Brutal clarification for the hopeful/patient 2.3.6 users...

sovrce

Reaction score
RAZR to get ICS in Q2 everywhere BUT the U.S...

Motorola updates 'ICS list' -- RAZR to get ICS in Q2 everywhere but the U.S. | Android Central

I'd also like to add something from an earlier discussion I had elsewhere...

What would Verizon (of all companies) put on their staging server? A virus? A broken build? One filled with problems, issues and instability? No. It was a release candidate. Something Google submitted to them, they looked at, signed off on and put on their server for testing. The rumor was that it got pulled because there was no way to side-load it. For example, if someone took their phone to an in-store rep and complained about connectivity/stability/SIM/data issues/etc, the rep couldn't update the unit on site. That's obviously been fixed because the last people that were able to install it did so with the build on their phone and flashed directly from it.

The fact that there's a working, stable, **hardware accelerated**, updated ICS build that's running perfectly fine on my and hundreds of other RAZRs means what? That you should wait for this soak test, then a couple more weeks, then that OTA rolls out, then another couple weeks, then a soak test, then another couple weeks and then ICS? Can you really justify waiting 6-8+ weeks when we were PROMISED 4.0 in Q1 of 2012? Whoever's whining/complaining about problems, please point them out? I want to see what (potential) issues this build might have? Right now I have absolutely none.

I guess what I'm asking is: What did Verizon put on their server if not the official ICS, 4.0.3 build, dated March 25th? And for whatever it's worth, that's about the most updated build of ICS in existence. You want to know what 4.0.4 brings? Faster screen rotation. Go ahead and hold out for that...

This is a considerably more active/more helpful forum than some of the others, so I just thought those of you on the fence about flashing ICS should know.

Don't shoot the messenger...

SnoDrtRider

Reaction score
The info in that quote is wrong... Verizon never had it on their servers it was a MOTO server that was exploited that the ICS leak came from. My guess is VZW hasn't even tested and approved it yet.
Another possibility is you need to be on the update that is currently in soak test and coming out in order to update to ICS properly the people that loaded the leak may have issues that they haven't discovered yet. Why do you think everyone who is loading the leak is told they need to be on a certain build before flashing the leak? Because certain information/files/permissions are used to allow the update to work 100% properly.

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
RAZR to get ICS in Q2 everywhere BUT the U.S...

Motorola updates 'ICS list' -- RAZR to get ICS in Q2 everywhere but the U.S. | Android Central

I'd also like to add something from an earlier discussion I had elsewhere...

This is a considerably more active/more helpful forum than some of the others, so I just thought those of you on the fence about flashing ICS should know.

Don't shoot the messenger...

Not sure this needed a new thread. This was pointed out in one of the myriad of ICS threads started here the last 2 days.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Yeah, an old story that actually doesn't even imply what the OP is stating. Nowhere on the Motorola page does it even infer that "RAZR to get ICS in Q2 everywhere BUT the U.S..." Just because it says Q2 for most regions but says "In evaluation & planning" for the U.S. models doesn't mean a thing beyond exactly what it says. And the last time that list was updated was February 15, 2012 - a month before that Android Central article was even written. A lot of "evaluation & planning" can happen over the course of the month and a half it's been since that list was updated. Much more recent, and more relevant information has come to light since that article was written, making it pretty much useless (especially with a link to an upgrade list that old).

We now know that Motorola has a nearly final build of ICS for the Verizon RAZR/MAXX. That makes a Q2 release in the U.S. very, very likely.

Last edited:
OP
S

sovrce

Reaction score
Yeah, an old story that actually doesn't even imply what the OP is stating. Nowhere on the Motorola page does it even infer that "RAZR to get ICS in Q2 everywhere BUT the U.S..." Just because it says Q2 for most regions but says "In evaluation & planning" for the U.S. models doesn't mean a thing beyond exactly what it says. And the last time that list was updated was February 15, 2012 - a month before that Android Central article was even written. A lot of "evaluation & planning" can happen over the course of the month and a half it's been since that list was updated. Much more recent, and more relevant information has come to light since that article was written, making it pretty much useless (especially with a link to an upgrade list that old).

