Lookout

rpdawgs

Reaction score
Looking for some help from the veterans. Do I need to download App Lookout to protect my Droid or is there another that is better?

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
Lookout for use as a Virus Scan is unecessary application as there are no viruses associated with Android - it does have another feature (to locate your phone) but IMO there are applications that are much more efficient in getting that done -

S-f-m-D

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
+1 to what TP said. You do download it from the Market but disable the Virus Protection in it. That's a resource hog and virus is not an issue on any Droid.

OP
R

rpdawgs

Reaction score
Thanks for the information. Tough trying to figure out everything this Driod does.

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
Also if VZW or anyone else has recommended a task killer - keep in mind they are highly frowned upon by Google (the creator of the O/S) and (Most) of the members here in the community - it does not play nice with the operating system, as Android has a very efficient task managment process built right in - and third party apps that claim to do the same just add confusion and slow down performance and battery longetivity

S-f-m-D

OP
R

rpdawgs

Reaction score
The rep at Verizon installed Advanced task killer and advised me to kill everything when I locked. So i need to uninstall this app?

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
You definitely should - there is a video somewhere around here from Google that explains how the O/S works and why a task killer can cause issues - give me a few and I will link it for you :)

S-f-m-D

dlwhtrose

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
God forsaken desert, wishing to be back in Dixie
I second that on a task killer. However I use lookout on both my Droid and my husbands and have not had any trouble. I actually like lookout. It scans apps that I download and has found some issues with apps.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

Genisis

Reaction score
Although there are no current "known" viruses for our phones, I feel that it will be inevitable that it will happen. You can bet that some sorry SOB is out there working on it at this very moment.

Big Fate

Reaction score
Although there are no current "known" viruses for our phones, I feel that it will be inevitable that it will happen. You can bet that some sorry SOB is out there working on it at this very moment.

I second this...

To say it’s not possible you'd be lying to yourself. It can be done and for the small amount of space it takes up its well worth it because you can never be too sure. I use mp3 downloader’s which is easily virus attachable... And even tho I check the file securely, it can still slip thru the cracks..

So to answer your question, Lookout is a great app and does not drain battery. I use it all the time.... Scans everything you download automatically before allowing to install.