Smokin Deal! All Verizon Phones at Amazon for a Penny... Even the Bionic!

Discussion in 'Android News' started by dgstorm, Oct 12, 2011.

1. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1,599
    [​IMG]

This is just almost too ridiculous to believe for new sign ups. Verizon is offering a one cent sale for all their Verizon phones! Keep in mind that this is for a new two-year individual contract only. Their renewal deals aren't nearly as good, but are still cheaper than the Verizon store. Here are the details straight from Amazon, "For a limited time only, all Verizon phones with a new line of service are on sale for a penny and include standard FREE Two-Day Shipping. Offer valid between 5:00 p.m. PDT October 11, 2011, through 11:59 p.m. PDT October 17, 2011, while supplies last." Here's a list of Verizon phones that Amazon sells:
    • HTC Droid Incredible 2 – $0.01
    • Motorola Droid Bionic – $0.01
    • HTC Thunderbolt – $0.01
    • Samsung Droid Charge – $0.01
    • Motorola Droid 3 – $0.01
    • Casio G’zOne Commando – $0.01
    • Pantech Breakout 4G – $0.01
    • HTC Rhyme – $0.01
    • Motorola Droid X2 – $0.01
    • Motorola Droid 2 Global – $0.01
    • Sony Ericsson Xperia Play – $0.01
    • LG Enlighten – $0.01
    • LG Revolution 4G – $0.01
    • Motorola Droid 2 Global – $0.01
    • Motorola Droid Pro – $0.01
    Source: DroidMatters and AmazonWireless
  2. sc0rch3d

sc0rch3d Member

Ratings:
    +6
    does that mean something is cooking up VZW's sleeve? methinksso!
  3. Trusstopher

Trusstopher DF Super Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +83
    and me thinks this is a great way for people at the end of their contract to terminate what they have and start anew because "unlimited data just wasn't that important to me" and/or "I didn't realize that unlimited data wouldn't transfer over to my new contract"
  4. chargeron

chargeron New Member

Ratings:
    +0
  5. kodiak799

kodiak799 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +273
    I think it probably has more to do with clearing inventory for a slew of Android beasts getting ready to hit the market ahead of the holidays (just over 6 weeks away from Black Friday?)

LOL, that'd be a nice marketing campaign for the Samsung Nexus...instead of the traditional little green Andy, get one all pumped up and raging on 'roids.
  6. kmkings311

kmkings311 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    New Line

I heard you can add a line to your existing and receive this discount. How long do you need to keep that line active...? Or, can I just close it right away ;)
  7. chewy74

chewy74 Active Member

Ratings:
    +16
    yeah, it stinks these unrealistic deals are only for new contracts and not the existing contracts looking to upgrade phone only.

droid 3 upgrade on a family plan is $149.99 is still a great price, but I will wait for the samsung stratosphere for the wifey
  8. justin82

justin82 DF Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +212
    they dont care about the existing customers.. only thing they are concerned with is the overall number of people they have using there service. #sadbuttrue
  9. BayouFlyFisher

BayouFlyFisher Rescue Squad Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +17
    That's an Amazon deal, not a Verizon deal. Amazon makes enough on a new customer that they can give the phones away and still make money. Bionic is still 299.99 on the Verizon site.
  10. rubiksc00p

rubiksc00p Senior Member

Somewhere on this amazing ball of creation!
    Ratings:
    +29
    When I saw this, and I saw truss post as well. It just made me think about how truss had learned the true meaning of "a penny saved is a penny earned." Learn from truss... ;) don't pay a penny for something you can get for free! xD
  11. jonbw

jonbw New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Also check walmart if you have an account already or are adding to a family plan. I checked adding a line to family plan and the droid 3 is $74 same as Amazon. Then I just drop a line and back to normal with a cheaper phone. However I am waiting for a month or two to see what new droids pop up.
  12. bamared

bamared New Member

Ratings:
    +0
  13. combres

combres New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Amazon Penny deal dilemma

So I am trying to determine if this amazon penny deal is good or not.

I am currently a verizon customer and here is what I was thinking of doing in order to take advantage of the Bionic for 1 cent.

Since you can't take advantage of this deal without being a new customer, I was going to just sign up for a line extension on my family plan and get a new number.

My contract is up Nov 6th (i bought the original droid), so I would have to keep my current phone till then. At the end of the contract, I would port my phone number to google voice then just forward that to the new "deal" phone. The overlap would be minimal and would probably cost $65 including the activation fee.

Now the dilemma. Signing up for a new phone number gets you only 2 gigs a month. If I keep my current contract and just renew, I am supposedly grandfathered into the unlimited plan, but have to pay ~$250 for the bionic. I don't use a ton of data now, but I think these data limited plans are going to be an issue say a year from now. The additional cost from the 2 gigs to 4 gigs, is an extra $20, this is $240 over a year, and $480 over 2 years (contract length).

Thoughts?
  14. shizumie

shizumie Member

Ratings:
    +1
    To me its not worth losing the unlimited data. If roll over is an extra $60 minus 250 its only a 190 difference.... Id pay the 250 keep my number and unlimited data.. just my 2¢

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums
  15. bL33d

bL33d Member

Ratings:
    +0
    When u get the phone just activate it on ur line and activate the og droid on the new line. Verizon rep said that is kosher also said i could order a new smart phone on my wifes account (basic phone) just activate it on my line then i would not have to get a data plan on her account.
Search tags for this page

.01 motorola razr m

amazon .01 cent phones