We now know that Motorola has a nearly final build of ICS for the Verizon RAZR/MAXX. That makes a Q2 release in the U.S. very, very likely.

I'm not going to argue with that. I'm not even trying to. Did you see/read the post directly above yours? Simply put: I feel lied to and am DONE waiting. Q1 of 2012 ends April 1st. I got ICS 48 hours later so while I'm not complaining (very loudly anyway.. I'm running 4.0.3 right now, what's to be mad about?) I'm not defending Motorola or Verizon anymore.

In *MY* opinion, anyone trying to defend either of them in the name of "bug fixes/stability issues/official releases" (and there aren't any, this is as stable as stable gets) is nothing short of pathetic. Either jump ship to the Nexus or take matters into your own hands. 4.0.3 is VERY easily side-loadable and to reiterate - as smooth, stable, fast and functional as I've ever experienced. The fastest (ICS' hardware acceleration and now overclocking), thinnest, most durable phone in existence is now also (finally!) up to date. There is no excuse for NOT running ICS at this point. People are going to argue with this, and that's to be expected. Although again, it's pathetic given this is a MODDING community (or at least many aspects of it are) and people are afraid.

I sincerely don't mean to offend or come off rude, but there's NOTHING keeping you from updating right this instant besides stupidity/fear/irrationality etc. I'll repeat myself: 4.0.4 brings faster screen rotations and I'm willing to bet Motorola/Verizon will eventually push that build out to not only "spite" the early ICS adopters, but to make the whitehat/legit/sheep community feel like it was worth the wait. It. Is. Not.

tl;dr - read the post above yours if you don't want to read this "rant". I'm just sick and tired of the complacency today, both in the Android community (regarding "patience" and updates) and at large. Sorry for any and all hurt feelings.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
I'm not going to argue with that. I'm not even trying to. Did you see/read the post directly above yours? Simply put: I feel lied to and am DONE waiting. Q1 of 2012 ends April 1st. I got ICS 48 hours later so while I'm not complaining (very loudly anyway.. I'm running 4.0.3 right now, what's to be mad about?) I'm not defending Motorola or Verizon anymore.

In *MY* opinion, anyone trying to defend either of them in the name of "bug fixes/stability issues/official releases" (and there aren't any, this is as stable as stable gets) is nothing short of pathetic. Either jump ship to the Nexus or take matters into your own hands. 4.0.3 is VERY easily side-loadable and to reiterate - as smooth, stable, fast and functional as I've ever experienced. The fastest (ICS' hardware acceleration and now overclocking), thinnest, most durable phone in existence is now also (finally!) up to date. There is no excuse for NOT running ICS at this point. People are going to argue with this, and that's to be expected. Although again, it's pathetic given this is a MODDING community (or at least many aspects of it are) and people are afraid.

I sincerely don't mean to offend or come off rude, but there's NOTHING keeping you from updating right this instant besides stupidity/fear/irrationality etc. I'll repeat myself: 4.0.4 brings faster screen rotations and I'm willing to bet Motorola/Verizon will eventually push that build out to not only "spite" the early ICS adopters, but to make the whitehat/legit/sheep community feel like it was worth the wait. It. Is. Not.

tl;dr - read the post above yours if you don't want to read this "rant". I'm just sick and tired of the complacency today, both in the Android community (regarding "patience" and updates) and at large. Sorry for any and all hurt feelings.

Calm down there. You were never lied to. Nothing was ever official. It was all rumors, including the post directly above mine that you're so adamant about everyone seeing. It's another picture of Best Buy's private, internal system that's only for employees and not for members of the public. It means nothing beyond what they're expecting based off of things they've heard at any given time - which may or may not actually happen. There's no reason for anyone to get this upset about updates that they were never promised a release by or that they feel they're entitled to. No one here is defending Motorola, Verizon, or Google. In fact, you'd be hard pressed to find much of anyone who would defend the way they go about most things. But people are pointing out the facts of the matter and how things actually work, for better or for worse. That's not pathetic. Pathetic is whining about being lied to when it was all rumors to begin with and accusing people of things they aren't saying or doing. I just don't see the point to this whole rant beyond your own frustration. You installed the leak and ended your frustration. Good for you. But there's no reason to take it out on everyone else by attacking and accusing them of being pathetic for not sharing your views.

