Switching upgrades?

VooDooCC

Reaction score
I know this has been covered numerous times, but with Verizon always changing, thought I'd ask and see what's new.
I have 4 lines:
  1. Unlimited - Upgrade end of the month
  2. 2GB with double data promo - Upgrade in a few days - If I upgrade this line, I lose the promo.
  3. 2GB - upgrade 11/15
  4. Dumb phone - upgrade 7/15

Now for the questions:
  1. Would switching the UDP line upgrade to a different line make me lose my unlimited data?
  2. Would switching line 2 upgrade to line 3 effect line 3's contract end date and/or upgrade date?
  3. Can I switch line 2's upgrade to line 4 and still get a smart phone?
  4. Is there a limit to switching upgrades? For example, can I switch line 2 to line 3, use the upgraded phone on 2, then in a month or so, switch 1's upgrade to 3, use upgraded phone on 1?

I was actually almost swayed into switching to the More Everything, since I don't use a lot of data (all 3 lines total average under 2 GB/month) but that would end up adding $60 to my bill, not saving like the commercial shows.

Thanx in advance,
Justin

bweN diorD

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
G2
Now for the questions:

1. Would switching the UDP line upgrade to a different line make me lose my unlimited data? no
  2. [FONT=Titillium Web, tahoma, Geneva, sans-serif]Would switching line 2 upgrade to line 3 effect line 3's contract end date and/or upgrade date? [/FONT][FONT=Titillium Web, tahoma, Geneva, sans-serif]not sure why you would want to move it and not use it, so if you use it, then yes, you sign a new contract at that point and it has a new end date. as for the upgrade date, that wont change, however i dont know exactly how they do the swapping. it may be on line 2, but it really doesnt matter. a couple years ago before they killed unlimited, i pulled 3 upgrades onto my line in less than a year.[/FONT]
  3. Can I switch line 2's upgrade to line 4 and still get a smart phone? yes
  4. Is there a limit to switching upgrades? no For example, can I switch line 2 to line 3, use the upgraded phone on 2, then in a month or so, switch 1's upgrade to 3, use upgraded phone on 1? ​yes, but make sure its activated on line 3 before switching it to line 1

OP
V

VooDooCC

Reaction score
Thanks, the reason I was thinking about switching line 2 to line 3 is to keep the double data (4GB instead of 2GB)
So switching them to line 3 would change line 3's contract end date, but not the upgrade date correct?
To switch them to line 4, how would I go about getting the smart phones? Line 4 is dumb, so how would I activate the phones before switching them to lines 1 and 2? I only ask about this line because I don't always have access to the phone on line 3.

bweN diorD

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
G2
So switching them to line 3 would change line 3's contract end date, but not the upgrade date correct? correct
To switch them to line 4, how would I go about getting the smart phones? Line 4 is dumb, so how would I activate the phones before switching them to lines 1 and 2?
from what i read, i havent done it, you would have to get a data plan on line 4 temporarily to activate the new phone. then have the dumb phone put back on and the data plan removed.
maybe someone who has actually done it could offer some further insight.

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Double data will not go away on that line. That is still grandfathered

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
So switching them to line 3 would change line 3's contract end date, but not the upgrade date correct? correct
To switch them to line 4, how would I go about getting the smart phones? Line 4 is dumb, so how would I activate the phones before switching them to lines 1 and 2?
from what i read, i havent done it, you would have to get a data plan on line 4 temporarily to activate the new phone. then have the dumb phone put back on and the data plan removed.
maybe someone who has actually done it could offer some further insight.

This is correct. The data plan must be added temporarily, but is then removed immediately when you gave put the basic phone back on that line. As was mentioned, make sure you go through the activation process before putting the basic phone back on. Then, make sure you dial *228 on the basic phone to get it back on the network.

OP
V

VooDooCC

Reaction score
Double data will not go away on that line. That is still grandfathered

That's good news then, I'm guessing the rep was misinformed.

This is correct. The data plan must be added temporarily, but is then removed immediately when you gave put the basic phone back on that line. As was mentioned, make sure you go through the activation process before putting the basic phone back on. Then, make sure you dial *228 on the basic phone to get it back on the network.

Unrelated to the switching upgrades, but what if I wanted to sell the subsidized phone? I assume I still activate the phone on the dumb line first?

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Yes, always activate it on the eligible line first, otherwise you'll lose your unlimited

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

OP
V

VooDooCC

Reaction score
Thanx, you have been most helpful. Now if only you could make up my mind about what phone and the best way to go about getting it ;)