Motorola's ICS Blog details why it will take 6 months for your RAZR to see ICS

JFMFT

Reaction score
I saw this new blog by Motorola on the company's Twitter feed today and I wanted to share some really interesting information found within the blog. Here's a link:Motorola Update on Ice Cream Sandwich | The Official Motorola Blog - Motorola Mobility, Inc. USA

If you read the first blog post, Motorola is actually quite transparent and even articulate in their description of the Android upgrade process for devices.

The good news: The RAZR is getting ICS.
The bad news: The blog post clearly shows it will take 6 months to ship ICS to the RAZR. Here's why:

1 month (mid-January): "We are currently assessing this source code, and over the next month we will be determining which devices will get the upgrade and when"

3-5 months (mid-April at the earliest to mid-June at the "supposed" latest, delays not included): "There may be a two-month preparation cycle to enter a carrier lab cycle of one to three months."

The bold sections are direct quotes from the Motorola ICS blog. I mean, it's hard to argue with that.

Kinda disappointing, to say the least...

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
I saw this new blog by Motorola on the company's Twitter feed today and I wanted to share some really interesting information found within the blog. Here's a link:Motorola Update on Ice Cream Sandwich | The Official Motorola Blog - Motorola Mobility, Inc. USA

If you read the first blog post, Motorola is actually quite transparent and even articulate in their description of the Android upgrade process for devices.

The good news: The RAZR is getting ICS.
The bad news: The blog post clearly shows it will take 6 months to ship ICS to the RAZR. Here's why:

1 month (mid-January): "We are currently assessing this source code, and over the next month we will be determining which devices will get the upgrade and when"

3-5 months (mid-April at the earliest to mid-June at the "supposed" latest, delays not included): "There may be a two-month preparation cycle to enter a carrier lab cycle of one to three months."

The bold sections are direct quotes from the Motorola ICS blog. I mean, it's hard to argue with that.

Kinda disappointing, to say the least...
Kinda disappointing, but I can live with that. GB is not bad. As long as they come out with an update soon to fix the 3g/4g data disconnection issue I won't have any complaints.

OP
J

JFMFT

Reaction score
Kinda disappointing, but I can live with that. GB is not bad. As long as they come out with an update to fix the 3g/4g data disconnection issue I won't have any complaints.

I can only assume the RAZR will continue to receive minor bug fixes/patches, etc., between now and when ICS ships. And this is a "worst case scenario" according to the Motorola blog - it could be as short as 4 months if you look at the timeline they laid out. However, my experience with Motorola has always been one of worst-case scenarios rather than best-case scenarios. The update process on my old Droid X was so slow and uncertain.

tclarktc

Reaction score
Did you read CNETS review of the GN? They thought the phone was just average and that ICS was still very sloppy. Id rather the "kinks" get ironed out on a worse phone and wait for the polished product for my RAZR. No sense in putting the messy operating system on the superior phone. And Im sure tons of developers are working on ROMS and whatnot. I know I had the ICS keyboard ages ago.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

alboboy10

Reaction score
Did you read CNETS review of the GN? They thought the phone was just average and that ICS was still very sloppy. Id rather the "kinks" get ironed out on a worse phone and wait for the polished product for my RAZR. No sense in putting the messy operating system on the superior phone. And Im sure tons of developers are working on ROMS and whatnot. I know I had the ICS keyboard ages ago.

Tell yourself whatever you want to justify buying a razr... But cnet is terrible. Go read endgadget and the verge.

Worse phone. LOL please.

OP
J

JFMFT

Reaction score
Like HTC's "by the end of Q2 2011" for the Gingerbread update which ALMOST release in Q4? Lololol.

None of these manufacturers (even Samsung, really) are better than the other - they are misguided in "customizing" Android - and that is the root of the problem. People have been saying it for nearly 2 years now. Stop messing with a good thing. You are bringing NOTHING but headaches to the table. (you = the manufacturers)

smokiedabong

Reaction score

Have you seen the other 10 billion reviews saying how great ICS is and how GN is the best Android phone so far ?

vonfink13

Reaction score
Tell yourself whatever you want to justify buying a razr... But cnet is terrible. Go read endgadget and the verge.

Worse phone. LOL please.

By the time my razr gets ics you will still be waiting for your nexus to be released.....have fun waiting for your maybe not so pure google device...

tclarktc

Reaction score
I mean it's middle Q2 for 2012. Asus, Amazon, HTC, and Nokia are all releasing phones around then. It's partly to let the Galaxy be the "*****" phone for ICS and to offset those releases.

OP
J

JFMFT

Reaction score
By the time my razr gets ics you will still be waiting for your nexus to be released.....have fun waiting for your maybe not so pure google device...

Or, when it comes out in the next 1-2 weeks, we'll all be enjoying our stock ICS phone.

jpcalhoun

Reaction score

A Big +1:rating10:

Oaklands

Reaction score
I would much rather them have a team to work on the current issues and get those released ASAP. I can wait on ICS. As long as my phone does what I need it to do on a day by day basis, I am happy.

Why would I want a buggy system uploaded to my phone when it is not ready? At least Motorola is staying in touch with their customer base to give them some ideas on the progress.

Toshiba never tells us crap about our Thrive's. While I am happy with it the way it is, it would be nice for them to at least say something like it could 6 months due to whatever.

A big plus to Moto for sharing it.

ConqSoft

Reaction score
6 months for a whole new OS isn't surprising, especially seeing that they STILL haven't even released an update for the Bionic 3 months after its release...

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
:(

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums