meaning does the rom have a default minimum free memory trigger? Or is it leaking memory either through the rom or through some newly added app? Although the only app I have downloaded recently is skyfire. Thanks in advance!

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Darkseider

Reaction score
It's not a memory leak it is how Linux/Android works. The OS will constantly try to fill up whatever memory it can, while still keeping the system usable, with cached info to improve response and performance. If any of that information that is in cache is needed for a foreground application it is immediately dumped and re-assigned to the task at hand. Unless you are experiencing drastic slowdowns then there is no reason to worry at all. Here is quick way to see whats going on

Finally, along the bottom of the screen are some obscure numbers. If you know how to interpret them, this gives you a lot of information on the memory status of your device:

* Avail: 38MB+114MB in 25 says that the device has 38MB of completely free (or likely used for unrequired caches) memory, and has another 114MB of available memory in 25 background processes it can kill at any time.
• Other: 32MB in 3 says that the device has 32MB of unavailable memory in 3 unkillable processes (that is, processes that are currently considered to be foreground and must be kept running)

Hope this helps!