Man shouldI take the update?

BullysonRazor

Reaction score
I keep reading nothing but hurtful comments about the ICS update and i'm hesitant to take it because GB on my phone is working well for me..for some people who did not take the update yet should we wait till a update is ready for corrections?

surge

Reaction score
I haven't heard any of the bad about the update. I updated and am very impressed. Go for it.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
You're always going to read more negative things than positive things about an update like this because those with issues will be far more vocal than those without. Along with that, new updates also bring a large influx of new posters on the site (which is always welcome), but many of the new posters aren't as familiar with the ins and outs of Android and updates, so they'll have more questions and potential issues. That said, there are plenty of people, including myself, who have had no problems with the update. In fact, many people have seen improvements all the way around.

And if you're stock and unrooted, it will be difficult to avoid the update for too long.

TheHeavyJ

Reaction score
I took the plunge and it was well worth it imo. One thing i read was that you would have to perform a small hack to get 3g access, but that seems to not be the case. Maybe that was the last minute battery drain issue they fixed? just putting it out there.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
I took the plunge and it was well worth it imo. One thing i read was that you would have to perform a small hack to get 3g access, but that seems to not be the case. Maybe that was the last minute battery drain issue they fixed? just putting it out there.

I think what you're referring to is the ability to switch to 3G only mode, not to get 3G access. That's been a big issue for many with ICS. It used to be in the settings, but it's no longer there. You can still force the phone into 3G only mode through what some might call a "hack," although it's really not. It can also be forced with an app from the Play store.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
The app is just a shortcut to the same menu.. saves ya from having to remember *#*#4636#*#* or whatever it is lol

DROID RAZR MAXXIMIZED!!!! PREPARE TO BE VANQUISHED!!!

jdroid80

Reaction score
It took me about half a day to come around to it. I didn't like it at first, but after adjustments and updating some apps it's working nice

TheHeavyJ

Reaction score
I think what you're referring to is the ability to switch to 3G only mode, not to get 3G access.

After I did some more poking, it turns out that is what I was talking about. Previously I had been under the impression that under ICS, it was not at all possibru to get on a 3g network at all, and that users were forced to go 4g or not at all.

Nonetheless in response to the OP, I was satisfied with Gb, but find the ICS to be an improvement in ways that matter to me. The stock Email app allows you to set the fetch time for each individual account, I like being able to Disable bloatware as opposed to simply hide it, and it seems perkier somehow.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
I have this

Yeah, that's what everyone on ICS has. Previously, the options were CDMA (3G-only) and LTE/CDMA. Many people who aren't in a 4G area (or who just want to save battery life), prefer to run the phone in 3G-only mode. The ICS update removed that option from the settings, as your screenshot shows. In order to force the phone into 3G-only mode, you have to either do it manually - which is covered in the first post of this thread: [How To] Enable 3G only mode - or use an app that does the same thing - LTE OnOFF - HTC Thunderbolt.

billabong1030

Reaction score
bsweetness said:
Yeah, that's what everyone on ICS has. Previously, the options were CDMA (3G-only) and LTE/CDMA. Many people who aren't in a 4G area (or who just want to save battery life), prefer to run the phone in 3G-only mode. The ICS update removed that option from the settings, as your screenshot shows. In order to force the phone into 3G-only mode, you have to either do it manually - which is covered in the first post of this thread: [How To] Enable 3G only mode - or use an app that does the same thing - LTE OnOFF - HTC Thunderbolt.

Yeah... I caught on when i actually read what options were there

fasttrek

Reaction score
im using a rooted droid razr...not flashed yet....so how can i update my os to ics?
i tried to update using the "system updates" under my settings. but it turns out being able to download but fails during unpacking. and so i learnt that i cant update it that way zzzzzzzzzz

Reaction score
im using a rooted droid razr...not flashed yet....so how can i update my os to ics?
i tried to update using the "system updates" under my settings. but it turns out being able to download but fails during unpacking. and so i learnt that i cant update it that way zzzzzzzzzz

If you're only rooted, try unrooting and download/install the update again. Matt's DroidRazrUtility 1.7 works wonderfully.

fasttrek

Reaction score
successfully updated...the thing stopping the unpacking was my safestrap...after i've uninstalled the recovery and the safestrap, everything is fine