Low volume call

parkschr

Reaction score
Anyone else having difficulty hearing another person on this phone? It's not loud enough. I can move the move around my ear and can eventually hear it a little better.

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
Yea it sucks, plain and simple. The quality is better than my G2 but it's a total pain in the ass to find the sweet spot, move a MM and it's gone.

TatDroid

Reaction score
Yeah, earpiece volume seems to be an issue. I'm constantly moving it around on my ear to try to find the sweet spot.

Sent from my Droid Turbo

JDH

Reaction score
I experienced this right after purchase, turned volume all the way up but no joy. Then the solution, you must turn the volume up while on a call. Did it and no more problem. Too obvious but just try it.

krnmc

Reaction score
Glad I wasn't the only one with this. I got a phone from my friend recently and it was super weird that the volume was low even with the volume up to max.

vasili8

Reaction score
Same here :( I have tried the 2 fixes but still same issue although some times I feel it is better. Have to move the phone and find the "sweet spot". What I tried:
1. Turn off the Audio Effects
2. Turn off Voice Privacy setting
3. I even flat out disabled the Audio Effects service from running

Hopefully some fix can be applied. Other than that, all else seems ok.

Question
Has anyone tried a volume booster app, or does that require root?

thanks

BlueLions81

Reaction score
Is the volume issue just for calls, or is also a problem with audio when watching video or listening to music? How is it with headphones?

vasili8

Reaction score
Is the volume issue just for calls, or is also a problem with audio when watching video or listening to music? How is it with headphones?
Headphones are fine, speaker is ok when listening to music or watching a video. I don't think its the CLEAREST of speakers when at high volume, but it's not an issue for me. Its more call volume with the handset itself.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I experienced this right after purchase, turned volume all the way up but no joy. Then the solution, you must turn the volume up while on a call. Did it and no more problem. Too obvious but just try it.
Same here :( I have tried the 2 fixes but still same issue although some times I feel it is better. Have to move the phone and find the "sweet spot". What I tried:
1. Turn off the Audio Effects
2. Turn off Voice Privacy setting
3. I even flat out disabled the Audio Effects service from running

Hopefully some fix can be applied. Other than that, all else seems ok.

Question
Has anyone tried a volume booster app, or does that require root?

thanks

I agree that there is a "sweet spot" with the earpiece on this phone. Most are used to the earpiece being in the middle of the phone at the top. In this phone however, the earpiece apparently doubles as the speaker and is located in the top left (top right as seen in the first pic below). This is where the black rubber gasket is visible in a rectangular shape at the top right corner.

Turbo Display and Digitizer internal.JPG

The actual "transducer" (speaker), is located on the back of the rear camera and speaker module insert on the side that faces the front of the phone, and seats inside that gasket as seen, in order to create a "pressure zone" inside the phone casing at the back of the display. That transducer is seen at the top left of the module as a silver rectangle in the second picture below.

Speaker modume.JPG

The sound "pressure" is then ported out either one of three openings at the front of the phone along the top edge of the glass. You can see two larger elongated openings on either end of the cutaway in the glass at the top of the phone, if you look closely and have light reflecting at the right angle. It's the left one if looking at the face of the phone, which the sound comes out of if you're playing a video and also where the ringtones come from.

There is a much less pronounced (smaller) opening which is harder to see, more like a slot, which is located just to the right of center however, and it seems that sound comes out of that middle area opening when on a phone call (as one would expect).

motorola-droid-turbo-screen-top-1500x1000.jpg

Here's a pic of my phone and it's even smaller than the stock image above.

c721c91d246a7a8ce362459aa02acb92.jpg

It seems that the right opening plays the role of the "bass port" for enhanced audio playback.

It is entirely possible that the "speaker" and "earpiece" are two separate devices, with the earpiece being that smaller, square silver device which appears to have 4 corners extending and is still attached to the phone's front display and visible to the left of center on the 1st picture. Until someone does a more complete teardown this will remain speculation.

So if your ear happens to land directly over that "sweet spot" just to the right if middle in the front, you will hear the sound most distinctly, however if you are over another area (where the opening would not be aligned with your ear canal), you would hear a significantly reduced volume and clarity.

Last edited: