Losing unlimited

pbickel

Reaction score
My phone has been messing up and I had to get a replacement from Verizon. In the mean time I need to switch to my 3G phone for a phone in the mean time. Will switching from 4G to 3G make me lose my unlimited data? If so does that mean they went against the contract and have to give me more than 2GB a month?

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
No going from 4g devices to 3g devices will not make you lose your unlimited data.. I was doing it routinely until I sold my x and x2. Hope this helps?

OP
pbickel

pbickel

Reaction score
Thanks a lot didn't think it would be a problem but was just getting some reassurance

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
If you get the phone from Verizon or any authorized Verizon vendor at subsidized price, your unlimited data is NO MORE, for you to keep your unlimited data you would have to buy the NEW phone outright "at full price", or get a used one on eBay or Craigs list, once you go the new phone at subsidized price your old contract is null and void "no more unlimited", and you will be pushed into the shared data plans.

Bishang

Reaction score
If you get the phone from Verizon or any authorized Verizon vendor at subsidized price, your unlimited data is NO MORE, for you to keep your unlimited data you would have to buy the NEW phone outright "at full price", or get a used one on eBay or Craigs list, once you go the new phone at subsidized price your old contract is null and void "no more unlimited", and you will be pushed into the shared data plans.

He's talking about getting a replacement, not an upgrade.

If you're getting a warranty or insurance replacement, your data plan isn't touched. Also, moving between a 3G and 4G phone won't affect your data, Verizon doesn't have separate data plans for 3G and 4G phones.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

IIIce

Reaction score

That is also not entirely true. I have unlimited data and got my phone from Best Buy as an authorized vendor at an upgrade price. I took the upgrade on my wife's phone then just transferred the number back to my line. So I get to keep my unlimited data, there is always a way around something, and it is worth it to keep your unlimited data. If you have a second line you can get the upgrade on that line if it is eligible and then transfer the phone over to your line and KEEP your unlimited data. If anyone would like I do have an audiofile saved on Evernote of a Verizon rep Linda stating this on recording. =)

indcolts18288

Reaction score
cybertec69 said:

This is why when my contract is up this summer in June im switching to AT&T. Its garbage that Verizon did this.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy SIII

indcolts18288

Reaction score
IIIce said:
That is also not entirely true. I have unlimited data and got my phone from Best Buy as an authorized vendor at an upgrade price. I took the upgrade on my wife's phone then just transferred the number back to my line. So I get to keep my unlimited data, there is always a way around something, and it is worth it to keep your unlimited data. If you have a second line you can get the upgrade on that line if it is eligible and then transfer the phone over to your line and KEEP your unlimited data. If anyone would like I do have an audiofile saved on Evernote of a Verizon rep Linda stating this on recording. =)

I did something similar. I went and got an old LG Chocolate from a friend (cause u cant use a smartphone). They took the chocolate and added a 3rd line to my acct for $10/mo and adding a new line i was able to get this S3 at the upgrade price. The Chocolate has a number but i just threw it in a drawer.

IIIce

Reaction score
This is why when my contract is up this summer in June im switching to AT&T. Its garbage that Verizon did this.

You do realize that ATT does the same thing? And does not offer unlimited data? Switching to ATT really isn't an answer to unlimited data, the last bastion of truly unlimited data is T-Mobile who has been bought by ATT but for now still has truly unlimited data. Or you can do as I did and keep your unlimited data and still get "upgrade" prices. Like I said there is always a way.

carguy

Reaction score
Am I in the minority by being one who is not really impacted by the loss of 'unlimited' data?

We upgraded our VZW devices 2 weeks ago. Lost unlimited and went with the 4GB plan (2 devices). Our family/share plan bill is within $1.00 of the previous contract.

I'd be interested to see the numbers of VZW smart phone users that really use > 10GB/month. Just curious :)

IIIce

Reaction score
I use about 50gigs/cycle. Streaming media, games, and using the internet in my home and at my library in my line of work. So I need my unlimited data. =D

Raw Dodge

Reaction score

AT&T not only don't have unlimited anymore, those grandfathered are being throttled to the point that gps won't work. And pages won't load the second they hit 3gb in there cycle. Note to mention that there service is no comparison to Verizons both in voice and 4G coverage and speeds...

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

carguy

Reaction score
I use about 50gigs/cycle. Streaming media, games, and using the internet in my home and at my library in my line of work. So I need my unlimited data. =D
I'm referring to true mobile device usage, not those powering the neighborhood :)