Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Don't you mean especially your 'finger'??...lol :D

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
Their report is as accurate as the guy who had his moto "explode" in his ear. Enough said. :)

FBM is spot on, this is the same risk management that we take with our desktop/laptop computer systems, if you stick to trusted sources, you'll be ok, when you go outside that or don't know what you have installed, then you place yourself at risk. Nothiong new here, same old story, just a new platform.

Typed by lots of my fingers on an unspecified laptop hehehe.

mitchusmc

Reaction score
Couldn't opening an infected email on your phone have the same effect as opening it on your pc? I try to be as cautious as possible but an email from a friend had some sort of virus in it which got sent to all my contacts repeatedly ultimately causing me to delete my email account.

HamDog

Reaction score
Can anyone give one example of when a virus or malware has hit the Android? Can anyone name an app that has infected their phone? I'm not aware of any so far.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score

HamDog

Reaction score
Thanks Martin. Did the wallpaper you mentioned as malware infect rooted phones only? And did it ask for superuser permission after installation? It's difficult for me to see how malware can affect our systems without root and superuser permission. I'm not an expert on Linux at all, just trying to learn.

HarvesterX™

Reaction score
There was several apps released that were testing potential vulnerabilities, more specifically the ability to steal sensitive information and then send such information to whomever. No theft was actually implemented in these apps (which were disguised as harmless apps) and it was really just a test. Such apps were removed from all phones that had installed them remotely by Google. And I also heard of the Wallpaper app in question. Hell, I rarely run an antivirus on my windows pc (just firewall and spyware removers) unless I know other people have access to it. I'm sure as hell not going to run any on my phone.

With that said, I am also particularly careful as to what gets installed, although I do give blind trust to a few people out there when it comes to testing and debugging apps for them. Keep in mind though, everyone who has rooted has placed a certain amount of blind trust in somebody. And that custom built from source rom you are running from somebody you have never met....or that new market app which takes your credit card info didn't explicitly come from Google...

Bottom line, just keep an eye open everyone. There isn't any need for antivirus apps or fear. Just pretend like your phone is your pc...your pc with Linux on it and not Windows that is ;-)

Sweettooth

Reaction score
Not too worried about getting a virus on my phone for the time being and I always practice the aforementioned precautionary measures when downloading apps. However, I wouldn't mind too much if someone were to create a polished keystroke/activity logger for Android. ;)

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint

Nope. My finger stays attatched to my body at all times. My brain, however, is often found in the gutter, sewer, and if you ever read any of my fiction you'd probably like to see it locked up in a room with rubber walls. Possibly with the Hannibal Lecter treatment. ;)

Couldn't opening an infected email on your phone have the same effect as opening it on your pc? I try to be as cautious as possible but an email from a friend had some sort of virus in it which got sent to all my contacts repeatedly ultimately causing me to delete my email account.

Android requires you agree to install anything before it installs. Unless an app has root access (which you still have to grant), that is.

Well, there's only so many places a 'finger' CAN go ;-)

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

Ayup. ;)

Thanks Martin. Did the wallpaper you mentioned as malware infect rooted phones only? And did it ask for superuser permission after installation? It's difficult for me to see how malware can affect our systems without root and superuser permission. I'm not an expert on Linux at all, just trying to learn.

No, it was freely available on the Market. It data-mined and sent all that information to a server in mainland China. Why anyone would allow a wallpaper selector to have access to their contact list and e-mail access is beyond me, but like has been said. Check your bloody permissions before you install anything!

Reaction score
The only viruses/malware that I know of that could be on Android are Social Engineering ones. That is really not even a virus/malware it is just tricking someone into something. Really a lot of apps are like Malware because of the access they have to your phone, it may not be full access but it has a lot. Anti Virus software cant really do anything because the apps you install tell you what they have access to. I have not designed one so I don't know if you can bypass that. But giving your credit card information to the marketplace is really the only direct security threat. The best defense is just intelligence.

Reaction score
Can anyone give one example of when a virus or malware has hit the Android? Can anyone name an app that has infected their phone? I'm not aware of any so far.

Voila! An app from the Market no less.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...droid-wallpaper-app-raided-personal-data.html

Sent from my marginally bricked D2.
If you read on in that thread it was not a malicious app just suspicious. It had the same access as any other app can have.