Many 4G Phones will be FREE on Monday at Amazon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cozmosis

Reaction score
I don't wanna stay up until 3am waiting for this, lol. I do want my Revo, though.

I miss Android :(

Murker

Reaction score
N00b question's here I guess:

What if the phone has issues? Do you have to send it back to AmazonWireless or can you just go to a VZW store?

And can I carry over my company discount or do I have to give that up if I order through Amazon?

To me, it seems like I can get a phone, renew my contract, keep it active and paid for at least 6 months, then I'm in the clear?

My work discount is what worries me most though.

Cozmosis

Reaction score
My only question for the Amazon stuff is this:

I currently have a line with ATT that I want to port my number from, but I'm only 3 weeks away from my contract ending, so I don't want an ETF. I planned to get in on this because its free. Can I start a new line with a new number, then port my old number in without problems from Amazon?

The way it reads, I should, I just don't want some line snafu going on later and getting slapped with a bill.

jimmyco2008

Reaction score
To the first person's inquiry, in 6 months and a day (181 days) you will be free from Amazon's cancellation fee ($250). You still have a year and a half on your Verizon contract though, so if you want to cancel after 6 months, you still have to pay Verizon's ETF ($350 minus $10/month of contract fulfillment).

To the second person, in My Verizon, does it say your phone is "eligible for an upgrade" then under it say something like "on 8/16/12"? Or does it only say "eligible for an upgrade". Either way, sounds like you're only up for an early upgrade, which I do not believe Amazon honors. You can pay Verizon $20 and upgrade through Verizon, but assuming you're only about 4 months away from the full upgrade, you might as well wait in case there's another Amazon or maybe even Wirefly "free" event by then. It's up to you, either way, if Amazon says no go on the upgrade, there's really nothing you can do about it. I guess there's a slim chance you can talk Verizon into letting you pay them $20 then let Amazon know "hey this guy is up for a full upgrade"..Worth a shot, but don't be surprised if it doesn't work lol

jimmyco2008

Reaction score
My only question for the Amazon stuff is this:

I currently have a line with ATT that I want to port my number from, but I'm only 3 weeks away from my contract ending, so I don't want an ETF. I planned to get in on this because its free. Can I start a new line with a new number, then port my old number in without problems from Amazon?

The way it reads, I should, I just don't want some line snafu going on later and getting slapped with a bill.

You can most likely. You may have to pay Verizon something like $15 to change your phone number (the one you get when you start a line with them in order to get in on free 4G goodness) to your AT&T one. This can't be done through My Verizon, you'd have to call Verizon or visit a retail store.

devinhfox

Reaction score
Had enough of people comparing phones based on camera resolution. 8 is a bigger number than 5, therefore I must buy.
Click, whiiirrrrrrrrr! Auto response to stimulus makes you a great consumer, keep it up.

Sent from my GTablet-TnT-Lite using Tapatalk

dave4555

Reaction score
it says i am eligible for a discount, but you are right i do believe it is an early upgrade. they just sent me an email one day telling me i was able to upgrade whenever i wanted. i may call in tomorrow to see what i can get. if i can get one great, if not my incredible will continue to last.....hopefully. i just hope i can get into something before they discontinue unlimited data

jimmyco2008

Reaction score
Yeah the only reason I'm getting the TB is to get grandfathered into unlimited 4G lol, I'm thinking of the future when "unlimited"" is nowhere on ANY mobile phone carrier or even land-based internet company's websites. AT&T already capped DSL adn UVERSE internet... Comcast probably capped or will. Sprint can't keep up this unlimited thing for much longer, not with the lousiest 4G network in America. Or perhaps that means they will keep it. Either way, unlimited is vanishing and I want unlimited 5, 10, 20 years from now.

For the record, Verizon said they're capping 3G and 4G "this summer". June is too early IMO (it's like.. here lol) July seems too early still, but I can't say. If it helps your hopes, Verizon has been meaning to cap for a very long time, they keep extending it. Actually that's why I got the DX in December, I thought they were gonna cap in Q1 2011... Thank God that's a mistake I don't have to live with haha.

dave4555

Reaction score
yeah and i am sure it will be all over the internet a couple of months before they do so maybe i could find something in that time frame. thank you so much for your help.

Murker

Reaction score
Does anyone know if it will be free if I add a new line to my family plan?

Here is my situation, I've got a BB storm that is available for an upgrade. It is the Primary line on a family plan that has 3 other phones on it. None of those are up for an upgrade until Nov. at the earliest.

I'd like to take advantage of the free phone deal, but don't want another contract as the one I have has an employee discount.

I can get the Revolution at verizon.com for $149. Would adding a line and transferring my main number to the new phone be cheaper than the $149?

Is there any other way around this?

Just stumbled on this tidbit while reading over Amazon's guidelines:

Which carriers can I buy from? What products do you carry?

During this beta period, AmazonWireless will offer a variety of transaction types from AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile, and Verizon Wireless. For all of these carriers, we can help you set up a new individual or family plan (with the option of transferring your current phone number to your new phone), upgrade to a new phone for your current individual or family plan, or purchase phones without any plan at all. Adding a line to your existing family plan (with the option of transferring an existing phone number) is currently supported for both AT&T and T-Mobile. Support for other carriers for this transaction type is coming soon.

No VZW listed there bud. =(

Status
Not open for further replies.