Trash Can

Reaction score

You can toss me into that "pathetic, stupid, fearful, irrational" category. Or maybe you can toss me into "someone who knows their limitations" category?

I'm in no hurry to update and it's not because I'm afraid. My phone works great as is. I know I'm not anywhere near as knowledgeable as a lot of people on this forum, but I'm far from the idiot you're describing above. I'm not into rooting, but I know enough to help others from time to time. If that makes me dumb in your mind, so be it. My life does not revolve around my phone.

What's pathetic is you coming here and bashing others for not following your lead. It sounds like you need to go for a walk or find a different hobby.

OP
S

sovrce

Reaction score
Yes, we were lied to:

Motorola Razr Android 4.0 update confirmed for 2012 | News | TechRadar

I'm not trying to fight, I'm not trying to argue. The preemptive apology did more harm than good, so I'll leave it alone.

I'd ***LOVE*** to be proven wrong. I'd love nothing more than for the official, signed, certified, kissed, blessed, over-the-air update to come out this month or even next month, so we can take whatever updates come with it and sideload those like we've done for years across the Android platform. But I won't be. We'll/you'll/they'll be waiting 6-8+ weeks. I'm not asking you, I'm telling you.

It's getting late, I'm (clearly) getting crabby and, again, I wasn't/I'm not trying to offend anyone, as I said. No one's an idiot for learning, trying to help, rooting/modding/etc. I'm sorry. I am (was, actually.. what would I be mad about at this point?) just frustrated with this entire situation.

Goodnight, fellas.

Androidatic

Reaction score
This is funny. This guy just joined on April 5th and only has 4 posts, all in this thread. Can anyone say TROLL!

Don't believe a word this guy says.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Yes, we were lied to:

Motorola Razr Android 4.0 update confirmed for 2012 | News | TechRadar

I'm not trying to fight, I'm not trying to argue. The preemptive apology did more harm than good, so I'll leave it alone.

I'd ***LOVE*** to be proven wrong. I'd love nothing more than for the official, signed, certified, kissed, blessed, over-the-air update to come out this month or even next month, so we can take whatever updates come with it and sideload those like we've done for years across the Android platform. But I won't be. We'll/you'll/they'll be waiting 6-8+ weeks. I'm not asking you, I'm telling you.

It's getting late, I'm (clearly) getting crabby and, again, I wasn't/I'm not trying to offend anyone, as I said. No one's an idiot for learning, trying to help, rooting/modding/etc. I'm sorry. I am (was, actually.. what would I be mad about at this point?) just frustrated with this entire situation.

Goodnight, fellas.

You're really using that article as proof to say we were lied to?

A) Publication date: October 19, 2011. Technology information becomes outdated very quickly as products get delayed or change.

B) The article says an ICS update will be released in "early 2012." That's a broad time frame. Right now is still considered "early 2012."

C) The article is written purely off something they said they were told by someone at Motorola during a press conference. It wasn't an official announcement, probably just an off hand answer to a question. If it was an official announcement, there would be a press release to go along with it. So there was no actual announcement, hence the fact that there's no source linked. Again, it's just a rumor.

D) Finally, and most importantly, it's talking about the ICS for Europe, not the U.S., so even putting aside the first tree points, it has absolutely nothing to do with when we will or will not get our update.

Again, you, nor anyone else was ever lied to. There was never an official announcement, and your sources don't say what you think they say. You bought into rumors that didn't pan out to be true, as is shown by the so-called "evidence" you keep presenting, and you became frustrated by them. That's not Motorola's fault, Verizon's fault, or Google's fault. That's no one's fault but your own. Sure we all wanted to believe the rumors that we'd officially see ICS this week, but it's not the end of the world that we didn't. If you've spent anytime being involved in the tech world, you'd know that this sort of thing happens all the time. There's no reason to get frustrated by it. It's just the way the rumor mill spins.

Last edited:

gmen1818

Reaction score
Is there a way to flash ics without being rooted?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums