Malware Attacks Against Androids Increase

danDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
android-malware.jpeg

A recent study by mobile security vendor, AdaptiveMobile, reported first here at cellular-news.com, indicates that malware attacks are up 33% over last year for the smart-phone market, and specifically attacks against Androids are four times what they were previously. Of course, part of that data is skewed because this year has seen the largest increase in sales of Android phones as well, but the report is still very troubling. Commenting on the report, Gareth Maclachlan, Chief Operating Officer of AdaptiveMobile also went on to say, "With the increasing pervasiveness of Smartphone devices, 2010 has undoubtedly been the year that fraudsters have truly turned their attention to mobile platforms."

He further added, ""The vast majority of consumers are acutely aware of the threats that PC-based viruses, spam messages and phishing emails pose, but many are still unaware of the risks associated with their mobile devices. With Smartphone penetration reported to reach 37 per cent in Europe and 44 per cent in the US by 2012,* we predict that the number of threats targeted at unsuspecting mobile users will continue to increase at an exponential rate throughout the course of 2011. Even more significantly, the nature of the threats we are seeing will increase in sophistication. Whereas the majority of existing threats target either SMS, voice, email or web, the next year will see the emergence of the 'compound threat' - intelligent scams designed to exploit multiple phone capabilities in order to reap maximum reward for the criminals, before the user even realises they have become a victim."

So, the most troubling thing about this is that most people don't really think about the safety of smart-phones, because, psychologically, most of us view them as appliances. Unfortunately, because they are literally mobile mini-computers, they are almost as likely to get infected as a typical home-based PC, and most problems go completely unnoticed by the end-user by the time it's too late.

I am sure that the prime-movers of the smart-phone industry are working hard to counter as many security threats as they can, but we can't just rely on them to protect us from the bad guys. Perhaps one of the best solutions to this rising dilemma is for us to change the way we perceive our smart-phones. We need a fundamental shift in our thinking, and begin to be consciously aware about protecting ourselves. The guys over at Phandroid had some excellent points here, "As always, be safe with what you download. Check permissions, ratings, and user feedback before installing apps to your phone. They may look as innocent as a ringtone app on the surface, but it is what lurks beneath that could get you in trouble."

Also, I believe an additional pro-active approach would be to constantly share as much information as possible with each other on the forums. Whenever we, or our friends, have experienced any kind of security threat, let's spread the info as fast as possible. The more we work together, the less likely the criminal scum-bags can succeed in victimizing people.

by dgstorm
Source: Phandroid.com

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Was wondering when Apple and Android were gonna go at it in corporate espionage....lol :p

Darkseider

Reaction score
Wow that's a lot of hot air. Coming from a company that sells solutions to these problems this doesn't surprise me. Or in better terms...

Our product sucks... no one is buying it so let's scare them into buying it!

Big Fate

Reaction score
I laugh at the people who said to delete virus protectors....

one word, LOOKOUT

Cdjones187

Reaction score
Only way to get a virus on linux is if YOU the user give it root access. So just check the permissions before installing a app. Read the reviews, and dont download apps from a reliable source (Android Market)

Cdjones187

Reaction score
Only way to get a virus on linux is if YOU the user give it root access. So just check the permissions before installing a app. Read the reviews, and dont download apps from a UN-reliable source (Android Market)

f i x e d.

Kessler J

Reaction score
Yeah imma tend to agree.

Blackberry, maybe. Windows phones, oh yeah. Apple, I wouldn't blame them. lol.

But if you get a virus on android, then PEBKAC.

patfactorx

Reaction score
Have you heard of someone actually getting a virus? Other than a news story?

pyro6128

Reaction score
of course not, he has lookout security, it actually emits signals that kills all virus on his phone and the phones around him. It also reads his astrological sign and predicts when he will find true love and get rich. Small price to pay to have your phone lag if you ask me

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Do you know what my job is??? it's to infiltrate the Android community, gather all weaknesses, and report back to my company..... Apple...:D...

In all seriousness though, just be proactive in protecting your identity, that's the main thing... you don't ever want to be that guy who laughed off any potential malwares, then be the poster child for victims... lol :p;)

pyro6128

Reaction score
Exactly, all joking aside, as long as youre not reckless when installing apps, there's really nothing to worry about. Read app comments, look at reviews, check out the number of downloads, check out the permissions. This should be a habit for everyone who uses the android market. All anti-virus apps do is lull people into a false sense of security, which will probably cause more harm than good, and drain resources on your phone. There are no known viruses for android, so what exactly is it that lookout is looking for? Nothing. Just use your head

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Malware happens. The people who pirate are the most at risk. The answer? Don't pirate. The people who root are the most vulnerable. The answer? Unless you know what the bleep you are doing, don't root. The people who randomly install apps that a friend texts therm, though, deserve what they get.

This came from my brain by way of my finger and my phone. Don't ask where any of them have been. Especially the brain.